Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Retro Hollywood Glamour
Old 07-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35199
Comments: 0

Ed_H is offline IP: 24.173.33.7

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is my attempt at the retro glam thing. All comments suggestions welcome. Does anyone get the element that doesn't belong?
Thank you in advance!
Ed
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ed_H Visit Ed_H's homepage! Find More Posts by Ed_H

Re: Retro Hollywood Glamour
Old 07-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617

joey61 is offline IP: 66.59.228.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Love that Hollywood Glamour style! I'd burn the background a bit more to remove the bottom of the picture frames and even out the contrast.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

A fine attempt. This is *such* a good try at a subject near and dear to my heart that I'm going to criticize deeper than I usually do. All of the following should come under "nitpicking." Generally, I really like the picture.

Her legs need more light: I'm assuming she's wearing hose and that's the big contrast difference, but it's disconcerting to have her face *so* bright and her legs so much darker, with her feet practically in shadow. Also, they seem to have a touch of perspective distortion caused by being too close with too short a lens, but that might be my imagination. It's definitely not very bad.

UPDATE: My wife says that her guess at what doesn't belong is the hose - she says she should be wearing stockings with garters, and that with her leg that high up they might even be visible. Also her toes would not be so nude.

Speaking of light, I might also have tried to bring the light down a bit to cut the shadow on her neck. Had I had the lighting, I might also have tried to soften the shadow on her left or else brought her arm out of it.

Her pose is generally good, but that left hand makes it look like she's holding herself up awkwardly. It needs a little more graceful posing. This might have looked nice with her chin in her right hand and her right elbow on the arm of the sofa, which would also have allowed a nice closeup, maybe. It'd be a shame to cut that dress or those legs, but it would make a nice crop and allow you to cut out the length of empty sofa. I also agree about the picture frames - lose 'em.

The expression is great: I'm assuming her eyes are naturally low-lidded. I would have tried to get her to open them just a bit more just to see what happened: if it made her look surprised, I'd have gone with this look, more than likely. Serene and somewhat imperious, which suits her very exotic features. Definitely the right angle for this model: a 45 degree profile shows this sort of face well while still leaving it some definition - straight on or 90 degrees might make it look too flat, especially with hard, direct lighting.

The earrings and the hair are great - well, the hair could be a bit smoother - and I can't find anything wrong with the dress. The shoes I'm iffy on but that is *purely* a matter of taste. This outfit seems to call for something a little strappier.

I would have given the candles on the bar a miss: they don't add anything to the picture and the floating lights are distracting from the model. As far as what "doesn't belong," I'm drawing a blank, unless it's that barbeque-grill looking thing to camera left. (I had to put the pic into PS and crank up the bright/contrast to see what it was. Is it a stool of some kind?)

Keep 'em coming!

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 07-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 66.76.43.121

shoes.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Joey,
I was trying to utilize some of the elements of the location we had to shoot in. I guess I could have darkened them a bit!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ed_H Visit Ed_H's homepage! Find More Posts by Ed_H

Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marc! Wow!
Thanks for taking the time. I love critiques like this!
I will try to respond to all.

This was the shot I was looking to get in setting up the model/dress/location. The rest were fun shots! Yes, I do have more from this shoot and she is a fun model with lots of expression!

I used a 650W Fresnel as my main, and studio modeling lights for fill. The light on her legs was the intended to fill in the shadows on her neck, I liked the result on her legs once I stepped back to see the overall picture, but didn't look again to make any changes. I agree, and good eye. I had a normal lens available, and should have used it. I just got a 17-40mm and had to try it out. This was at 40mm.

She was not wearing hose, but we had intended for her to be wearing them. Good guess, but not the answer!

Thanks for the posing suggestions! It is my weakness.

Thanks for the suggestion on the candles. They were available, I lit one for something in the background on some tighter shots, and cloned three more for this. I can easily take them out.

The bar stool probably shouldn't be there, and should have removed it, another detail overlooked on my part, but not the answer.

Thank you again for your time!

Ed

Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Nope, not the shoes.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.5.109.33

I'm going to go against some of the other advice and say you should try to extend the lighting used on her legs her face and neck. There were many types of lighting used back then and this was also a popular type.

Robert

View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 07-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Robert for your suggestion.
That is one of my favorite images BTW.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Sorry, I almost forgot about this...
The element that doesn't belong is the model being Asian.
In the era of lighting that I was trying to emulate is post WWII. At that time, Americans were not to fond Asian/Japanese people.
Thanks you all for the comments!