Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A couple from opposite ends of the spectrum
Old 09-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

Gosh, I've been so quiet lately that it's scaring me. Recently I spent some time with my good friend Chrissy and we did some late night shots outside a cathedral near my house and then on another night at about 3 A.M., we were visiting a guy's studio and he let me use his studio to shoot a few quick ones.

The first shot was late at night around 10 PM or so. It's lit only by the spill of the halogen spotlights lighting up the cathedral. The exposure is around a half a second or so if memory serves (shot on a tripod, of course, since I'm about as shakey as our nation's economy when handholding for that long). Do you think that that shadow on the left side of her nose (her left) is too much? I didn't use any fill or reflectors.

The second shot was in the studio but I only had use of ONE strobe, hence the shadow outline. The strobe slaved to my puny, built-in flash on my D70 and that's all I had to work with. We're going to redo some in my studio using more than just one strobe but it was a late night afterthought.

As always, your comments and suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated and encouraged.

My name is Mike Larsen and I approved this message.

Good day!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: A couple from opposite ends of the spectrum
Old 09-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 67.38.152.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

HEy Mike..

1. The shadow that you pointed out is a bit much for me. I really like the shot though. If that shadow could be toned down a little bit it would be really cool.

2. Again, the shadow on her left side is there and a bit distracting to me, but given the setup that you used I would say you did a damn fine job.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 09-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks, Scott. My Photoshop skills suck hind, er, I mean are really poor and I'm not real sure how I could lighten up that shadow. Perhaps some PS gurus could help to, um, enlighten me (no pun intended). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your kind comments as well! I am chained to my computer for the next three days because I have about 600 soccer pictures to edit and prepare for the Varsity Soccer Team Award Ceremony at my son's high school. He's on the team and dear, old dad got corraled into doing the photos and the presentation. After I get through all that, I'll be posting some more work.

Good day sir!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 09-26-2004, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.209

Mike:

In your first shot I think if her hand would have been placed on top of the fence it would have given her just enough shoulder twist to allow her head to turn more toward the cathedral without looking strained.

Do you know how much it costs to put tose shadows in on a blue background? Just kidding. To eliminate those shadows move the model away from the background and the strobe closer to the model. Also your model might have wanted to increase the angle to the camera about thirty degrees.

Good luck with the soccer pics. I'm editing some Pop Warner pics that I'm taking for my nephew.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 09-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for your input, Rick! I really appreciate it. Next time around I'll be making sure that we have ample room to work. She really couldn't move out any from the background because of the lack of room. I was already backed up against a conference room table as it was. I guess I could have got up on the table...hehehe Hmmmmm Not sure I could make a career of table dancing but I've seen stranger things. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll have to look at the first one again to see what you mean about the hand placement.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Mike

Here is the cathedral, by the way....
Old 09-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

In the original picture I posted, the model is standing next to the light column to the left of the green front doors on the second level and she is facing out toward where I am standing for this picture. Just an FYI.

Good day all.

Mike

Old 09-26-2004, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.209

Try the hand placement yourself. Put your hand on an object and then pick it up three inches and move it to you right about two inches and feel the movement in your neck and shoulder.

Let me know when you start table dancing and I'll make sure I'm in another state. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There's a reason we photographers stay on our side of the camera.

Rick D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6