Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Just To Irritate Rolando: Available Light
Old 05-02-2005, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'll be posting a review/summary of my impressions of Rolando's workshop later today, but I thought I'd post this one.

Long story short, this shot was taken in a studio with a nice lighting setup which I did not use. The only light is the modeling lamp in the strobe. Handheld at ISO 400, metered in-camera at 1/50, f1.8 (should've gone up a third or so just so as not to be at the bottom of the aperture range, but I was not in a steady position and I didn't want to slow it down any more.)

I wish she didn't have that hair over her eye - it kept falling down - but otherwise I kinda like it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Re: Just To Irritate Rolando: Available Light
Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.69.218

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using the modeling lamp from the strobe as the sole source of light, this isn't "available light", any more than if you used the strobe itself.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Marc,

Though I would guess you're just pulling his leg over something he said at the workshop (though, for the life of me, I don't know how anyone can remember everything that man says at one of his workshops... and says... and says... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I get the impression that Rolando appreciates all kinds of good images with pretty girls... and yours definitely qualifies in that regard! Very nice image!

I've gotta remember to take my monopod to his workshop in Dallas this June.. like you, I found some of my better stuff was shot available light and I'm just too old and shaky to hand-hold without some assistance any more.

This is Andy O lit with modeling lights only, from Rolando's workshop in Dallas last year.

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 05-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

[ QUOTE ]
Marc,

Though I would guess you're just pulling his leg over something he said at the workshop (though, for the life of me, I don't know how anyone can remember everything that man says at one of his workshops... and says... and says... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I get the impression that Rolando appreciates all kinds of good images with pretty girls... and yours definitely qualifies in that regard! Very nice image!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I have a trick memory: it's not quite photographic, if you'll pardon the expression, but I remember almost everything that's said or done in front of me if I'm paying attention. Also, he asked me to remember some of his better quotes while he was in the "Zone." (The Padron zone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

You are not wrong: technically speaking, since the lamp was placed there for photographic purposes, it's not "available light," which is generally equated, according to my VERY cursory research, with "existing light," which is generally held to include all natural illumination and all pre-existing sources of illumination.

However, much as I appreciate a good nitpick, in my opinion it's not totally unreasonable to refer to a modeling lamp, in a scene which was meant to be photographed using a strobe or other transient light source, as "available light." It might be *wrong* but it's not *illogical.* [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

M

Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38762

Foto_Highway is offline IP: 24.253.146.62

[ QUOTE ]

Though I would guess you're just pulling his leg over something he said at the workshop (though, for the life of me, I don't know how anyone can remember everything that man says at one of his workshops... and says... and says... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I love Rolando! Mostly because of what he says and says. He is very friendly and I enjoy talking to him...well listening , mostly , i guess
Julia at GG Williamsburg Workshop 2004:

View Public Profile Send a private message to Foto_Highway Visit Foto_Highway's homepage! Find More Posts by Foto_Highway

Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.69.218

Or, going the other way logically, ALL light is available light - in that, it's "available", as opposed to "unavailable".

"Hey, these 29 super-strobes were available, and I used 'em. It's 'available light'".

If there were no "available light", as in "no light available", photography would be impossible.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41395
Send a message via MSN to HankP

HankP is offline IP: 209.131.216.105

I think you were shooting over my shoulder.
Hank
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HankP Find More Posts by HankP

I must strongly refute that hypothesis...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

... for reasons which will become clear when my tell-all post on the workshop is posted later today. I know who you are talking about and it was not me. When I did the modeling-lamp shots, I waited in line just like everybody else: I just didn't put the transmitter on my camera when I shot.

I am not offended that you offered this theory, but I wanted to make certain that everyone knew that it was *not* me that was doing this.

M

Re: I must strongly refute that hypothesis...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41395
Send a message via MSN to HankP

HankP is offline IP: 209.131.216.105

wasn't meant to offend, it was more or less a joke.
I have the same image you could almost put them on top of each other.
hope I'm not going to be included in your tell all post......
Hank
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HankP Find More Posts by HankP