Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Losing Detail in Hair!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Feel free to critique this one...but Im also wondering if there is a way to avoid losing Detail in Hair when doing High Key shots?
I love Hi Key...but seem to lose alot when doing them.
is that just part of hi key?
Don.

Re: Losing Detail in Hair!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303
Comments: 0

Jason407 is offline IP: 24.95.242.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

That happens if you are over-exposing the BG by too much. I knw that a lot of people suggest to blow the background way over by a few stops, but if you just slightly blow it out, you will retain the detail on the edges and the hair.

It helps if you are using seemless because you are not trying to blow out wrinkles and stuff like you may be using a sheet or something.
Hope this helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Jason defintly going seamless soon....as soon as I can find a decent dealer in this podunk conservative town... Finding Models here? Forget about it! lol..Havent found one that can top the one I have...on second thought I havent looked either! Im sure she cant be topped! Thanks Jason! love your work!!
Don!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.151.44

What Jason said. I use a wrinkled piece of white muslin for these shots, and only light the background one stop over the key light. Just keep the model some feet away from the background and you shouldn't have this problem. Sometimes I'll have to touch up a few spots around the edges, but that's caused by light placement more than anything.

View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 69.152.42.90

Set you light on the background about a half stop over your main. You may still see a bit of shadow detail or some wrinkles on the background.

Open the image in photoshop and use the magic wand with the tolerance set at about 20 and the "contiguous" box checked and click on the background.

You can "add" to your selection by holding down "shift" and clicking some more.

Once you get the whole white background selected, go to the "selection" menu and click "feather" and put in a number of about 10 pixels (on a high res image)

The go to curves and push up the brightness of the background you have selected.

You background will go to 100 percent white, and your model who was not selected, will remain unchanged.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Overexpose background by 1/2 to 2/3 stop. If you go any higher then you usually have the problem you are facing.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

Don, man is Roger (rfs) correct...I was blowing out my BG by 1 to 2 stops over the main...while it works, if the model gets out of the sweet spot, you lose detail and the spill works its way into the hair. I have since metered to 1/2 to 2/3 stops over on the seamless and it works great and there is a little more room for error if your model tends to move toward the background...

This is an example of just that 1 1/2 stops over the main and you can clearly see the spill...AND this models dark hair makes the spill even more obvious...

This image is a 1/2 stop over main and I could have positioned the light better as there is a slight shading from left to right...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 03-31-2005, 05:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38676

David_L_Brown is offline IP: 68.96.170.10

Don, an alternative to seamless is foamcore. Its available in 4x8 foot sheets and I would recomend getting it white on one side and black on the other. Also buy a roll each of white and black gaffer's tape. Tape two sheets together all the way down from one end to the other with the matching color of tape. Leave a small gap between the sheets so that you can fold them in either direction without binding. Now you have a multi-purpose tool. It can be used as a white or a black background and is free-standing with just a little bend at the taped joint. It can also be used as a very large reflector off to one side or as a gobo between a light and the camera. You might have to cut a couple of inches off the end to fit into a room with standard 8 foot ceilings but it cuts easily with a razor yet is tough enough to use as a floor if you're careful with the spiked heels. Its available in various thicknesses so by whatever you think you need to suit your purpose. When you're done just tote it out to the garage and lean it against the wall. I bought four sheets out here in Vegas and they were just 15 bucks each for 1/4 inch thickness if I remember corectly. I was lucky to find a wholesaler, though, so your price may be higher there in Wichita. You have Hobby Lobby there don't you? That's the first place I would go if you can't find a wholesaler like I did. They can probably order it for you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown

Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thanks Guys....Im going to experiment more with it....you were all right Im sure I really tried to BLOW OUT that background...I'll try it at lower fstops and see what I get..she's too beautiful to lose in all that Over spill!
Don!!