Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Comments on lighting please
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40928
Comments: 0

MLyons is offline IP: 196.2.56.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi folks

Anyone care to comment on the lighting on these and give me some pointers.
Model is Caren, a patient friend.
I know the outfit, hair and makeup don't seem to have been given much attention, that's because they haven't [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Images have been processed in a strange sequence, so look a bit fuzzy, but I hope the lighting can still be critted/crittered/critiqued (sp)...AW Shucks, just comment and I'll be happy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks
Martin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MLyons Find More Posts by MLyons

Re: Comments on lighting please
Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 69.243.110.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Personaly I like headshots with hair light, especially on black backgrounds. On the one with the white background you may want to move the key a little higher for more of a loop look. Other than that not much, keep at it!

View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Old 05-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

There are a lot of things I can comment on but basically what you need on this subject is a make up artist and hair care.

As far as lighting is concerned. On the first one it looks like you just set up two lights and pushed the button. It's safe to just set up two lights side by side, meter and push the button.

The one string of hair you should notice and take care of that before shooting the button.

Also it would be better served if it was cropped tighter.

Second image I want to turn my head because of the compositon.

Because of her hair being not being managed properly with her brunette base and old highlights we are losing it in the dark background all together. This image would be better served with a hair light and I think she seriously needs to get her highlights looked into.

Nose shadow is distracting. Also what is the white at the top of the image? I see a hint of rim light on her shoulders and cheek area which is kind of cool. There is also a bump on her jawline by her earlobe that I can't figure out. Looks like a bee sting or a spider bite swell or something.

Again, what is really missed is not so much in lighting as it is styling and an mua. A lot of technical lighting b.s. can be overlooked with good make up and hair.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40928

MLyons is offline IP: 196.2.56.5

Thanks for taking the time to respond JT.

You're right, the hair, makeup and in fact whole "model" does appear to be in need of some attention. (I never noticed the bump on her cheek)
The poor girl is simply a friend who, after much persuasion, agreed to put herself in front of my lens and be a guinea pig.(Without any preparation, I might add)
In all fairness to her, she has no aspirations of being a pro model or anything, but was brave to the end [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The photographer.....well that's another story. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
My first ever shoot with a real person.
I was so non-attentive to detail while I was trying to remember all the other bits and pieces about camera settings, light positions and ratios (the text book stuff) and simply neglected the obvious stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

All too exciting for my old and tired brain I suppose [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

However, I must say I haven't had such a good belly laugh in a long time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I learned how NOT to do things, so my reckoning is that by process of elimination, I will make all the mistakes possible and eventually get to the point where I can produce a reasonable photograph.

With the kind help of the likes of yourself and the other good people on this forum, I'm sure to learn better and quicker than if I attempted to do this on my own.

Your constructive comments are great and I hope to receive more in the near future once I find another "victim" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again JT

Martin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MLyons Find More Posts by MLyons