Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
That\'s No Model - That\'s My Wife (apologies to Lyle Lovett)
Old 09-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39658
Comments: 0

FotoTejas is offline IP: 66.63.238.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm brand new here at GarageGlamour, and I'm still pretty new at attempting "glamour" photography. I'd greatly appreciate some constructive criticism on some of my initial efforts.

I should emphasize that my subject is not a professional model, but (because she is my wife) I should probably include a gratuitous statement that "she should be a model."

View Public Profile Send a private message to FotoTejas Visit FotoTejas's homepage! Find More Posts by FotoTejas

Re: That\'s No Model - That\'s My Wife (apologies to Lyle Lovett)
Old 09-04-2004, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I really like that first picture. Good dynamic range (blue sky, colors in subjects well balanced.) Pose is good, model is pretty, hair nicely streamed. I'm a country boy and immediately understood what that stuff in the bottom left is, but pic might be more streamlined without it. All I can quibble with is small details - jeans zipper looks a little odd, hands look a bit awkward, something on chin just below lip. But those are small. Some might not like geometry of pose (she could be straighter) but I like it, it looks like she's looking at something in the sky.

Second picture is somewhat washed out on my screen - colors are weak. I don't like the hat shading her eyes, unevenly to boot. Would be better, IMO, with shallower DOF. Dirt color detrimental to model's skin tone. Blue-green thingy she's sitting on/in front of needs to go. Shovel a bit suggestive without being erotic - might have been better to have it in the ground behind her. Can't decide if I like the triple geometry of body, shovel, fencepost or not. Might grow on me, but it's a little tight.

Still better than most of *my* stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not bad at all, your wife makes a good model.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 09-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.209

What Marc said.

I don't know but she looks pretty clean for pitchin' hay and diggin' fence posts. Also, these images seem to be more editorial in nature rather than of glamour. Glamour is all about the model and the props are there only to enhance or give purpose to her presence. If in the secon image she were to look into the camera with a smile or scowl?

On a more personal note, if your wife is going to be your main model and muse I think we here at GG are in for some real treats from you two.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 09-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marc,

Thanks so much for your input.

My wife is actually the genesis of the re-kindling of my interest in photography. I'm an attorney as well (of the trial/gunslinger variety), and she recently announced that I am too stressed, too much at the office, no fun, and need a hobby. I reminded her that I like photography and thereby cornered her into agreeing to pose for me on a regular basis. Her alternative was to sit quietly and watch me build military scale models.

I agree with you about the tailgate. I toyed with the idea of trying to Photoshop it into another bale of hay, but my photo-editing skills just aren't up to that task yet. I tried cropping the tail-light, but I lost part of her hair that way. I was also trying to keep her head at the intersection of the upper-third of the image and the left-third of the image, so I decided not to crop the tailgate off the bottom. In retrospect, I probably agree that this image may have been a good example of knowing when to ignore the Rule of Thirds.

I agree with you on the DoF in the second shot. Honestly, I'm still learning digital photography. I had forgotten how to switch my camera to manual aperature, and I didn't want to go look for the manual! I've addressed that problem, and it won't happen again. LOL. I think that the color problem is atrributable to the fact that it was a REALLY ugly, hazy day, and I took the pictures in the early afternoon, rather than waiting for evening. It looked like rain, and I wanted to get the pictures before a rain ruined my irrigation ditches. Another lesson learned -- "patience"! The triple symmetry was intentional, and I thought it was a nice touch, but it does perhaps make things look a bit forced. As to the green rag -- I invite you to try to convince my wife to sit her clean bottom on a pile of dirt. I'm not that persuasive, myself. LOL

Thanks again
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FotoTejas Visit FotoTejas's homepage! Find More Posts by FotoTejas

Old 09-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Rick,

Thanks for your input.

Funny story. Last week I sent a framed copy of the shovel picture to her parents, for their home. Her father had to call me soon thereafter. Her mother had looked at the picture for a while, then looked at her father and said "She looks really good for just having dug that hole." He just smiled and said "Dear, I don't think she dug the hole."

I have to admit that I don't really acknowledge the existence of a "green line" between "glamour" and "editorial." Personally, I think that a picture (even a picture of a beautiful woman) is just -- I don't know, "boring" -- without some context. I try to take all of my "serious" pictures with some context. Sexy roustabout in torn jeans and one of my old workshirts, but holding tools beside an oil well. Sexy cowgirl in hat and boots, but holding a tube of wormer and standing beside a corral full of cattle. Sexy rollerblader in short-shorts and nearly no top, but posing beside the "no rollerblading" sign outside my office building. If my preference for context places my images into the "Editorial" category, I hope it won't make y'all run me off, because this site looks like lots of fun!

I have to admit that I'm lucky in several ways. First, the wife isn't at all hard to look at, and she has agreed to pose for me regularly -- even if she only agreed to do so in order to get me home from the office and doing something with her. Second, we live near a major university, and the wife has already agreed that I can also photograph as many pretty co-eds as I can convince to pose. Third, our family ranch has tons of great locations for photography, ranging from stock ponds and creeks to delapidated old barns, from corrals and working pens to some truly breathtaking vistas.

I can't express how much I'm looking forward to resuming photography, and to improving my skills by sharing my efforts with everyone here.

Hasta luego, amigo

Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.209

Don't worry about being run off because of your style and don't be too worried about "categories" either. 90% of the people posting to this forum are here trying to improve their skills and glamour photography has a very wide variety of "categories" to choose from. Just don't let yourself get "corralled" into one.

I also have to agree with you on two of the points you've made. First, having a model pose in an image with "context" can be satirical, witty and glamourous and second, you're right, the wife isn't hard to look at at all.

I see you found a way to post more images to your portfolio. Good going.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 09-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35686

riosun is offline IP: 64.219.147.122

CC,

I noticed that your wife is looking up and away in all of the shots here and your portfolio. Quite aloof. How about something direct and friendly.

A common reaction to this request might be, "I hate how my smile comes out in pictures."

That is usually caused by someone self-consciously trying to stifle their smile. Get her to laugh, we all look good laughing.

Bruce
  View Public Profile Send a private message to riosun Visit riosun's homepage! Find More Posts by riosun