Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A couple more for critique!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi gang,

Here are a few more that Chrissy and I did together. These are all in the same mill. All were done with window light only and one 48" gold or silver reflector. Penny for your thoughts...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: A couple more for critique!
Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.10.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Photo 1 has two distinct catchlights. I can't quite see how one windowlight and one reflector would do this. Usually the reflector would not show. In any event the lighting came out quite flat. If you increase the ratio of one light to the other, you'll get better modeling. The photo seems overly green.
The contrast ratio on photo 2 seems off. The bright outdoors is distracting and the scene through the window does not make much for the model to be peering intently at.
Photo 3 has a big pole in the background that is distracting and the lighing is again rather flat.
Hope these critiques help. Here is my film shot for the day:

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.105.66.101

Hate to say this, but the lighting seems kind of flat. I don't know what the weather was like, which as we all know, has a dramatic affect on contast, but maybe you could of used a fill flash which very well could of corrected the color imbalances in the secod one and improved on contrast. Or wait for a sunnier day.

Isaiah
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 08-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 204.36.17.2

Thanks, Isaiah. It was an overcast day and the reflector wasn't completely sufficient but I'll see if I can bump up the levels a bit in PS and see if it helps.

Have a great week and thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 204.36.17.2

Thanks for the input! I'm going to try and bump up some of the levels in PS and see if I can correct some of the issues you mention. As far as the pole is concerned, this entire room was nothing but pole after pole after pole. It's an old mill and these poles are holding up the second floor. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Scary thought since most of the second floor or cordoned off with orange cones to people won't fall through when they walk on it.

The brightness outside the window presented a problem because I didn't have what I could consider sufficient lighting to compensate for it. If I dialed down to an acceptable f-stop to get some detail outside, then the model would have come out really dark. The reflector wasn't giving me enough light to really satisfy the high contrast between the two scenes. I am going to try this again with more sufficient lighting next time and I'll submit my second attempt.

Not sure about the catchlight issue. In this photo there was one large window up high to the model's left and the reflector was as close as I could possibly get it without being in the picture and the reflector is quite large. I guess that might be what you're seeing. Interesting observation though. I saw the two catchlights but didn't really give it any consideration.

Thanks again for your thoughts. They are valuable. Have a most awesome week and happy shooting.

Mike

Old 08-02-2004, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36300

craigh is offline IP: 68.201.18.205

I haven't shot professionally for almost a decade, but if you are willing to listen, I have a few comments:

Images 1 and 3 have one thing in common ... a 1/1 lighting ratio. The problem with this is that a ratio that close causes a "flat" look to the images. In most portrait circles, the ratio is around 3/1. That means that if the fill flash (the one over your shoulder) is at f/5.6, the main or modeling light should be at f/11 when metered seperately. The correct setting for this setup will be f/11.5 ... try that ratio the next time... and I think that you will have something with more "snap" to work with. I like the image number 2, AND it's a direct contrast to the other two images showing a lighting ratio of around 5/1. As you can see,,, the other end of the spectrum isn't a bulls-eye either (loss of detail in the shadows).. But I'll take too high a ratio over too low of one any day. Here's something I shot last week:

Hope I've added something constructive.

-Craig
  View Public Profile Send a private message to craigh Visit craigh's homepage! Find More Posts by craigh

Old 08-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 203.134.35.243

A couple of suggestions:

- You could try emphasising depth of field: this minimises distractions from the background; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- If you are using two light, reduce one's power to at least half: this will increase the 3-D effect; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- Be wary of having two STRONG catch lights: they can be distracting; and [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

- Try using a prime lens: they are extremely sharp and surprisingly cheap. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]