Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Flat?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326
Comments: 0

DeanP is offline IP: 67.161.141.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I went back to a single light. I used a softbox to camera right and a sunsoft reflector to left to try to add a little fill. Does it look like there is more depth this time. I realize it kinda blends into the bg, should I have used another light on the bg to add separation or does this work? Going to stick with one light and a reflector for a while and get rid of my flat looking images one way or the other

Softbox was like you said Don, I placed it a bit in front of her and it almost faced straight across the room. Was really amazed as I turned it how the light wrapped around even though it was not pointing at her. Then watched the shadows as the reflector was turned.

So please tell me there is SOME depth to this... actually, tell me what you think, I'm getting pretty good at going back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your comments,
Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DeanP Find More Posts by DeanP

Re: Flat?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
sonicstage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.233.53.30

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would add a light to the background and/or and a hair light on the upper left (behind subject) to give it some more depth. Just my two cents.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Dean thats much better than one you did before...but the light looks a bit HOT on her left side..Heres an experiment you can try..meter the light at f5.6 right next to her face..then shoot it at three differente exposures...try all the way down to f4 and then move your exposures up to one stop at a time to 5.6...see which one you like best...if its slightly underexposed its easier to fix in photoshop than being over exposed...try the background lights, and a hair light...if you cant BOOM it over head..make sure its as far back from her as you can get it....I've found if its too close in degree of angle...it spills on her face really easily. Booming it would be much easier to prevent that...but I dont have a booming rig..so I keep my hair light clear back even with the background and as high over her head as I can get it, my hair light in this one...was back and to my left...with barn doors that I extended with some black foam core pieces about 12" square and taped to the side doors so I can make a small strip of light... I used no fill or reflector..so the shadows were more dramatic, but I had to make sure...I had enuff light from my soft box not to lose the right eye. This was shot at ISO 200 1/125th at f5.6
Don.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Dean notice the little shadow next to her nose..the shorter this shadow the more straight on your light source.... try this experiment with your single light source..imagine you have her placed in the middle of circle from where your light source is..move your light source along the axis of a semi circle..take a shot at 12 oclock..move to one oclock take another shot...keep moving the light until you get to three oclock...flat to her left..heck even move it behind her a bit I found this position works great for dramatic b&w conversions..and watch the shadows move..dont worry about getting a perfect image..just use this exercise to see the shadows.. then go back and start over at twelve oclock.. raise your light a bit and do the whole process over...take notes as to which placement created the best shadows for you. I think you'll find that somewhere between one and three oclock will give you some drama in your shadows.
its bores the model to death...but its great for you to be able to see the shadows working..once you start to see the shadows..you will be able to find the light...DeAnn finds it funny the way I stare at her after I move the lights..because Im looking at the shadows and not her..have your model turn slowly opposite your light source and watch the shadows change..if you see something you like....tell her to WHOA!! right there!!!
Don.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40246

thomasfallon is offline IP: 65.16.69.79

No need to go back to the drawing board. You can go forward from here. I'd place a reflector opposite the softbox from behind to add some kick and seprate her from the background a bit. She has great hair, so it badly needs some emphasis with lighting. A mirror could light her hair, if you want to stay with one light. The biggest improvement you could make here would be a gobo to feather the light off her arms. Finally, the main is a tad low by traditional standards. If this is a rectangular box, you should be using it turned with the long dimension front to back. This will improve the wrap-around effect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to thomasfallon Visit thomasfallon's homepage! Find More Posts by thomasfallon

Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks, yes, rectangle box. Have been using it with the long side up and down. Really never thought about turning it, will try that next time, as well as adding some fill to the hair. Appreciate the comments.

Dean

Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I usually try to bracket -1 0 +1 on most shots. not always though because i forget what im supposed to be doing, which is also remembering to write information down Next time, I think I will hook up the laptop to proof some of the shots. I've noticed that what looks good in the LCD, really doesn't look good on the monitor, and its hard to determine what looks exposed correctly in the little screen. I'll do some more playing with exposures. Still trying to figure out why if my meter says f8, and i shoot that with the digital, it is overexposed, seems to come out looking closer if the digital is set to f11 or 13. I did check my meter agains one at a studio in town, and my meter read the same as the other photographers. This digital world is still pretty new to me, might be one of the quirks with the camera. Hoping Friday to try some more shots. Thanks again Don [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dean