Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Would like your opinion on my shots
Old 09-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
SteveZ

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.100.176.174

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello from Toronto, Canada! I'm new to glamour photography, I've taken some workshops at Spectrum Studios in Toronto. We learn lighting, how to bring out the best in a model, setting up shots,etc. Here are some recent ones from Sunday's Workshop. Would like to hear your comments!

Regards,
SteveZ

Your Shots -- and the Models
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195
Comments: 0

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Steve

Welcome! Glad to see a new face post!

Your shots are pretty good. At this point it's in the edits and the details.

The second shot is a loser -- missed the eyes -- so you can toss it.

The first shot has a minor issue -- her left hand looks a bit mis-shapen because of the way she's bending her fingers. Keep your eye out for the details!

One observation about the models. The dark haired model in 1 and 3 has my attention. She's looking at me -- even in the first image where she's somber, but interested. The second model has that "lost" look. This is one of the toughest things with (I assume) new models. There's got to be SOMETHING in your look -- even if it's nothing. A something nothing.

Bob

A model that has "it"

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Re: Your Shots -- and the Models
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
SteveZ

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.100.176.174

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate your comments. I will post some more in the next day or two.

SteveZ

Re: Would like your opinion on my shots
Old 09-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.105.67.125

Steve, nice work, especially the first one. The second one, well, high key photos are hard to do well. Sorry, I can't hold this back, the arm pit stubble bugs me, a lot. I do like number three though.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Re: Your Shots -- and the Models
Old 09-02-2004, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39597

robstang is offline IP: 24.10.133.30

Your Models eyes on your reply page are beautiful and piercing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to robstang Find More Posts by robstang

Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39597

robstang is offline IP: 24.10.133.30

Your model in 1 and 3 look entirely different. If you were looking for a transformation you hit it right on the head.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to robstang Find More Posts by robstang

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Dani is one of the best!

Dani's Profile
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 09-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39645

AllenS is offline IP: 65.65.99.214

Welcome aboard Steve. I'm new to glamour as well and have taken some workshops down here in Texas. I have to give you a hard time about not having any out door shots, Canada is beautiful in the summer.

Ths first shot is nice, but I would have thrown in a black cowboy hat, either wearing or hoding. It would have rounded out the picture theme nicely. Shot number 2 would have been great with some nice big open eyes. From my experience, slosed eye shots only work when complimented / accompanied whit an open eye shot of the same model. Shot number three is great accept the background blends to much with her clothing. Throw that same shot against a black ground and it will really Pop.

One additional comment, I would crop the shots a little tighter in post production or during the shoot. Fill the frame top too bottom, some space on the sides is ok as long as it's not excessive (like landscape). There is nothing interesing in the top 6 inches of background above the model, so loose it and blow the model up to feel the frame. This will put the Glam on the model. I not sure hat u'r shooting, but an example Rolando gave at his workshop was that a 5 meg pix camera doesn't do you any good if your only capturing 2 or 3 meg pix of your subject and 2 meg of wasted border space. Frame tight during the shoot (you can leave a little room to work) a fill the frame with your subject. Your larger prints will look much sharper and contain more detail. (note - If you're your going to be printing 8x10's be aware that when converting from 2:3 aspect of the camera, you will loose 1/6th of the immage off the top or bottom. a work around is to print 8:12's or 6.67:10 which matchs the aspect ratio of the camera)

Here's my example of filling the frame.

Glad to have you aboard. Great start so far. I look forward to your feedback on my future posts.

Allen
Austin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AllenS Visit AllenS's homepage! Find More Posts by AllenS

Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Hi, SteveZ.. welcome to GG.

I think your first image is seriously hot! The direct contact of her eyes to the viewer is definitely an advantage in glamour... her costuming.. out of focus background.. all bring the viewer's eyes right to hers. The only minor gripes would be that the image appears to be a bit cool in the shadows... I think it would be better if it was a bit warmer... and her left hand seems to have been traumatized, missing a finger and the thumb. Showing all of her hand, gracefully, would have helped that little nit-picking point.

The second image... I think someone else said it better.. toss it. It might have been OK if her eyes were open and looking at the viewer... (can you tell I'm big on eyes?) and warmed up a bunch. A bit of powder would help the shadow in the pits.

Number 3 is very nice, as well. Good contrasting colors which compliment her skin tone. Is this one color balanced differently than #1?

Number 4... doesn't have a glamour "feel" to me... more like a stage actor's headshot, I think. The makeup is a bit somber.. her expression.. I don't know... not sensual.. not even happy... that make sense?

You're off to a good start! Hope you have the best of success.. being in the Toronto area you certainly have a lot of local talent to draw from!

Wayne

Here's my cowgirl, without the bale of hay!

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 09-03-2004, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39206

FrankD is offline IP: 213.84.78.250

Hi,
I'm also more of a beginner.
I like them alot but the last one is a let down for me due to the facial expression (she looks unintrested or tired).

Love the rest.

Greetings,
Frank
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankD Visit FrankD's homepage! Find More Posts by FrankD