Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
An Honor and a Privelege...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793
Comments: 0

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some of you might recall that I was having trouble finding models. This weekend however, I was able to work with one of our own Garage Glamour models, who I had a wonderful time working with--JackiM

Before I post the images, let me give you a little background on my mental state working up to the shoot. Jacki came along when my opinion of models was pretty low, after sending out over 500 referrals at the other damned place and not having a single model work with me. Over a month ago when Jacki said that I could work with her, I thought she was joking. I've heard that before from many other models, but then, the model vanishes when I get my calendar out. But, Jacki held true to her word, and showed up exactly on time looking beautiful as always.

Up to this point I was excited, in shock, and skeptical—afraid that if I merely thought of the shoot I would surely jinx myself in to a cancellation. But, now that she was obviously serious, I was terrified. After all, I'm just a guy with a camera that fakes knowing how to use my camera, and I had an beautiful, experienced professional in front of me--on my third shoot. Fortunately, I had some ideas and Jacki was able to understand what I was explaining despite my nervous stuttering. This is when I learned a few things about Jacki and my skills.

She knows exactly what pose do and when. I didn't give any direction at all, partly because a tiger had my tongue--the proverbial cat is way too small to explain my condition with which I was inflicted. Also, it is very difficult to take a bad picture of Jacki, and when I did it was clearly my fault. And finally, she is truly a sweet and wonderful woman who is a joy to work and talk with (once you aren't intimidated anymore). Hopefully I will have the honor and privilege to work with her again soon.

Anyway, here are some images of Jacki. I'll post more soon in a continuing series...

For those of you who care, all of the images were done with a Nikon D100, AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D, and a blind and retarded monkey pushing the shutter release. The boxing series was natural light balanced with a flash bounced in a white umbrella. The photo in the pink shirt is all natural light. The apeture on all three is f/2.8.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Re: An Honor and a Privelege...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42806

vsrdan is offline IP: 24.208.88.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Great images! I like the boxing images. The furniture blends nicely into image (second one).

[ QUOTE ]
She knows exactly what pose do and when. I didn't give any direction at all,

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfway through my last photoshoot I experienced the same. I realized it was better I didn't say anything and let the model to pose whatever she thought good. Latter half of the session, therefore, gave better results (images J-3022 and J-3150). Hard part was that I had few milliseconds to capture the pose [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan

Old 05-10-2005, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43319

kwik67 is offline IP: 69.231.44.2

dam skippy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kwik67 Find More Posts by kwik67

Old 05-10-2005, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Nice. I like the second "boxer" image best. But watch your details - why the plate & cup behind her, and her right foot? Still, very, very nice.

Thanks for sharing, and hopefully you've broken your "model-less curse" Can't imagine a better way.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Details and a sacrifice...
Old 05-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
But watch your details - why the plate & cup behind her, and her right foot?

[/ QUOTE ] The plate and cup are remnants from a previous shot that were forgotten...as BobbyG says, "Pay attention to details." The foot was a sacrifice to fit most of Jacki in the frame. My back was up against the wall and that was about the best framing I could manage with my lens. Both cases fall into the my fault, not hers category I mentioned[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Thanks Alan!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35261

JackiM is offline IP: 12.221.141.119

You did great and I had a great time working with you I am sure you will make plenty of Chicago contacts who will help you even more. I will work with you any time. I can't wait to see more from our shoot. Talk with you soon [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JackiM Find More Posts by JackiM

Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Nicely Done...
However..... Im not sure Im getting the connection between boxing gloves and breakfast nook?....would have a better impact to me in a dark setting....JMO
other than that...Wow! Nice Images!
Don.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure Im getting the connection between boxing gloves and breakfast nook?....would have a better impact to me in a dark setting

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right. A wet t-shirt and skin would have also helped. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of those or access to a darker setting and the idea evolved into this. I still am really happy with this strange juxtaposition of boxing gloves and the turret office.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Bro, I really dig the boxing images. You've inspired me!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40246

thomasfallon is offline IP: 65.16.69.79

Nice images. Regarding hiring models, just make sure you are giving a professional image. Maybe this model could offer you some insight since you have a rapport with her. Some models themselves aren't very professional and seldom check emails they have listed. Look for models who have recently updated the portfolio. Regarding being a little intimidated, just be straight forward and say you haven't much experience. These images show you do have talent. I think you should find it easy to hire more models.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to thomasfallon Visit thomasfallon's homepage! Find More Posts by thomasfallon