Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is it glamourous?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39436
Comments: 0

tzoli is offline IP: 62.68.168.7

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Need your critique on this one.
I found some mistakes, especially lighting the background and poseing the right hand, but what's your opinion?

View Public Profile Send a private message to tzoli Find More Posts by tzoli

Re: Is it glamourous?
Old 02-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

Member GG#: 40409

BillBrittain is offline IP: 68.67.210.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The most distracting thing for me is her dress. My eyes went straight to the red lips printed on it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BillBrittain Visit BillBrittain's homepage! Find More Posts by BillBrittain

Define Glamour!!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

This is what I've come to learn...

Glamour: The subject is the primary focal point of the image. Everything else in the image, background, props, clothing or lack thereof, is secondary...it's all about the model.

Fashion: The clothing or other items (jewelry, hat, shoes etc.) is the primary focal point and the subject is secondary.

Which leads to me my comments...

In the original post, the model has an outline of red lips on the clothing...is this THAT distracting. Bill's subpost stated that [ QUOTE ]
My eyes went straight to the red lips printed on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be an example of what to avoid in glamour photography?? or is this a subjective opinion of one individual. The reason I ask...and BILL this is for my learning experience, NOT a jab at your subpost...is when Bill posted his reply and stated that his eyes went straight to the red lips, mine did not. I NOTICED the red lips...but that was not where my attention was focused. I can't say it's distracting...if anything to me, it made me ABSORB the entire image.

Now having said that, when Bill posted his image and stated that his eyes were directed at the lips, the image HE posted shows a beautiful young lady with very LARGE earrings and MY EYES DID completely focus on the earrings. I would ASSUME Bill did not find the earrings distracting as he displayed the image as an example of his work as we are asked to do on this site.

What am I asking?? I am trying to discern things NOT to do relative to glamour photography. I use these two examples, because I think they portray what I believe confuses MANY of us newer photographers.

So many times, I review a posted image and others point out things that lead the eye astray...and I know it is key to NOT detract from the subject model, yet another post will follow pointing out such an example and within that post, there is SOMETHING that may appear to be just as distracting.(once again Bill no jab at you)

HOW SUBJECTIVE IS GLAMOUR PHOTOGRAPHY.

If you look at my portfolio, I basically have 2 models at this point...1. is my wife, who allows me to practice WHENEVER I want and time allows...and 2. is Jessica which was my first model shoot ever last Saturday. In any of my images, probably none would qualify as "GLAMOUR". I have a group of individuals that I show all of my images...THEY ARE NOT PHOTOGRAPHERS...BUT they are people who I think can be objective...maybe not from a technical standpoint. I may show 20 people 10 different images, and I am amazed at the TOTALLY different responses I receive on the SAME images...so it must be very subjective, RIGHT??

I am NOT AFRAID to post ANY of the images I've taken because I WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN IMPROVE. I would, however, like a better understanding of what is acceptable and what is not in glamour photography AND a better understanding of DOES SUBJECTIVENESS play a roll in determining if an image is worthy of distribution.

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Define Glamour!!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

Everything is absolutely subjective. You can page through thousands of posts on this question here on GG, and still not have an answer. You just have to develop a feel on your own. I'm working on that too.

I think that if you're interested in selling images to magazines, you need to study the images in the 'zines to get a feel for it. That's not my focus so I can't claim to have done that.

Possibly, my eyes went to the red lips simply because I was looking for things to comment on, and the red outline almost looked like a circle drawn to point something out. Please note that this is not a criticism of the photographer, or the model's beauty. It might be a comment for the clothing's designer, but if you could see what I'm wearing you'd know that I have not qualifications to comment on clothing!

My image posted may not be the best example of what I was taling about. You're right, the earrings are predominant.

Anyway, I think more is learnt from studying the actual photos, rather than trying to categorize them. I, for one, would go in circles forever trying to catagorize an image. What is this one?

View Public Profile Send a private message to BillBrittain Visit BillBrittain's homepage! Find More Posts by BillBrittain

Old 02-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

To me, very much glamorous.

Striking model...is she the one that has the reptiles??
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Is it glamourous?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 24.206.226.249

Post coming out of her head is a problem, but you said you already noticed the background.

I actually like the blueness of the dress, but I like rich colors in glamour. Didn't notice the lips right away. The blue eye shadow drew me to her eyes as well.

Pretty model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 02-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

[ QUOTE ]
To me, very much glamorous.

Striking model...is she the one that has the reptiles??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, one and the same. Christina Marie, from Virginia.

objectivity vs. subjectivity
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40444
Send a message via AIM to inhifistereo6

inhifistereo6 is offline IP: 198.92.233.230

I love this discussion of objectivity vs. subjectivity. I can finally contribute having been an English Rhetoric student.

It is my contention that there is no such thing as pure objectivity. I would also like to add how can something such as photography really be objective. I am arguing there is no such thing as objectivity. This post right here is a perfect example. One poster feels the original image's red lips are distracting and another poster feels that the red lips help him in taking the photograph in. It is impossible, in my experience and education, that personal biases cannot be kept at bay from coming into criticism one gives to another.

I could go further into this and build on ethos and logos. However, that would probably bore all of you to death. Just wanted to chime in and say that I enjoy the whole objective vs. subjective argument. Thanks

david
  View Public Profile Send a private message to inhifistereo6 Find More Posts by inhifistereo6