Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My First Critique
Old 07-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.81.0.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

comments welcome
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Re: My First Critique
Old 07-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Um, interesting to be sure. I'm just wondering how someone comes up with an idea like this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My mind goes into overtime wondering what the main impetus is behind this and what is the intended message. The image is a bit small but I can definitely see this image in one of the books I saw at Barnes and Noble the other day. It was filled with all kinds of wild photos with very abstract ideas.

Thanks for sharing! Have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 07-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

The image is really too small to give you a good critique.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 07-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

... too small.... don't know if it's too dark on your monitor, but on mine, even the watermelon is way not-bright. Might be what you intended.. if so, then my comment would be that it's too dark to tell details, and that detracts from the image.

Wayne
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.43.189

3 bad things

1. WAY too small
2. WAY too dark
3. WAAAAAY too compressed

And some good things (I HAD to play with it to see them, sorry...)

1. Lovely model
2. Nice composition and idea
3. Nice lighting for the idea

Forgive me, but I've included my enlargement/edit here

See the funky ugly squares here?
That's from too much compression applied during the final save of the image.
Save at much higher quality.

The image is 206 x 275 pixels, it could (should) be twice/three times bigger.
This edit has been blown up to 200% so you can clearly see the pixelization from too much compression.

I adjusted the tone curves, adding a LOT of midtones and some highlights.

I think this is actually quite a killer shot all in all, one I'd be proud of myself (who's the model, where is she located?), but the final image preparation prior to posting makes it 95% unreadable qualitywise.

Please don't kill me for playing with your photo, I mean well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.139.234

The below comments are interesting, because I can see all the detail pretty well on my monitor (MAC 23inch cinema display). Although I agree that I'd like to see it larger. Great image!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Provocative
Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35247
Comments: 11
My Mood:

G_Roux is offline IP: 67.64.99.201

an interesting image. The image is a little too dark for my tastes, I would have lightened it up a bit. Overall, I like it.
gus
  View Public Profile Send a private message to G_Roux Find More Posts by G_Roux

HELP and Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

First off thanks to everyones comments.

Second, I would gladly post it larger (and brighter) if someone would kindly tell me how.

On, photosig, fred_miranda and even [censored], I simply look for the photo on my computer and load it up. But here, all I can do is put it in my Portfolio and then link to it.

Is there a better way?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Re: HELP and Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

[ QUOTE ]
Second, I would gladly post it larger (and brighter) if someone would kindly tell me how.

On, photosig, fred_miranda and even [censored], I simply look for the photo on my computer and load it up. But here, all I can do is put it in my Portfolio and then link to it.

Is there a better way?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...bigger, first. I assume, for a minute, that you're using a camera that delivers a digital image that's larger than a couple of hundred pixels across, so I'd bet that you're re-sizing your image, somehow.. I use Photoshop to resize my images to a width of 500 pixels across the horizontal and, at the same time, change the resolution from whatever it was to 72 dots per inch for posting on the web. For example, here's one of my 500 across (and let it be whatever it comes out to vertically):

It actually comes out to 500 horizontal X 707 vertical.. your mileage will, of course, vary as you crop the image. Most folks' monitors will show 500 pixels as a fairly visible size.

Regarding the brightness... again, I use Photoshop to adjust the brightness, color, contrast, etc. to where it looks good on my monitor. I've adjusted my monitor so that my own images look pretty much like everyone else's (as far as the brightness)... if your monjitor is adjusted differently, you may think the image is bright enough, or contrasty enough, but... so look at your images on another computer... several different computers, if possible, to double-check to see that you're gettin gthe same results as everyone else.

OK, now getting the image to GG is a little bit different in that Fred Miranda and the Place de la Uno Model (let's see if THAT gets censored!) host the images on their servers, while here, the only hosting normally done is in your portfolio.

Instead, though, you can link to an image that's available off the GG servers.. on your web page, on someone else's hosting server, etc.

For example, my ISP gives me 10 megs of web space. I don't use it for web pages, so I use it as a photo repository, uploading the images I want to share either on local web forums, or on GG. Then, I merely link to the image on the Charter server, and when someone looks at my message on GG, it redirects their server to go to the Charter server and grab the image. For example, my little biz card
doesn't reside on GG but on my Charter.net server. (Right-click on the image and look at the properties, and you'll see what I enter as a link).

If you have some place you can host images, then you're set.

That help, any?

Wayne

Wayne's web
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

yes
Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

huge help Wayne, thanks a million, I do have to hunt up a hosting site, however, I am building a photography web site, I'll talk to my "host"
stevenD