Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Second GG posting.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.133.96

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a salvage. Basically it was my first studio shoot and I depended on someone with a different camera than mine. His had a sync speed faster than my camera so every shot had 1/3 of the image blown. Live and learn.

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Second GG posting.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Has happened to us all, Richard.

Hard to get a good look at your image at this size, but the composition looks good. I'd have cropped in more on the right side of the image (just looks looser than the rest of the image's sides to me). The unsharpen mask looks a little harsh, too, but that may be due to the smaller size. There's also a vertical line along her cheek that distracted my eye. A nice effort though despite the flash-sync woes.

Dave

Model: Hillary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 09-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to get a good look at your image at this size

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't understand that. My original that I uploaded was big enough I thought...if anything too big. Maybe the site resized down? Or is this a function that paid members get...the ability to upload and display big images?

Richard

(I just uploaded another copy of this photo...this one is 800x800 pix @ 100ppi. It looks like it's shrunk down again as much? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])

View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 09-12-2004, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the site resized down? Or is this a function that paid members get...the ability to upload and display big images?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little of both, actually. The site does resize images uploaded to your portfolio. Paid members do get somewhat larger images than the non-paying ones. A fast right-click on your image and mine -- then select Properties and notice the sizes. That will show you the exact difference since we each inserted a portfolio image in this case.

To display an image larger, you need to put it on an off-site server and then link it in that way. Although you really don't need a gigantic one, just something a bit larger.

I'll repost that same image of Hillary here -- but via my personal website -- so you can see the difference. In this case using the Instant UBB Code "Image" instead of the "Portfolio".

Dave

View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 09-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...you can see the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed I can now see the difference. I'll start doing the Image thing from now on.

Oh and by the way, I really like your photo of Hillary especially the way you handled the white top. Very nicely done. Not too sure about the door handle through the hips though but it's not overly distracting. Also great work with her eyes. Did you enhance the cigarette smoke?

Richard

Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the praise on the Hillary image. Funny story about that, too. It was done at the end of a recent workshop and she just happened into some of the nicest, soft natural light I've seen in quite a while. Trick was, about 10 other photographers saw this too, so it rapidly turned into a mass shoot. The upshot is that while I agree about the door handle, sometimes you just need to shoot through those things. Naturally, if this were a one-on-one set shot, I'd definitely had dealt with the door handle problem before the camera came up to shoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Here's another image from that scene that I tinkered with to give it more of a hand-sketched look.

Oh, the eyes in that earlier image are all natural -- no futzing about with them. The smoke, however, was indeed a post production addition.

Dave

Serendipity...
Old 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

It does seem that often some of our best work comes when we least expect it.

Photography, as an art, can be very creative but it's always good to see results that come from stepping outside of that box. Very nicely done. Care to share the technique?

In regards to your closing, it reminds me of that old joke.

Joe, ever the optimist accidentally fell from a 30 story building and as he fell he was heard to say...

"So far, so good".

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Richard

Re: Serendipity...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Very nicely done. Care to share the technique?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be pleased to, if I could remember it all ... lol

The thing is, when I am tinkering like this in Photoshop, I don't really have a set technique in mind. It would be a pity if I reduced it all into one PS Action anyway since each image has its own qualities and character. So I mostly play around with layers, filters and the like until I get to that look the image has within it.

Having said that, I do recall I cropped this portion out of a larger image, ran it through Genuine Fractals to increase the file size, duped the layer and switched the top layer mode to something other than normal (overlay or soft light, possibly lighten). From there I applies a few of the artistic filters (cross hatch was one I recall). All the while I was also adjusting level, brightness and contrast, color balance and fading effects when they seems too much. Oh, at one point I did a Gausian Blur on the bottom layer to soft the lines in it and a harshly set Unsharpen Mask (vallues of 85, 2.0 and 6, respectively) to the top layer.

Wish I could be more specific here but it's truly a "get in the zone and go" deal when I do this. I'll try to keep track of the process on the next one I do and send it your way.

Dave