Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Let\'s try again
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994
Comments: 0

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.139.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I posted a photo last week and with over 400 views, got like 3 replies. Then I posted this one, and with over 400 views, got none. Now, I'm not a pro at Glamour or fashion, and I know there is allot I don't know, So, someone must have an opinion of what I could do differently. There is no way this is a perfect photo. Even if you like the photo, there must be some room for improvement.

If it helps, this was taken with a 10D at 7:00PM with a 50mm Lens with only available/natural light in the shadow of a building. No fill flash, no reflectors (no assistants available).

So, rip it to shreads! Go aheah...I'm a big boy, I can take it!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Re: Let\'s try again
Old 07-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi David,

My initial thought is that this is a nice image. I would have played with the cropping a bit. It's lit well and she's a lovely lady. The one thing that really bothers me is that her left leg in conjunction with her head seem to bisect the image right down the middle. Is that bad or good? I don't know. It's just what my eye saw right off the bat and it creates negative energy for me.

Uh-oh...late for work. Do you have some more? I'd love to see what else you did with her. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 07-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 12.145.192.117

David

I think you've fallen into a gap here. It's not the world's greatest photo -- but it's not crap, either. The lighting, composition and posing are all OK. Maybe you cropped off her feet?? But, then again they might not help the picture. I think you've engaged the model pretty well. Maybe you could crop off the excess space on the right to focus more on her?

You're down to details, here. The lighting could have had a bit more contrast -- not the kind of contrast you can add with PS. Maybe her chin is down a little and perhaps you can retouch the face a bit more? The biggest change might be the location. The fence and bushes in the background combined with the fabric of the lounge chair doesn't seem to fit with the wet model in vinyl pants and a men's tank shirt. So -- rent a better location or get better furniture?

My experience in watching the board is that if the image is really good everyone goes "OOHHH" "AAAHHHH" and if it's really bad everyone can jump right in -- the problems are obvious. When you're in the middle and people have to really work at it is when you get no comments...

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39057

AlfonsoC is offline IP: 213.9.253.40

Love it. But something doesn't work for me...

1. The feet and fingers... Why cropping them? Probably is better to include them on the frame and recrop later if needed/wanted.
2. The background. Chair works fine for me but the background isn't blurred at all or change it.

Have some predilection for redheads and this shows why... their misterious way who point their eyes on you (Ok.... I'm a redh junkie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC

OK I have a question
Old 07-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

How the heck did you get Eve Ellis?

Did you pay her or did she do TFP?

I like your stuff...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Re: OK I have a question
Old 07-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks,

Let's just say Ms. Ellis and I are collaborating on some things. I am not a "Professional" Glamour photographer, but I am a graphic designer, and we were able to find something I could help her with.

Besides that, she is one incredibly nice lady!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 07-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I see your point. I do have some other shots from our shoot that I will post at a later time with a differnt background (we shot some in the pool with the water and pool steps as the "background".

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the comments! It's funny, we actually had a completely different shoot in mind with a different location that didn't end up working out, so we sort of improvised so as not to waste the day (I had a new 10D that needed using....or did I just need to use it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I do see what you mean about the background.

I do have some shots of her actually in the water that I still have to look at and decide which ones I like best...I shot like 180 photos, so maybe those would be better.

Do you think a simple fill flash would have helped me? I was affraid of washout, but I guess I should have just tried it. I'm still trying to learn to grasp what I'm seeing on the little monitor on my camera...is it ok, too washed out, too dark? It's like I learned with film, now this little monitor makes me second guess what I already know at times.

Anyway, thank you so much for the input

Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I do have more that I still need to look at that I will post soon.

I have this tendency to shoot with a tight crop. I guess it comes from my work shooting cars. I do have quite a few with a wider crop though that I'll have to look at and post.

Thanks for helping me learn!

Old 07-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39057

AlfonsoC is offline IP: 213.9.253.40

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a simple fill flash would have helped me? I was affraid of washout, but I guess I should have just tried it. I'm still trying to learn to grasp what I'm seeing on the little monitor on my camera...is it ok, too washed out, too dark? It's like I learned with film, now this little monitor makes me second guess what I already know at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fill flash should now washed out, correctly used on the 10D gives wonderful results, but I forewarn you. Using E-TTL with EOS bodies is tricky to learn and understand, but once did, you will get real fine results (as a note... the main photo on my PF is made with the 10D onboard flash... is a matter of knowing how to use it - yeah.... made horrible things until learned how to use it).

If you plan to inves into an EX Speedlite flash, get the 550EX and study the camera and flash manuals & practice with them (using with the M camera mode & ETTL flash is a blast!).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC