Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Gels, multiple exposures, and a dragon.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.213.228

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was playing with gels and multiple exposures the other day on one of my dragon statues, so I thought I'd share one of the pics from the session.

If anyone wants to know the specs just ask... I got 'em written down around here somewhere, just not handy right now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Sam

View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Gels, multiple exposures, and a dragon.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 151.201.45.232

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Beautiful. I, for one, would like to know how you did it. At your convenience.

Your dragon's prettier, but mine smells stronger.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.213.228

Thanks John! Here's the specs...

Contax 645 - 80mm lens - Agfa RSX II 100 slide film

There are actually four exposures on that frame, though it could've been done with two if I wasn't limited by my equipment. I had the dragon statue sitting on black cloth, with black seamless further behind. I had three lights on the dragon and one on the background.

1st exposure - Monolight camera-left in front, "snooted" with Cinefoil, gelled orange, metered at f6.7
Background light w/40º grid, gelled blue, metered at f5.6
2nd exposure - Medium softbox camera-right in front, gelled purple, metered at f3.4 (had to push the test button on the pack four times while the shutter was held open to get the f stop to f5.6)
3rd exposure - Monolight camera-right behind the dragon, snooted with Cinefoil, gelled red, metered at f2.4 (pushed the test button three times)
4th exposure - Don't know how familiar you are with the Contax 645, but it doesn't have a "bulb" feature, unfortunately (at least if there is one, I can't find it! longest is 8 seconds), and the little monolights I have are very low wattage (like 100 or so), so I had to finish pushing the test button on the red-gelled light on this last exposure to get to the f-stop I wanted, f5.6.

The lens was set to f6.5 for all exposures. In the first exposure I focused on the dragon's head. On the rest I threw the whole thing out of focus to really make the head pop. Or at least that was the idea.

And, um, I think that about covers it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I saw images similarly done in still-life books and I wanted to try and see if I could do something like it. Mine doesn't look quite as good as theirs, of course, but I'm working on it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hey, like your dragon, btw. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So what type of lizard is that exactly? My friend's got BUNCHES of exotic animals... mostly snakes. They're absolutely beautiful! I'd love to get those snakes in my studio one of these days.

Take care!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

I knew a dragon once. . .
Old 04-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436
Comments: 0

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.161

he was obsequious, obnoxious and had baaadd breath!

View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Whew - that's a beautiful picture, but that's a LOT of work - the planning and actual execution. Thanks muchly for the info. Never tried multiple exposures, even though my K1000 did have (does have?) a B. Maybe I'll see if I still have a roll of film hanging out in the freezer...

The beastie is a bearded dragon - an Australian breed that has become quite popular in Europe and the US as a pet - among those who like reptilian pets. They're about a foot long (so large enough to handle, but not large enough to be a significant safety issue), rather hardy and disease resistant, and seem to be rather intelligent (for lizards) and even social.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm going to copy it down, along with the image. I confess a partiality to dragons.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Re: I knew a dragon once. . .
Old 04-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.179.29

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the reply! Oh, btw, the Ascension painting in your portfolio is gorgeous. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Yeah, this is the second time I've tried something like this setup. The first time took me seven hours to get only seventeen shots! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It's a slow process, but it's worth it when you end up with something you're happy with. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a thing for dragons, too. I used to watch "Flight of Dragons" over and over when I was younger. And I think I was the only one who liked "Reign of Fire" when it came out, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oh, and that special on Discovery (or was it Animal Planet?), "Dragon's World: A Fantasy Made Real". And not to mention all the statuettes, books... well, you get the idea. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 04-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.162.72.18

love the colors but would like to see a bit more DOF.

btw, if you're a dragon person, did you read Eragon? and if so, do you know when the sequel might be coming out?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.165.143

My daughter is reading the Eragon, she says the second one should be out in October.

DeAnn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Old 04-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

I do have one where the whole thing is in focus, not as many colors though, but for the lift of me I don't remember taking that picture....

I haven't read "Eragon", but it looks like the sequel is already out, according to Amazon. It says the full title is "Eragon: Inheritance, Book 1", and there's another called "Eldest: Inheritance, Book 2" that's there. Is that it?

Sam