Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
ever again
Old 05-28-2005, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 67.127.184.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Heres another shot of Ever.. This time I used a fill flash.. Cropped, levels, and sharpened in PS. Does this work? Im not sure about the pose.. Please comment.. I can take it!! Makes me stronger RAWR!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Re: ever again
Old 05-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Randy,

The second one really works, it's easily the best of this bunch you've posted so far, IMHO. you've got good focus, the yellow cast works to add nighttime mystery to the whole thing, you've got the bars and the long hallway falling away behind her, a very nice shot.

The first one seems quite soft, focus wise, and the way she's turned makes her look fairly thick in the middle, no offense meant to the yong lady.

Nice work, though,

Shannon
my website

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 05-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40246

thomasfallon is offline IP: 65.16.69.79

There is an old saying in photography: "Light the money." This means to light the most important thing. I think placing the model's face in shadow is a bad idea. Since she has a round face, as most people do, it is also a bad idea to light the side of her head, making her face look wider and more round. A flattering light for most people is modified butterfly lighting, aka loop lighting. In photo 1 for example, this would have the light coming from the opposite side and with light where you have shadow and shadow where you have light. This would light the short or narow side of her face and leave the broad side in shadow. This makes the face more appear more oval. I realize you can't move the sun to the other side, so just turn the model the other way - a mirror image of this pose. I think another good rule on lighting would be - main light visible in both eyes. The unusual lighting you have here would be for some special purpose - it is not bread and butter lighting. One more suggestion is that you may find a reflector easier to use than fill flash, particularly while you are getting your chops down, Best regards.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to thomasfallon Visit thomasfallon's homepage! Find More Posts by thomasfallon

Old 05-30-2005, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

insanepinoy is offline IP: 68.122.195.208

[ QUOTE ]
Randy,

The second one really works, it's easily the best of this bunch you've posted so far, IMHO. you've got good focus, the yellow cast works to add nighttime mystery to the whole thing, you've got the bars and the long hallway falling away behind her, a very nice shot.

The first one seems quite soft, focus wise, and the way she's turned makes her look fairly thick in the middle, no offense meant to the yong lady.

Nice work, though,

Shannon

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!! 1 for 3 hehe.. I was begninng to think none of my shots from that night were good enough. But I'd rather make mistakes now than later. It was kind of ironic because that scenario is from my high school I graduated from and I used to have one of those lockers right behind her. I would have never thought I would be back there to do a photo shoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

My model IS "fairly thick" and I was being challenged by her figure. I dont have experience shooting models but are "thick" women harder to work with? If so how do you go about working with them? I hope I dont offend anyone by this question. I just wasnt sure how to approach the question.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
There is an old saying in photography: "Light the money." This means to light the most important thing. I think placing the model's face in shadow is a bad idea. Since she has a round face, as most people do, it is also a bad idea to light the side of her head, making her face look wider and more round. A flattering light for most people is modified butterfly lighting, aka loop lighting. In photo 1 for example, this would have the light coming from the opposite side and with light where you have shadow and shadow where you have light. This would light the short or narow side of her face and leave the broad side in shadow. This makes the face more appear more oval. I realize you can't move the sun to the other side, so just turn the model the other way - a mirror image of this pose. I think another good rule on lighting would be - main light visible in both eyes. The unusual lighting you have here would be for some special purpose - it is not bread and butter lighting. One more suggestion is that you may find a reflector easier to use than fill flash, particularly while you are getting your chops down, Best regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas.. I see what your saying and will definitely keep this in mind for sure. It also refreshes my memory from a reading a while back, cant recall where though, but describes what you are saying. The reading sampled different lighting techniques for different facial figures. Its killing me now that I dont recall where I read it from, it could come in real handy now. Also, Ill keep aware of having the catchlights too. I guess everything will start to sink in long term memory once I start shooting more often. So much to learn so much to remember.. But its all worth it!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Randy,

The first thing a model under thirty says to me (usually) is 'can you make me look thinner? The first thing a model over thirty says is 'can you make me look younger?' and THEN she says 'and can you make me look thinner?"

Heavier people are hard to work with only in that they rarely want to look as heavy as they are which puts you in the position of trickster/charlatan when it comes to finshed product.

There are a million tricks, some for shooting, some for post, but, at this stage of your shooting career, I wouldn't spend too much time trying tricks, I'd spend every minute I could shooting. If that girl is a friend of yours shoot again as soon as possible and try to do something totally diferent from the last set.(Looking at her, I bet she smiles like a million bucks) You have other friends, male and female, who will wander around in the world with you and let you try different setups...

What I'm trying to say is, don't get too hung up worrying about and fixing stuff, or beating yourself up because you didn't get a Vogue Magazine Cover shot your second time out of the box, get hung up on getting out in the world shooting, it's the best way to learn.

Have a great holiday,

Shannon
my web site
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37943

cindavphoto is offline IP: 216.229.94.144

I like the second one best. You just need to tone down the overhead lights.

The first one is getting there, but the t-shirt is to scrunched up and I think it makes her look bigger than she is. Also, the sky has no color in it. I've been expierementing some with metering for the background and then using fill flash or reflectors for the face. Haven't got to many that are right on yet, but getting closer.

Cinnamon
Pose has already been ripped to shreds, but the lighting was just what I wanted.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cindavphoto Visit cindavphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by cindavphoto

Old 05-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Randy,

The first thing a model under thirty says to me (usually) is 'can you make me look thinner? The first thing a model over thirty says is 'can you make me look younger?' and THEN she says 'and can you make me look thinner?"

Heavier people are hard to work with only in that they rarely want to look as heavy as they are which puts you in the position of trickster/charlatan when it comes to finshed product.

There are a million tricks, some for shooting, some for post, but, at this stage of your shooting career, I wouldn't spend too much time trying tricks, I'd spend every minute I could shooting. If that girl is a friend of yours shoot again as soon as possible and try to do something totally diferent from the last set.(Looking at her, I bet she smiles like a million bucks) You have other friends, male and female, who will wander around in the world with you and let you try different setups...

What I'm trying to say is, don't get too hung up worrying about and fixing stuff, or beating yourself up because you didn't get a Vogue Magazine Cover shot your second time out of the box, get hung up on getting out in the world shooting, it's the best way to learn.

Have a great holiday,

Shannon
my web site

[/ QUOTE ]

Shannon,

Thanks for the inspiring reply. Im glad I can always come to this site for positive feedback and useful info during my first stages of shooting.

I plan on shooting again with this model since she is understanding and wiling to work with me. I'll have to find some ways for her not to look 'heavy'. What ways can I accomplish this? Shooting and post proccessing...?

By the way.. AWESOME work!

Another shot..

Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
I like the second one best. You just need to tone down the overhead lights.

The first one is getting there, but the t-shirt is to scrunched up and I think it makes her look bigger than she is. Also, the sky has no color in it. I've been expierementing some with metering for the background and then using fill flash or reflectors for the face. Haven't got to many that are right on yet, but getting closer.

Cinnamon
Pose has already been ripped to shreds, but the lighting was just what I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Cinnamon for the reply. Just curious how you shot this image. The tone on her face looks off from the rest of her body. I'll be experimenting with fill flash and reflectors too on my next shoot. Wish me luck!

By the way that B/W shot on your portfolio is a killer! Ambient light?

-randy

Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37943

cindavphoto is offline IP: 216.229.94.144

Randy, Her face was lighter than the rest of her body. She didn't tan her face and I guess didn't change her make-up to match. That's just the way some things go.

I lit that with an external flash on a flash bracket. I was playing with exposure and underexposed that one by a stop and a half or so, to meter for the background, then used the flash for fill for her. It's something I was playing around with all day that day. Sometimes it worked...sometimes it didn't. No reflectors that day.

The b&w shot was done in the studio with studio strobes. Then messed with in photoshop quite a bit.

Cinnamon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cindavphoto Visit cindavphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by cindavphoto