Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
critique it
Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38878
Comments: 0

JohnEBoy is offline IP: 67.114.131.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What do you think of this one?

View Public Profile Send a private message to JohnEBoy Visit JohnEBoy's homepage! Find More Posts by JohnEBoy

Re: critique it
Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay I'll give this one a shot.....
Her skin tones look YELLOW instead of gold or warm....the guitar is too flat to the camera had it been pointing towards or away..it would have given more depth to the image...the lighting overall seems flat ..something with more shadows would have given this image the UMMMMMPH...that it needs for this story line.
okay that wasnt so bad was it?
Don.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43709

thphoto is offline IP: 69.180.87.248

What Don said...and I don't like the backdrop...due to the beauty mark on her lip (which I like) it looks like the spots are starting to spread on her.

Just my 2 cents.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to thphoto Visit thphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by thphoto

What was your objective?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Was the guitar or the model the focus of the shot? As it is now, neither seem to be the focus of the image and so the effectiveness is lost. Because you are on a glamour website, I'm going to assume that she was the focus and I'll continue my critique from that aspect.

The compostion I feel should be vertical or portrait style. By having it landscape you have a lot of dead negative space on the sides, especially the right side. Your logo disrupts this a bit, but your logo also detracts from the model.

The background is distracting, and by having her further from it and using a wider aperture you could lessen the backdrops imposition by using depth of field. Also by exposing your model correctly with light and underexposing the backdrop relative to the model you can make it darker and focus more attention on her. Note that in my example I actually did the opposite to get rid of the background.

Her skin does have a yellow cast to it and the mole appears to have jumped off of the backdrop--both of these have already been mentioned by others though. The pose looks great to me, if a catalog style look is what you were after. By having her look slightly more into the camera you would get a more intimate and sexier feel. The way she is holding the guitar adds to the catalog feel, which isn't bad, but not the best for a glamour type shot.

By holding it more vertical you could focus more on her, because our minds will fill in the missing parts of the guitar if you crop them out. If you even notice it in there, my image has a guitar as well, but its hard to find it in this crop.

Overall, its not a bad image even though I tossed a lot of negatives your way. Its all there for you to use, learn, and improve--or say that I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground and ignore me. For some payback, I'll post my example later for critique and you can tear it apart as well.

View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 05-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 67.38.153.72

I agree with what the others said... I think it would be easier to state what is right with the image.... Survey says.... the model. She looks like she is a lovely lady but this image is just not doing her justice at all. Keep shooting and posting and reading the posts and you will get it soon enough.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Re: What was your objective?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

I appreciate the detailed critique. My objective was long gone at this point. The session happened on short notice and other than having a guitar thats about all we had planned. I do like to have an image in mind first. I did not like the outfit but I was happy to be able to crop it this way. I affect the color and I understand about the background and aperature. Ideally I could get it farther away.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JohnEBoy Visit JohnEBoy's homepage! Find More Posts by JohnEBoy

Old 05-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Now this one is much better. You went vertical and the skin tones are vastly improved. Most importantly, the concentration is on the girl.

I can understand the last minute, "oh look, here is a guitar" thing. That's what happened with my example, and as you can see the guitar barely made it in the picture. I might post one later with more of Jacki and the guitar together, but it falls more into the "cheescake" category.

I'm a big fan of the vertical composition, so others might not think anything of it or notice it. A vertical grip and shutter release is almost a requirement for my cameras because I prefer vertical so much. If you want to read more about it, Rolando talks about it in the photo tips

Alan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

HOLD THE PHONE!!! I like this one!!! nice skin tones, great teasing expression.
the angle of the guitar is much better!!!
Don.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

I think I am a fan of vertical composition as well. All of the shots were vertical except for 3. The first one was shot vertically and I cropped it like I posted. Mostly I can tell the good ones but I may fool myself that I rescued an image in photoshop. Here is another one like that.