Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Cropping Rules?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What are some of the basic do's and don'ts of cropping?
I try staying with the rule of the thirds when I crop or remove dead space.
Anyone else have opinions? Don.

Re: Cropping Rules?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rojoh

Member GG#: 41735
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to creativeproductions2004 Send a message via AIM to creativeproductions2004 Send a message via Yahoo to creativeproductions2004

creativeproductions2004 is offline IP: 64.185.152.249

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Don,

IMO I think it depends totally on what you use the photo for the rule of 3rds is great unless you are using it for a mag or editorial cover(need someplace to put the words I think the way you have them now if you are goinjg for the commercial look, You have it

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards
  View Public Profile Send a private message to creativeproductions2004 Visit creativeproductions2004's homepage! Find More Posts by creativeproductions2004

Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.151.44

The rule of thirds is a good rule, but it's just a guideline so don't be too much of a slave to it.

However, in your 4th photo I think the comp. would be better if her face was near the left third of the crop. Then you'd have less dead space on the left, and more of her hip and leg on the right. In fact, you might end up with her eyes near one intersection of thirds, and her booty on the other. The viewers eyes would tend to start at her eyes and slide right down her torso.

Personally, I tend to favor tighter crops for pictures that will be shown small, like on the web. On larger prints I'll leave a little more dead space.

lb
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 03-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 69.243.110.10

Some guidelines I try to go by are, crop above the knee or include everything down to the end of the foot. Crop above the elbow or include everything to the hand. Exception, if the model has his/her hands behind her head, you can crop out the elbow because the mind implies its existance. Otherwise you leave yourself open to "Nice amputee!" critiques. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40425
My Mood:

vpsteve is offline IP: 63.206.119.32

This has nothing to do with your cropping question. I just thought I'd let you know I really like your work, but for some reason a lot of your images appear very pink/magenta to my eye. I've viewed them on 2 different monitors. Anyone else see this? Just my 2 cents.

VPsteve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vpsteve Visit vpsteve's homepage! Find More Posts by vpsteve

Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.162.72.18

of all the things that seem to be the toughest to teach, composition has to be right at or near the top of the list. there's rules, of course, but i've noticed that some people naturally have an eye for composition and some don't. some can learn it and, for some, it seems to never fall into place. it's like learning to play a musical instrument: at some point the person learning goes from mechanically playing notes to playing music. some have a gift for it and play music almost from the git-go, and some have to work real hard to get there. study the masters and others. pay attention to the cropping/framing they use. decide what you like and emulate it. use the rules (like the rule of thirds and where to cut limbs off and not) and then find ways to break the rules, but in an aesthetically pleasing way. cropping makes a statement. it can add or detract from the message or the "feeling" of an image. sometimes i think its dumb luck when we snap a pic where everything falls into place-- lighting, pose, expression, framing.

here's gigi from the other day. IMO, she conveys some powerful sexuality in this image-- she's a woman in heat. of course, i like to think the stuff i did, cropping, lighting, etc., conveys it as much as she does. okay, maybe not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Gosh Dangit it Steve!! lol...IM not seeing it...other than I see her skin tone..but I sure hope its not my monitor...damn Ive calibrated this thing over and over....dont tell me I have to do it again....
Don. But this brings up another matter...I dont shoot in Raw..because I dont have huge Memory cards....but I noticed my camera saves images in sRGB ...mmmmmm should it be?
Don!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.33

There are rules? I often try to crop in the camera but it depends on my mood. If I'm in an "old school" mood I'll leave room at the top or bottom as if I'm shooting 35mm film and going to crop to an 8x10. Other times I say phuck it and capture the image the way I want to print it.

The rule of thirds (as mentioned) is always a good starting point for shooting standard portraits, glamour and what not but there are other rules of composition that have to also work. Even artists don't stray to far from the rules of composition but the image has to stand on it's own merits if you're going to break or bend rules.

My advice to any novice photographer is to learn the rules, master the rules and only then start breaking the rules but be prepared to defend your actions.

I usually don't breeak the rules that often, but here are a few that seemed to work out ok.

Rick D.

Negative space to the right. Old school at the bottom.

Center dot syndrome

You tell me.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 03-30-2005, 06:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 64.109.110.168

Rules? There are rules? Kidding... I know there are rules...yup, I sure do...

Anyway, The second shot is probably my favorite shot that you have posted so far. There are only 2 things that bother me a tiny bit. Some background problems on the left edge and the nail polish on her toenails. Other then those minor issues I really like it. Nice job.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

do ya think this crop works?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.162.72.18

i'm undecided. i don't usually like to crop below the elbow, but since (supposedly) the mind fills in the blanks, and there's that bit of legs showing--plus the other arm--i'm wondering if maybe it works? or maybe not?

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd