Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Good or hideous? An image for critique
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793
Comments: 0

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a recent experiment for me to get a dark and mysterious feel, and I personally really like the results. Some of you have commented on it in an earlier post, but I recently heard it was not quite up to par on a critique site. Could you please leave some thoughts here so I can deterimine if I should pull it from the portfolio?

View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Re: Good or hideous? An image for critique
Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40425
My Mood:

vpsteve is offline IP: 67.121.82.182

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like the pose and feel, but I think her skin needs work. I can see stretch marks on her bottom and wrinkles on her upper arm. Both are very easily taken care of in PS. I would also PS out whatever it is hanging from the top of the frame.
I would normally like to see more light on her face, but because of the effect you were going for I'll leave that to your taste. Let's see more!

VPsteve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vpsteve Visit vpsteve's homepage! Find More Posts by vpsteve

Some of your suggestions used.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
...I think her skin needs work. I can see stretch marks on her bottom and wrinkles on her upper arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is some PS work, I left the background because I think it helps break up that blackness in the upper right.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 68.74.106.83

The skin really ruins it for me. The other aspects of the image are ok but not really my taste so I will leave that part for others to comment on.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 05-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.216.151

What's up Alan? I read the critique from PhotoSIG... first off, my opinion on exposure is this: the exposure's only bad if you're not happy with it. Having said that, the main thing I'd have issues with exposure-wise here is her thong. It's really bright. I think it tries to be the focal point of the image when it really shouldn't be. Considering the mood you're going for, it might've been nice if it was black or something like that.

I think the composition overall is strong, though. Dunno if you do this or not, but one way you can tell for sure your composition is good is to flip the image horizontally (or look at it in a mirror) -- it can sometimes help you spot problem areas after you've been looking at an image at the same orientation for a while. Another thing that's helpful is to Gaussian Blur the image 'til nothing's left but light and shadow (no detail). This is pretty helpful in evaluating the important areas of the image and where your eye is likely to go. Of course, remove the blur when you're through. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I like how the image is almost split down the diagonal length of it, and her left arm makes a nice almost-perpendicular diagonal to the line created by her leg, butt, and top of the couch. There's lots of diagonals here -- very dynamic (even though she's just sitting.) One thing I might consider doing is burning the very thin vertical strip of light in the top right corner of the image just a bit. In my mind it tries to pull your eye there a little more than it should.

So what am I trying to say? I'm saying that I think the image is strong, but it needs just a little bit more work done to it. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm harpin' on you or anything -- not trying to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And by all means keep experimenting! Maybe one of these days I'll take my own advice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Later!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Some of your suggestions used.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40425
My Mood:

vpsteve is offline IP: 67.121.82.182

Much better.

VPsteve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vpsteve Visit vpsteve's homepage! Find More Posts by vpsteve

Thanks Sam
Old 05-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I feel like I just got an education in graphic arts. I've decided to keep the image in the portfolio, because I'm happy with it until I can try it again and do it better. I like the tricks for testing composition though--I've never heard of those before. I've been experimenting a lot recently with the lighting and adding diagonals to the images, so I'm glad you picked up on that.

Here is another from the experiment, with a different model on a different day...

Re: Thanks Sam
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.209.86

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I just got an education in graphic arts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what most of my formal training is in, so I guess that showed through this time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Man I just think it's cool you're actually out there experimenting. I'm still trying to determine my N+, N, and N- development times (and the ISOs to use with each) before I even start doing any real shooting again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Again, if you're basically new to all this, then I think you've got a strong eye for this sorta thing (I really do, not trying to blow smoke up you or anything). Just keep workin', shootin' and postin'! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40246

thomasfallon is offline IP: 65.16.69.79

I looked at your portfolio and I think it is the weakest image you have. My vote is pull it. Too much going on in it. Try turning it upside down and see where your eye goes. It doesn't know where to go. I like your other work much better.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to thomasfallon Visit thomasfallon's homepage! Find More Posts by thomasfallon