Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Looking for some Critiques
Old 10-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Photos by Weav

Member GG#: 39202
Comments: 2
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Weav

Weav is offline IP: 24.209.48.229

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This a photo that I took last week. Any comments????
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Weav Visit Weav's homepage! Find More Posts by Weav

Re: Looking for some Critiques
Old 10-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Daniel,

The image looks a little on the dark side here, but overall I like it. There's some mottling on the model's chest and arm that is a little distracting -- but that might also be due to the darkness of the image. I think the colors are a tad off as well, but being color blind I could be wrong on this. I never can tell for sure unless I place it in Photoshop and check the color values -- but my instincts say they are a bit on the cyan and magenta side.

You also might want to post it over in the post-production part of the site and see how others would adjust the image. That will give you a good benchmark to use when adjusting future work.

Hope this helps,
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 10-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 63.188.193.243

Nice picture, and she has nice hair.......but I don't like her outfit....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

Old 10-18-2004, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38708

NavajoCoast is offline IP: 68.64.95.200

I would spot out the obvious blemishes. The lighting appears a bit soft for me. The image does appear a little dark.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NavajoCoast Visit NavajoCoast's homepage! Find More Posts by NavajoCoast

AdobeRGB vs sRGB
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

The image was obvious to me a AdobeRGB image due to its lack of contrast I commonly see posted. I am assuming you have a Mac and not a PC. The majority of people viewing your image anywhere on the web will have PCs. On the Mac, all software is automatically color space aware (that includes the browsers) so it will show properly with the correct colors you see. However, on PCs only software specifically written to be color space aware will see the image correctly (like Photoshop and many of todays modern photo viewing software.) However, IE on the PCs is not color space aware. So even though you embedded the AdobeRGB color space in the image, our browser assumes its sRGB and shows it with that color space. The result is a dull none contrasty image. With all that being said, you should convert to the sRGB color space before saving as jpg so it will look correct to everyone on all computers.

Now if you have a PC, open IE and keep the image open. Now open the image in Photoshop (or whatever you use to manipulate the image). You should see the colors look different.

With all that being said... The image is a little less than 1 stop underexposed also [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I would have turned her head a little bit to camera left and had her still looking at the camera. This way you would have lit the short side of her face and thus slimmed it out a bit. With her big hair (I like her hair), to me, it makes her head look bigger than it is. See an example on my attached picture.

Re: AdobeRGB vs sRGB
Old 10-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photos by Weav

My Mood:

Thanks very much for the info. I am still learning how to use Photoshop (version 6.0) and I have a PC. I opened the photo on both and they are very close to being the same.

How is the best way to correct your monitor for color balance and brightness? That maybe why they look darker on your PC because they where underexposed and I tried to lighten them.
I was also having a problem with my flash meter being one stop under after I checked it with a friends meter so I corrected it by one stop. It maybe time just to buy another?
I appreciate any help that you can give me
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Weav Visit Weav's homepage! Find More Posts by Weav

Old 10-18-2004, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.206.7.158

Well if your PC is not color managed then that might be the 1st problem. Maybe you have your monitor setup too bright so it doesn't look underexposed to you. However, if you look at the histogram in Photoshop, you will see the histogram falls short on the hilites by about 3/4 a stop.

Which meter do you have? I have seen issues with the Minolta IV where it continously read about a stop under. I dont' know if its an issue with some or all but I did witness it myself and someone told me its a known issue. I cannot say for sure it is a known issue but that person did indeed have a meter that was reading correctly. I am using a Sekonic L-358 myself.

The colors should not look very close but exact. The problem 1st is you should convert to srgb before posting on the web.

If you give us permission, I'm sure others wouldn't mind showing you what the image should look like when brightened up. Generally others won't repost a "fixed" version of your image unless you say its ok first. Give us the word....

Old 10-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photos by Weav

My Mood:

I have a luna pro F meter and I've had it for years. I did some readjusting and save this image as a SRGB but if you would like to work with it be my guest
Thanks

Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

That looks no better. I spent a few minutes on the original photo. Basically I adjusted the levels then fine tuned it with curves. I adjusted the colors a little to help reduce the reddish tone on her skin. Her face has a slightly different tone than her shoulders and there is blotchy skin on her shoulders so if I were you I would spend a little time fixing that up. If all you have is Photoshop 6 then I suggest you upgrade to Photoshop 7 to minimally get the healing brush. I also smoothed out the skin just a little and removed some of the skin blemishes and hilites as they were distracting (for me).

Old 10-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photos by Weav

My Mood:

Thanks I guess I'll have to work on getting to know photoshop better. I did download the trial photoshop CS and the healing brush was nice to work with but trying to justify the cost it may be awhile!