Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
here\'s my first
Old 12-13-2004, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39757
Comments: 0

photoraider is offline IP: 24.111.51.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This forum got me interested in glamour - I've applied a few techniques with seniors, families, even pets, but here's one meant for a model. suggestions welcome!

one more from that session (I think she's looking too far up though(?))

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoraider Visit photoraider's homepage! Find More Posts by photoraider

Re: here\'s my first
Old 12-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39821
Comments: 1

brother7 is offline IP: 64.203.29.32

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm a newbie and probably don't know what I'm talking about but I'll throw in my comments for consideration.

#1 I think the lights are too hot on her hair and front right shoulder. It also looks like her left arm is missing, replaced by a chair back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
#2 I think the white balance is off. Too warm, as is common when shooting with incandescent lighting.

Pros... am I wrong or right?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brother7 Visit brother7's homepage! Find More Posts by brother7

Old 12-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40425
My Mood:

vpsteve is offline IP: 69.107.83.131

IMO...#1 is way too soft. Even the facial features are too soft. At first I thought the image was out of focus. In #2 she should have been looking at the camera (or at least at a point lower than she is now).

VPsteve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vpsteve Visit vpsteve's homepage! Find More Posts by vpsteve

Old 12-13-2004, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38754

Paul_Illes is offline IP: 24.7.154.192

Oh yeah, soft is right, looks fuzzy, and she looks crippled in both shots with a missing arm. In the second she looks as if she is waiting for something to fall on her. Looking for things like that in the view finder is hard; give her an overall look before you put your eye in that limiting frame. (g) Don't mean this in a bad way, but you want to know what you can do to improve so we try to help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Illes Find More Posts by Paul_Illes

Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 65.35.169.199

Hey There,

Agreed #1 is way too soft. The thing that bothers me and doesnt..is the left arm. I tend to crop like that alot..a "missing" body part or limb can sometimes add to a photo but there should be some hint that it is at least there. I also think she looks reeeeally nervous or like you "caught her" by surprise. I generally like the idea but might try it turning her left shoulder a little towards the lens a little bit. She also looks as though she looks uncomfortable sitting the way she is sitting.

# 2 Two things jump out at me..one could be subjective as my personal taste. I dont care for the position of the model. She is smack dab in the middle of the picture. The second thing that jumps out at me...even though it was actually the first...lol. Is the "big object" at camera right and almost center. Remember...the human eye goes right to what is the brightest..or the most noticable item in the picture. I would have placed her somewhere where the mirror sections did not "cut" into her.

Having said that...I have done all of those things..You dont have to be sick to get better as I say....I am sure even the pros might agree with that statement...the answer is KEEP SHOOTING!!!...LOL. Thats what I do anyways,

View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 12-13-2004, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.96.216.100

Picture 1; Always watch the model's facial expression. If there isn't anything wrong with the top of her head, think about including it in the photograph. Her left arm, Of course her arm should be viewable, even resting on the chair back would be fine. The out of focus soft look is over done in my opinion. She needs to be in focus I would say. Change your angle, bring your camera around so her head fills in the dark empty area behind her, and is framed on each side by the green and lights. The models outfit, always watch for wrinkles and try your best to get rid of them before you press the shutter button.

Picture 2; taking a photo of reflections can be tricky. as you can see the mirrors throw off the models parts and misallign things terribly. Work on straight forward photos and then reflections.

What camera do you use?
Feel free to email me with questions.
John

Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

man - you guys are greatly helpful! Didn't expect so much feedback. You know, it upsets me how I didn't apply what I've been learning from hanging around here - but some of you nailed it - she was nervous, and I don't have enough experience to have gotten her "into it". This was actually at an office party formal portrait shoot and she just always wanted to model. I guess it is 'oversofted'...I've been utilizing that effect pretty often lately, but this one's a bit much- agreed. As for the arm and the dress wrinkles - great eye - I will pay more attention - thanks to all of you respondents!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoraider Visit photoraider's homepage! Find More Posts by photoraider

Old 12-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 65.35.169.199

lmao...I didnt like the top of her head.....ok ok..it was NOT an accident...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 12-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

also I was using a digi rebel