Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My FIRST model shoot...(3 images)
Old 02-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.176.54

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I finally made it happen. With a little help from Bob Warren and the rental of his studio in Houston, Texas, I was able to have my first shoot with someone other than my wife and son....(and they are THANKFUL).

Model is the beautiful Jessica Hays from the Houston Area. She is a student at Texas A&M studying to be a civil engineer...beauty and brains...there's so few of us!

Jessica is 5'11" tall and an absolute joy to work with. I could not have expected a better outcome for my first shoot...

Here are a few images for your critique...let the REAL learning begin...

comments appreciated....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Congrats, and a tip ;)
Old 02-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.91.83.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Congradulations on your first shoot!!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] YOU DONE GOOD for your first shoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Watch for facial shadows, particularly by the nose. Photographs 1 and 2 have them. They tend to take away from the beauty of the subject.

Keepo going and keep experimenting,

John

Re: My FIRST model shoot...(3 images)
Old 02-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

You did good for a first shoot. But watch the shadows. Darken the studio except for the modeling light on the main light. That'll let you see how they're falling. Also watch the eyes. You want a little white on both sides of the pupil.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Hi Bobby,

The shots are looking good with the exception of the nose shadows. She's a very lovely lady indeed!! I think #3 is my favorite. It's crisp and sexy. A little white on both sides of the pupil would make this a killer shot.

Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 02-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

Thanks John and Paul. It's amazing the little things you may not see at first, but I will certainly look to prevent the shadows in future shoots. I was very pleased with the results with this being mine AND Jessica's first time in studio...two rookies trying to make some nice photos. We had a GREAT time and she has already emailed asking when we can get together again.

Thank you for you comments...

One more for review....

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 02-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the help...
It's all about learning, and any tips or critiques are always appreciated..

Old 02-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.255

hey bobby! congratz on your first shoot with a victim other than a family member.

first shot-- i would'a cropped/framed out the black slacks. kind of distracting and i think it would look cooler with the just the back of that bentwood chair between you, her, and the highkey background, especially with her wearing that white pullover.

second shot-- there's something weird in the perspective. also, it looks like she's looking at the camera, but then it doesn't. its almost like one of those jesus paintings where his eyes follow you wherever you look from.

exposure, color tones, all that stuff-- right on the money! great start!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

P.S.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.255

only two shots are showing up. so my comments re: pic #2 are really for pic #3
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Shadows...
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39269

Hawaii_Mike is offline IP: 4.7.221.207

[ QUOTE ]
... I will certainly look to prevent the shadows in future shoots...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby,

Looks like you did a good job for your first shoot. I wouldn't ever want to “prevent the shadows�. The key is use and understand where the shadows will fall. For portraits, the general rule for flattering shadows is to have them fall under the nose ("butterfly") and keep the shadows soft.

I like your first shot very much. She seems to be having fun and enjoying having her photo taken. She has a great smile and perfect teeth!! You could sell toothpaste with this photo. The shadow falling off the nose is really a small defect; I wouldn't have noticed it unless someone else pointed it out. The pose is very flattering and your lighting is excellent (except for that shadow), especially considering her white top and the white background. I'm not really sure what you could have done about it... Looks like the shadows in the rest of the photo are soft. If you took other shots with this pose I would take a close look at the shadow on her nose. I bet with a slight angle change it wouldn’t even be there. Care to share the details of the lighting setup?

If I was nit picking, I would watch the perspective and be careful about the lens selection - her hands look a little large to me. It doesn't look too wide, but if you went with a just a little wider, the image would start to look really distorted and strange.

The second image... What happened to the second image? I get a red "X". I guess I came too late????

I like the last image too, but it needs a little more. Seems to me that you want her eye to grab the viewer’s attention but it doesn't have enough pop... Otherwise, the hair looks great. I'd buy the shampoo she uses!!!

Good effort, good luck and keep shooting...

Aloha from Hawaii,
Michael

View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawaii_Mike Find More Posts by Hawaii_Mike

Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39507

GPorzig is offline IP: 12.202.121.196

Hey, I love the first shot, looks great! The second shot has shadows that aren't flattering to the model, and the third shot is kinda like a shampoo ad...nothing wrong with that...just reminds me of that.

Over all, nice work! But the first shot is the keeper!

Glenn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GPorzig Visit GPorzig's homepage! Find More Posts by GPorzig