Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
First posting and first two girl shoot
Old 02-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39507
Comments: 0

GPorzig is offline IP: 12.202.121.196

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys, I haven't updated my portfolio in a while. Last week I had the opportunity to shoot two girls, it was a challenge, but well worth it...and a lot of fun. I'm looking for some feedback, obviously it helps that I had two gorgeous women to work with. This was shot with my digital rebel, a diffusion filter, softboxes on hotlights, and then a little photoshop work to add a "maxim" style glow. What do you think?

View Public Profile Send a private message to GPorzig Visit GPorzig's homepage! Find More Posts by GPorzig

Re: First posting and first two girl shoot
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40662
Send a message via MSN to PaoloM Send a message via Yahoo to PaoloM

PaoloM is offline IP: 193.111.46.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think is too soft...

Regards

Paolo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PaoloM Visit PaoloM's homepage! Find More Posts by PaoloM

Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

I agree with you, a little soft in the focus...and a diffusion filter and the photoshop diffusion glow make for a really soft picture. I especially wish the eyes were a little sharper.

These pictures were shot in a basement that was long and narrow and had a low ceiling...not the best for adjusting my lights. We did the whole shoot in under two hours, not that I should be making excuses. I understand that you should never show up with your portfolio and say "This is not my best work", or "It would have been better if...".

The pictures need to speak for themeselves and be the best that you have to offer. Thanks for posting, I am eager to hear more feedback.

Glenn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GPorzig Visit GPorzig's homepage! Find More Posts by GPorzig

Old 02-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 68.74.107.31

I agree...way too soft. Looks like it would have been a fun shoot. I know that alot of guys get awesome shots with hot lights but it just seems that they tend to be very soft. I suppose that is ok in alot of shots but I need to see the eyes be pretty sharp for me to stay interested in an image. I cant really critique any other aspect of the image as it hurts my tired eyes to look at it. Again...looks like it was a fun 2 hours.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 02-14-2005, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Hey guys,

I really am let down by the viewings to postings ratio. At this moment the image has been viewed over 650 times, and only two critiques, both giving the same point. I'd really appreciate some more feedback. Any tips or tricks or comments...this is my first posting. Tell me if I should bother to post again, no point in posting in the review section if I don't get reviewed.

Be patient, contribute and participate...
Old 02-14-2005, 04:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39269

Hawaii_Mike is offline IP: 4.7.221.207

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

I really am let down by the viewings to postings ratio. At this moment the image has been viewed over 650 times, and only two critiques, both giving the same point. I'd really appreciate some more feedback. Any tips or tricks or comments...this is my first posting. Tell me if I should bother to post again, no point in posting in the review section if I don't get reviewed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Be careful what you ask for, when I viewed this post you had only three posts... From what I can tell all of them are part of this thread. For someone lurking in the background since August, you're asking for a lot. If you want more feedback do as others here do... be patient, contribute and participate...

Anyway, in my humble opinion the prior reviews are spot on. The main problem with this image is the softness. I would also add that unless my monitor calibration is way off, the colors are way too warm – yellowish-orange - for me. Unless you want it this way, check your white balance, get rid of the gold reflectors, or tell your models to ease up on the tan in bottle – it looks too orange compared to a natural tan.

Other than that, the pose for the model on the bottom looks rather uncomfortable and unnatural. I bet she had a sore neck if she had to keep that pose to long.

In general, these things aren't tough to fix. Looks like you were blessed with some attactive and willing models. I’d suggest posting some more from this shoot if you want more feedback.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Michael

View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawaii_Mike Find More Posts by Hawaii_Mike

Glenn babbyyyyy SMILE DAM YA! :P
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.91.83.115

HI Glenn,
Don't let that discourage you. It's your first post and there are alot of people who just like to see what is being posted. But not comment on anything. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Your photo is well shot, well lit, sexy, provocative, alluring, beautiful.
I find the light bouncing off the blonde's hair and the brunette's forehead a little distracting. The blurryness does add to the intimate/fantasy look, it makes me wonder, what it would look like less blurry. But that's forgivable, as the photo does look awesome, as is.

The other thing I would suggest is maybe not cropping in so close. With so much beauty in one photograph, and the models in this type of pose, the need to crop for a more intimate look is lessoned. But either way. YA DONE DAM GOOD!

Keep smiling and ya dam sure should keep posting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

John

Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Here's the original image pre-photoshop, straight out of the camera. I did use a difusion filter on the camera, but for the final picture (the one in the original post) I was experimenting with a "Maxim" style where I lessened the blue channel to create a warmer picture as well as using Photoshop's diffusion filter. I actually thought it was a little "orange" for my taste, but everyone seemed to like it that had seen it...that's one reason to post it here for review.

Here's a version where I went in and sharpened it in photoshop and blew out a lot of the warm colors. What do you think? You can see another picture from this set at the top of my gallery page.

Glenn

Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41234

CharlieWI is offline IP: 69.179.4.246

While I don't have any photos up (yet) and am fairly new, I would be happy to give you my one cent opinion.

I am distracted by two things. One is the tear drop area between the heads. It looks like it is melting into their skin. Just something about the edges. The other thing that caused me to chuckle a little the very first time I seen this photo was what look like aditional breast growing out of the top models back. I think those legs should have been hidden better. I agree with the softness of the final editing like some of the others.

It looked like you have a great time with this shoot and did a great job with it. Great models too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharlieWI Find More Posts by CharlieWI

Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.125.23

First off, your lighting and overall composition is good, maybe even very good. I like the sort strained or awkward position in the lower model's neck, it adds a tension to the composition. But you have problem with what I see as over diffusion. The problem with using a diffusion filter or with softening (or diffusion) in camera is that we casn't control the degree of diffusion (or sharpening). Take an objective look at the eyes, esp in the lower model. I think it
s far better to do that sort of thing in post processing.

Second, you are right, the first image is too orange, but it';s also too dark and lacking in contrast. But the second version goes too far. I would suggest reducing the saturation a bit and in the first shot boost the contrast slightly in levels. In the second version, try reducing saturation just a bit and then reducing contrast a tough. I thnk you which usually gives a bit too much saturation.

Try it again, but leave that diffusion filter in the camera bag! Remembe the secret to photoshop is a very light touch.

My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester