Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Experimenting with lighting
Old 03-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just received a large Brolly Box for Alien Bees was dying to try it out.
Love it!! Didnt quite get the High Key to blow out the background.
Don! Comments welcome!

Re: Experimenting with lighting
Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326
Comments: 0

DeanP is offline IP: 67.161.141.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Looking good to me......course not sure how much weight i have, but always enjoy seeing your work. Hoping my work will improve as yours has.

Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DeanP Find More Posts by DeanP

Old 03-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.63.21

about time you started getting daring with your lights! look at the "drama" you're creating with the lighting in #1 and #3! here's a tip, but you need to figure out what i mean by this-- it may or may not mean what it might seem to mean: shoot from the dark side.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303
Comments: 0

Jason407 is offline IP: 24.95.242.171

[ QUOTE ]
about time you started getting daring with your lights! look at the "drama" you're creating with the lighting in #1 and #3! here's a tip, but you need to figure out what i mean by this-- it may or may not mean what it might seem to mean: shoot from the dark side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I only wish that I had a model willing to sit thru my experiments...you have the perfect opportunity. Try shooting with just one light, try moving lights around and see what different effects it has, try everything! I feel like you are always playing it safe, and trying to follow the RULES. Take a day and just go crazy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thanks Guys...actually I did just that "experimented" I wasnt about to post them...as Jimmy said sometimes you fall on your face....well the ones I didnt follow the rules,,I wasnt about to post! she would have killed me. I tried some split type lighting....oooooo it looked more like LINDA BLAIR lighting!
YIKES! one experiment not good! Went back to the rules! Wifes dont like when you take 200 crappy pictures after getting all made up! So of course I played it safe. waka waka
but Im going to keep playing.
Don!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Dean yours will improve if you take the advice these guys give you....they are some great people...couldnt have done it without guys like Jimmy,Rick,Bill and a whole bunch I dont know there names..they all have different opinions on different aspects of shooting...so sit back and soak it all in. Read the Critiques of other peoples stuff. Try to figure out where thier lighting is coming from..I know Im still doing alot of that. Now my next venture is to take thier advice and get unorthodoxed about my lighting...I have been following the basic rules, once I learn those.....that will give me a guideline to use for breaking the rules..
thanks again Dean
Don.

Shooting from the dark side
Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.162.72.18

maybe i'm jumping the gun a little, but you haven't said anything about my "shoot from the dark side" comment so, rather than be cryptic and annoying, i'll illuminate. (since it's a lighting thing.)

when i watch other guys shoot film and/or video, i can usually measure they're experience by watching where they're shooting from. guys who shoot under the key (or main light) are inexperienced. guys who go out of their way to shoot from the dark side, i.e, from the fill side or somewhere other than under or next to the key, show knowledge, experience, and get better motion picture images almost every time. this ain't an iron-clad rule, and there's plenty who might say this technique is more appropriate for motion picture shooting. and sure, there's plenty of times when you'll need or want to be on the key side or would prefer to be on the key side... but try your best not to shoot right under the key. (like you can't help but do when your shooting with a strobe on the hot shoe of your camera.)

i notice a lot of shooters, whether motion picture or still, seem to--almost always and automatically--gravitate to the key light for their position to shoot from: it often results in lackluster images. also, don't be afraid to pose your model away from the key at times.... sometimes you'll get some really great lighting when you do that. these are just some more things for you to try. you're really making improvement. if i could improve my skills as you've improved your's i'd be really humming!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Shooting from the dark side
Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

hmmmm and as we were having our dinner...we were discussing "What did Jimmy Mean by the Dark side?" I thought it was a Star Wars thing!! She thought Jimmy wants her to go Goth?..Waka Waka..But now that you've cleared that up...it does makes sense. we have done a few mistaken poses when she was closer to the the fill....but The Photographer needs to move his lazy but around...and stop making her do all the work! and see what I come up with. Great Idea Jimmy..I'll give it try....