Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Andy McFarland! New Images..
Old 01-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36300
Comments: 0

craigh is offline IP: 68.201.18.205

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK... Everybody wants to be Andy when we grow up... Let's just get that fact out into the open right away. Santa brought me an 80-200 ED 2.8D Nikkor for Christmas because I was a good boy last year. I decided to do a beach shoot for the first time ever. Hard to believe that I went to photo school at Daytona Beach Community College for 2+ years and have never shot a model on the Beach? Anyway- Here is my first attempt. The model is an amature that is not very relaxed, so please, not so much on her lack or posing skills and my lack of ability to communicate with her in Russian. I'd like some critisism and advise regarding the light. Pleaes be kind.. I don't get out of the studio very often and I still have to clean the sand out of my tripod. Andy, I'm especially interested in your opinions to improve before I go out again this comming Wed with a better model. Did I shoot TOO late in the day? Anyway, TIA everyone.

-Craig

Yes... I know this one is soft... not sure how the heck I did that...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to craigh Visit craigh's homepage! Find More Posts by craigh

If I point some things out.....
Old 01-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.105.117.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I assume that you were afraid of direct sunlight and the model possibly squinting?

However I pointed some things out for you to look at that is taking an attractive subject, pretty face, nice body and then creating subtractive elements in the use of the light and not being able to communicate properly with your model as you stated that scenerio.

Now I took some time to help and I hope you can see what I am getting at. I took the liberty to copy and stroke some areas on YOUR images. I will delete these from my server in given time.

1. Lets look at image one.

a) My eye scatters on this one. The light strikes beautiful on her abs and is a perfect split lighting on her face. However her anatomy blocks her chest from the light direction, making a non flattering look in that region. I think you could have turned her body a little more, brought her face back to an angle to keep the even split lighting and improved the over all image that way.

2. Lets look at image 2

a) The pose is very awkward. An amateur model or not it is your job not to make her look amateur. The pose is stiff and she is uncomfortable. Almost sad looking in her expression. Her neck is cranked as well. I have stroked the area to pay attention to on the light wrap around that is not flattering. Making small adjustments to the angle of her face, will correct this problem.

3. Lets look at image 3

a) Again I have stroked the areas that are not flattering. Look at the shadow to highlight differences and patterns in the middle box. In the left box you could have had her arch up a little more to get rid of the scrunch syndrome. The stroked box right is not flattering either as it is one big box and you could have curved her a little more to have a better pleasing posed result.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

JT, feel free to...
Old 01-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36463

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 69.243.169.78

comment on anything I ever post here. Talk about constructive criticism! You done good.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel

Re: JT
Old 01-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

JT, Your one heck of a teacher. I enjoyed your workshop a few years ago in Ohio. I notice you have been taking alot more time to teach on this forum lately. I for one want you to know that I appreciate it. I seems to learn something everytime I read one of your posts. Thanks!
Mark Harper

Model is Hunter from JT's workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Re: JT
Old 01-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Hi Mark,

It's not that I am spending more time here but when I can and topics fall in my favor I will take the time to comment. Email notifications also bring me back, etc.

I usually spend one hour every morning, then afternoon then evening and sometimes when I drink too much coffee you might find me lonely at 3 a.m.

It's really an increase in questions and asking for critiques here and I guess I am finding a little time to offer up my opinions. If anything has to do with light, then I will also be all over that.

My free time here will change in a week when Supershoots 05 season gets started....but I will still do my best to contribute here.

Now this afternoon I shut down and watch the lucky Rams try and pull off a victory...guaranteed no replies or posts from me during the game......lol...GO RAMS

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: JT, feel free to...
Old 01-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Hi Bryan,

If I feel like I can help and I am in tune with it, then by all means, I will do so.

But if I miss something don't think anything of it. It would more then likely mean, you done good in the first place...

J T

Not \'Better\'...\'Different\'
Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.237.87

[ QUOTE ]
...before I go out again this comming Wed with a better model

[/ QUOTE ]

...or 'more experienced'....never 'better'. You indirectly do an injustice to a lovely looking and well proportioned woman. Given time she (and you) will improve.

My opinion only...Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: If I point some things out.....
Old 01-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39164

Picturetker is offline IP: 68.57.151.11

JT,
This is by far the best critique I've seen! It is exactly what I think all of us look for when we ask for help/opinions. Thank you for your excellent advice. I hope you'll have the same helpful advice when I'm ready to post for critiques.

Jean-Maurice
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Picturetker Visit Picturetker's homepage! Find More Posts by Picturetker

Re: JT, feel free to...
Old 01-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38762

Foto_Highway is offline IP: 24.253.146.62

JT , I agree with everything said about being very cut and dry and pinpointing the discrepencies in the pix in the critques. It is very , very helpful.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Foto_Highway Visit Foto_Highway's homepage! Find More Posts by Foto_Highway