Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Critique Away!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Posting my Images back in here.....figure I'm not ready for the main forum just yet.
Critique away.
Don.

Re: Critique Away!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 67.38.153.72

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Don... I am gonna try to do this like JT would.... Cover the top half of all the images... What do you see? Is it flattering to the model?

This part is all mine... I have seen alot of images of this very lovely lady and I have to say that the way her outfit fades into the background gives her the appearance of being larger then she really is. I have to say that these are not vey flattering to her at all. But... keep posting them.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 05-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Why you!! I outta!!!!......lol...okay Scott...lighter background would have been better? or is it just the outfit all together?
Don.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 67.38.153.72

LOL, I think the outfit is fine.... It is the lighting. I think a little seperation between her and the background would help...

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Okay Scott....I was playing with a new set of barndoors and gels...hadnt used them before and I was afraid of casting light all over her.....I think your right though..a bit more seperation!!
Thanks Don.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 24.36.100.191

Don,

Now your smokin'! 2 and 3 are nice and you've caught Dee with great facial expressions.

I like. I do agree on the comment about the background. When you are using dark colored wardrobe, use lighter, contrasting color(s) on the background, or light the background up more for better separation.

View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 05-22-2005, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Don

Here are a few things I see.

Image 1: As Scott mentioned below, the way she's posed and the way that the dress is spread out makes the model look pretty wide. Given the type of material in the dress, you'd have to be a REALLY SMALL model to NOT look wide in that pose. Also, the tilt of her head is a little off -- it may be tilted to portray "cute" or "carefree" but it just looks a little tilted.

Image 2 -- the first thing I noticed was the hat. But, it didn't LOOK like a hat. There's not enough of the hat in the image to clearly identify it at a glance, so it becomes a distraction. If you "take the tour" of everything that's in the frame when you shoot, you'll start noticing things like that. You have to make a decision to recompose or drop the hat.

Image 3 - I'm going to use image 3 to talk about the lighting overall. The color of the background and the color of the dress aren't different enough to cause separation and not complementary enough to fade together. You're in the no-man's-land between contrasting and complementary color. Particularly with that dress you probably need contrasting.

The lighting in general drops off on the right side of the image. Again, with that dress it promotes a more even light and more light. This is matching the mood to the mode -- the fashion needs to be integrated with the lighting. This is more a portrait lighting or boudoir lighting and you have a nice Sunday dress.

Image 3 also has that hot spot on the background that looks like a portrait effect or an attempt to separate the model from the background. Good thought -- just not enough light and the background's color isn't helping you.

Image 3 is really getting somewhere. Nice expression from the model. Nice sexiness with the Sunday dress used to expose and entice.

Bottom line -- two suggestions. Match your lighting (and background) to the mood of the piece. Take a careful "tour" of the viewfinder whenever you compose and see what you've got. It's important to make sure the eyes are in focus, etc, but the money comes in the rest of the details!

Keep shooting!

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

Hi Don,

I like the vibrancy you have been getting with your stuff lately. I need to get better with my own lights. The dress is nice here as well.

Just a few minor things to point out. In #3 I see you are employing the finger clipping technique I appear to be trying to make famous.

I am no expert, but in #2 you might have been just a split second off the expression you wanted. Dee's expression looks close to some that I have seen in your other images, but it almost looks like it was starting to fade. If you are like me, it's hard to judge your own images thoroughly after looking at them for a while in PS.

#3 is my favorite of the three. Keep that pose for your pose book.

Greg

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour