Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can\'t find my style - opinions please
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Last week was filled with three great shoots. And while the images look fine, and the models are elated (always great) I'm not sure that I'm developing a unique "style." Is it acceptable to not have a recognized style, or will it stiffle my attempts to get noticed?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: Can\'t find my style - opinions please
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Marty,
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that I'm developing a unique "style." Is it acceptable to not have a recognized style, or will it stiffle my attempts to get noticed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, who are you trying to get noticed by? Are they likely to call you because you fill a need in a particular style, or would they call you just cause you shoot real pretty shots of very good lookin' wimmen?

The problem, IMHO, of developing a style that gets you known is that you run the risk of being typecast into that style.

"Oh, let's call Marty, cause he does the 50's retro look so well. Too bad he can't shoot that 19 year old at the water park, cause she's just around the corner from him."

To illustrate my point.. remember when one of our local bikes&babes shooters showed off some work he did with a model at one of the Stockyards B&B's? That surprised me quite a bit (and from talking with some of the other locals, I wasn't the only one) since it wasn't (a) in the studio and (b) there wasn't a motor-sickle anywhere in the pictures! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now, anyone in his right mind would know that Darryl can shoot in many different situations.. it's just that we don't normally see the other images all that much, and so it's what we tend to expect out of him. In all honesty, after watching your portfolios online for a couple of years, the only common thread I see in yours is extremely beautiful women photographed quite elegantly.

Hmmm... maybe you DO have a style, after all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Nice images of Avalon and Hayden, but who's the third young lady? Don't recognize her.

rwd

and just for the heck of it... MayLu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Marty...ummm if your not going to use all your styles...can I have one?
Wow!!!!! Awesome stuff....Id say stay Diverse!!!!
Im working on getting one right at a time...and your asking this?
Geeeze!!! lol
Don.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38762

Foto_Highway is offline IP: 24.253.146.62

I wouldnt worry about "style". I find these pix very appealing, the models did, and I'm sure you do too. What else matters?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Foto_Highway Visit Foto_Highway's homepage! Find More Posts by Foto_Highway

Old 05-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 151.201.6.10

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that I'm developing a unique "style."

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm an old fart, so maybe this is all a distorted point of view, but ...

You work hard to learn the technical issues - exposure, color, DOF, choice of lens, lighting - all that stuff. At the same time, you try to develop an understanding of framing, composition, color, subject - all the more aesthetic issues. But style - style involves your own personal vision. Your ability to execute an image in your own style is something that takes a great deal of time for most. And in many cases, isn't really desirable.

OK, so that's not advice. What I'd suggest is that you keep photographing. When appropriate, focus on making the client happy; when working for yourself, just focus on making you happy. I don't have a style (no style at all - just ask my wife), but I suspect it's one of those zen things - the harder you try, the longer it takes.

You're quite good. Consistently. Now just keep being quite good, keep exploring your vision.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 24.1.179.246

I love all of these styles. I've been quietly lurking and looking for a 'style' myself, but am completely consumed trying to duplicate what I see here. Better to fall on my face while crawling before walking erect.

If you ever need an assistant in the DFW area...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 63.184.145.127

Marty:

I think you need to define style. Many photographers don't have a noticeable "style" per se. Avedon had a style. Ritts (undoubtedly) had a style. But while they are two of my most admired photographers, I don't always know if it's a DeMarchelier or a Scavullo. I can usually spot a Freytag but Stephen Wayda treads right up to Arny's "style" and I sometimes think a Wayda is a Freytag.

Freytag's style is a wholistic approach to lighting,posing,and composition. It is a highly technical style. This is what you appear to be moving towards. I can usually spot a MacFarland and can easily spot a Crosslin and in most ways these are identifiable by the technical quality of the images.

I think the important thing is not to go looking for a style. Style as I believe you're asking, is a soul product. It is the "magic" beyond technique. This is the call you answer from your heart, not your ledger ... you don't do it because you think it will sell. You do it because you can't NOT do it.

BTW, your work is excellent and I am extremely envious of you. "Last week, three great shoots"! I'm trying (between the day job and other esponsibilities) to get three a month!

Chin Up,
Jim Neumann
BLUEFROG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BLUEFROG Find More Posts by BLUEFROG

Old 05-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42400

MartinaSmith is offline IP: 24.91.85.52

Oh hon, didn't you know? Most people who have a certain style don't realise it till someone points it out.
When I was reading up on who, what, where, why and how on photography and styles. I had desided to just do the very best I could. Learn from my picture mistakes and let my style develop however it desided to.
Yur pics look glamourous, classy, beautiful. I think that's a style most people want to get to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Maybe you are already there and don't know it yet?

Marty
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MartinaSmith Find More Posts by MartinaSmith

Old 05-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

Thanks for all the opinions, advice and positive comments. The blond model is D'Ann (a local promotional model).

My "style" question came about one day when I was walking throught the mall with my wife and walked into an Ann Taylor store where I immediately recognized the photography as that of Anne Lebowitz. In the frame store I recognized paintings from Norman Rockwell and Picasso. Then at home we saw a preview for an episode of CSI directed by Quintin Tarrentino. All of those people have a recognizable "style." On this forum I can usually recognize the bikini shots of Andy McFarlin (or is it Andy Pearlman), the white eyes and motorcycles of Darryl Briggs, the golden-light glamour of Johnny Crosslin, and the strong background lighting of Michael Juliet.

Without a unique and appealing "style" are we all at risk of becoming just good "studio musicians" -- great at our craft, but always playing in the background?

Here's another image of Hayden -
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 05-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.191.220

Style is one of those elusive, sometimes mysterious things, almost Zenlike, which generally sneaks up on you when you are not looking. The more we intentionally try to find a 'style', the more elusive it becomes. Trying too hard can cause our work to be repetitive and forced looking. It's best to just shoot, then shoot some more and one day the 'style' will find you, not the other way around.
My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester