Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Headshot attempt. Critique and insights.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39057
Comments: 0

AlfonsoC is offline IP: 84.18.10.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi:

This is a shot done some days ago with not more equipment than my EOS10D and the 50mm f1.4. I don't put inline because is a big image (about 260Kb).

http://www.fotoforum.info/vbg/showim...=63&original=1

Please critique it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC

Re: Headshot attempt. Critique and insights.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Another image from the same shot, please critique too. With a 50mm too.

View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC

Old 01-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303

Jason407 is offline IP: 68.202.191.247

I like it, but I feel like she is squinting a little. Also, it is a little dark on one side of her face.

The second one is better light wise, but most people will probably complain about the hair in the face. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Old 01-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.69.218

I like it a lot!!!

The extremely shallow depth of field and bokeh are just beautiful.

The model has a regal nobility to her looks.

As was said, the slight difference in light from one side to the other is a fault, but minor compared to the rest of how beautiful the whole shot is.

And also as was said, there may be a slight need for her eyes to be a little more open.

Very well done, this is one the styles of portrait I love to look at and hope to excel in.

Frankly, I far far prefer this sort of thing to standard (orange skin) glamour, but please don't tell anyone here I said that, OK?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well I am going to pick it apart
Old 01-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.44

The first thing I noticed before scrolling down was the hair. Wind blown I realize but it doesn't appeal to me as roots are exposed and looks too wild for a static portrait pose. Based on looking at her salt pocket bags, I wouldn't have shot her with this light. It's quality light for certain things but the elements you have, you have to look at and determine at the time if it's going to be the absolute best thing to do based on your subjects features. Just because it's quality light and someone said this works, does not always work for every subject at a given time.

The eye squint is just another distraction. I would never sell this or even present it to a client. I can't settle in without going, oh my she's hurting trying to keep her eyes open. There is no catch light in her eye on the main light side of her face, making the squint more noticable.

Lipstick correction. Her top lip on the shadow side does not look uniform compared to the other side. Big distraction to me.

Because of the highlighted background with the white, my eye bounces and can not stay settled. The light on her face is nicely split but then you fade into the shadow side of the face only to be distracted by the hightlight in the background on that side. Then I go back to the hightlighted side of the face and get distracted by the background again. Although it's a nice job with the dof, because of the depth in lighting which is normally not a bad thing, the hightlights in the background with the white sweater, really distracts my eye.

.....I love the pose. Attractive woman. There are just too many variables for me to like this one.

Also, she's dead center. Negative space to image left, playing in with the white strip in the background, into the pose would have a better lead into the read to the image.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: Well I am going to pick it apart
Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the comments. Everyone wants to hear that something is fine and that other thing is good. I prefeer to get direct comments to things that I cannot see nor take into attention. Those comments are the ones that make me to improve each time I grab the camera.

JT\'s Eye for the Photographer Guy
Old 01-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.175.243.184

I'm playing on the title of that show cuz, dude, you don't miss a freakin' thing!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Well I am going to pick it apart
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.11.83.31

So then tell us how WOULD you light someone with the sandbags to minimize the effect?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.143.140

I like it. What stop setting did you use 2. something?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

you light it
Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.44

You specifically put light there.....either reflector or closer to 1 to 1 ratio. Basically flat light. Now you can turn the subject a little and still create some depth by having a modified light source or either reflected light source contour the face but yet shed light right where it's needed. The bags are accented because they are raised. You simply put light to fill in the shadow lines that another light source dominated the raised portion, thus accenting the bags. Any light source to fill in will minimize the effect.

After that, tell your subject to cut down on sodium before the next session....so even though models drink diet soda, they forget about the sodium and bags are nothing but salt pockets...

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith