Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Critique please: Some shoots.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39057
Comments: 0

AlfonsoC is offline IP: 84.18.29.4

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Posted in the past some of mine shoots, more than 800 views each thread but no one commented [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (really, don't know if they s*ck or people is too lazy for critique anything who don't show a swimsuit or less).

Anyway, this is another strike. Diana, shoot this Saturday on what we call 'studio bash' (drinks, food, models, MUA's & friends in various percentages). Constructive critique is WELCOMED.

[

View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC

Re: Critique please: Some shoots.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.219.180

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I'm probably one of the last people you want critiquing since I don't have too much experience with this, but I'll try. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I dunno why people didn't comment... I think they're both nice images...

#1: Lighting looks good, nice pose and all, only thing I can see that I noticed right off the bat is her lips look pursed, you know, like she's kinda got her lips pressed together kinda tightly, when I think they should be more relaxed. That's really about it. I like this image.

#2: This one overall I think is nice too, just a few things: The lighting seems a tad uneven on the right side of the background, and I kinda wish your angle of view was shifted just a bit to the right (cropping space from the left, adding space to the right). As it is now, her toe is just barely at the edge, and that's usually the kind of visual tension you don't want. That could be a Sam thing, though... I've said that about other people's images in the past when nobody else did, so it could be just me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Overall what I'm saying is that I think these images are right there... they're both nice images of a lovely girl... just a few little details to make 'em even better. I don't think they suck by any means, but I for one have been lazy on many occasions when it comes to critiquing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hopefully someone with more experience with this will reply. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for sharing your images,

Sam

Oops, forgot my image [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 06-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.247.193.169

While I think your model is quite attractive, her expression in #1 displays anger. Also her jewelery is inconsistant (large white beads/sliver bracelets). This image has a fasion "look" to it rather than a glamour "look".

#2 The inconsistance in the jewelery continues as does her expression. I'm really confused about what's going on with toes on her left foot.

I like the lighting in both images but it's her expressions in both that lessen the quality of these images.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 06-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Alfonso...

Many look at the pretty girls. Few are photographers who care about more than looking at pictures of pretty girls. Even fewer will take the time to critique another person's work because (a) they don't want to be bothered, (b) they don't care about anyone else's work but their own, (c) some are afraid to critique your work for the chance that someone will critique their work (d) some don't feel qualified to critique someone else's work, (e) and the list goes on.

It's a fact of forum life.

To add to the critiques already given... on the first image, you're slightly overexposed. The blown out hair illustrates what I mean. The lighting on #2 is dead on! Unfortunately, her expression (and that left foot) draw the attention.

rwd

This is Nicole...

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 06-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Yep that toe thing almost looks like a miss placed pinky! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

theres also something dangling betweent he chair and the arm...I think its her hair...but Im not sure...so thats a bit of a distraction.

Don.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37352

washedup is offline IP: 12.208.114.23

I love the lighting on the first image. The only thing that I would have done different is add a reflector (lower camera right) to add some fill and to the open up her face (and eyes) a little more. My two cents. Keep shootin'
  View Public Profile Send a private message to washedup Find More Posts by washedup

Pardon us Americans
Old 06-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.78

The majority on this forum are Americans so if you had 800 hits before and no comments then you are a victim of the roller coaster of dealing with Americans. The reason people do not comment can be as some others have stated here and some times it can be as simple as they liked it but did not feel excited enough about it to tell you so.

Also when we in America comment about fashion there are less than two percent of the photographers who post on this forum make any money shooting fashion or understanding American fashion trends much less European trends. However, those individuals rarely critique images here unless they totally hate the image or totally love it. So when we who do reply tell you that we do not like the 'fashion' it is all about our taste not necessarily our knowledge.

#1 - Yes lips are pursed but if you were shooting fashion I would expect to see words on the page that expressed the concept and how the pose and expression matched the art director's concept for the ad. Keep in mind here that once again most here do not shoot with a particular concept in mind other than the holy grail of this model is beautiful and I want to capture her beauty in my style. All I see here that is shall we say inconsistent in my mind, is you cropped off her fingers. I see this in Elle Magazine ads on occasion but it bothers me more here than there. The bracelet shows it's opening, if you are to have her wear it then we should see an uninterrupted shape, not a disconnected one. Your low shooting angle and her hip position makes her hips look wider than I would like to see them, but then again the concept was yours.

#2 - I do not like the crop at all there is way too much headroom. However if again it is for a preconceived advertisement and that is where the type will go then I still do not like it because it becomes two boxes on top of one another. There is a spec of trash or something on the floor which should have been Photoshopped out or something because as clean as the background and floor are it sticks out and grabs my attention everytime. Again the bracelet on the left hand shows me it's open side, it is not a continuous shape. The hair on her right side draws attention because everything thing else seems to be smooth and flowing but that one strand is off on it's own.

These are my thoughts. I do not know what your concept was or if you were actually shooting for a pre-conceived advertisement. Never become discouraged because of no replies to your image. I am not sure how it is in Spain but in America we have any number of reasons we can give for not doing something or for doing something.

Thanks for sharing and for your support of Garage Glamour.

View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Re: Pardon us Americans
Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

You mean I have to get naked to get noticed around here? I am so there!!!
Be expecting my next thread Admiral Mike!
Don.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.78

Okay, I'll make a public comment. Do you for a moment think that you and DeeAnn have not been noticed? I guess you can wander through my posts and replies, like my one earlier today to a Spanish friend. GG is a drug. It provides a way to feed what tears at your soul. You hope the drug makes you feel better but you run the risk it may disappoint you. The key is 'why did it disappoint you?'. Is it as many fear that you are not where you believe you are? Or is it more likely you are asking peers and sub-peers to help you with what churns their gut? When in reality those whose work you admire and in fact whose talent you may worship (read this ain't Mike), do not comment on your images when you post? I have lost track of the number of images I have posted that never got even a negative much less an attaboy.

Until each of us learns to appease the demon critique within each of us we will only wallow and roll around trying to appease people who do not know for an instance what we were wanting to achieve in a grouping of pixels presented in a colliseum of people wanting to see a a car wreck, or raw sex.

The art starts first within the mind of the artist. The success is a like a marriage, sometimes it is bliss and everyone feels rewarded and somedays it is a violate revulsion where someone, anyone regardless of credential, says 'It does not work for me'.

You know what? So what? If you post an image on the evening news of MJ and the fact that he is 'not guilty', think for a moment what 12 people decided means to so many, and for a moment those with skin in the game.

DON, HEAR ME! Channel your love and creativity into channels that matter for YOU AND THOSE THAT YOU LOVE. The rest of us are static noise in your listening time.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Okay you lost me in my Venture to create some humor! waka waka chuckle chuckle Mike....not sure where you went with this one...but my thread was for soley for humors sake...maybe its time I shut up and move over...
Don.