Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Image to critique
Old 06-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am attaching an image to critique here. I like some things about it and I dislike some things about it. I would like to hear what some other folks think about it, so let me have it :-)

Also, I would like to ask a possibly ethereal question. How do you get your photography to that next level. I see a lot of images that grab my attention when I see them. You can't just scroll by them you have to stop and look. When I am shooting I am thinking "create some diagonals, where are the triangles, create an S curve" etc, but I just can't seem to create an image that really just grabs my attention when I look at it. I'm not looking for a formula, but just something to work on to kick it up a notch.

Thanks for looking and please excuse my "kick it up a notch" and "next level" cliches.

Code:

View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Image to critique
Old 06-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.137.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The thing that immediately strikes me is that there is a beautiful blonde woman sitting on a stone wall that looks kind of like that of a water well, with a great bikini on in what looks like the lush green wilderness...with "stripper heels" on. I would have liked to see just natural bare feet.

But other than that, it's a great photo.

Sorry, I don't have a new image to post with my critique.....yet (I just took a couple hundred I need to look through)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 06-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.103.200

From a technical standpoint, it's a very well done photo. The setting and the crop is outstanding, as is the model, though I'm not sure the fancy shoes work in that setting. My only complaint is very subjective. In shooting ladies in the environment my preference is for a natural look, to have the model blend in and belong to the environment. To me, the pose looks artificial, forced; she looks off balance, almost as though she were about to topple off of the well. I think my reaction is caused mostly by the arm position. If an arm were on the stone of the well, as though to steady herself, or even extended along her leg would have helped.

Anyway, as I said my view is completely subjective.

My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

David,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your critique. Yes, I definitely agree about the shoes. I cropped a copy at the waist and cut off her legs altogether in one version. I am still trying to decide which I like better or if I should even crop it in tighter.

Code:

Old 06-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Doug,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Her arm is one of the things that bothered me about it, at least not being able to see her other hand. I hadn't considered the off balance look, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As far as being subjective goes, it is really hard to give a photographic critique without being subjective so I appreciate your input. It is the subjective elements that make an image interesting enough to give it a second look.

Good Question!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 12.145.192.117

Daryl

I like your question about taking your photography to the next level. I think that's what this web site is all about. Some of the opportunities you have are working with folks like JT Smith and Rolando. What do these guys teach in their workshops? I think it's attention to detail and working the extra mile for the image. Things like the heels your model is wearing. Or the fact that I can't see her thong -- so the top looks like it's just there... You could apply better lighting to isolate the model. You could go to a better location -- get better clothes for the model, etc. It's all a matter of detail. Look at the images that really grab you. Look at the details. How was the image lit? How does the photographer bring the model away from the background?

And you don't need to spend a million bucks on equipment. JT is still (I believe) working with a Fuji S1 and a Tamron lens. It's in the details. Pick the images that you can do with the material you have. You can make a great, attention-getting image with nothing but the model and some effort. Start adding clothes, props, locations, etc. as you increase your skill to manage the detail.

Most of all -- keep shooting and posting!

Bob

Lots of detail here....

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 06-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.139.234

I'm not sure I like this crop all that much. I think, technically, the shot is great, if not perfect. I just think it's the shoes. But hey, who says that's really bad. I mean, if the purpose of the image were for a calendar, then who cares. I mean, how often do you see a woman in a bikini and heals with a wrench in her hand fixing her camaro? But images like that are in calendars every year since the bikini and the car were invented.

But I do think bare feet and maybe, as was mentioned also, a more relaxed pose such as leaning forward a little or resting her arms on her knees. But, I'm no expert either. It's not like I can look through my camera and see if the model is perfectly posed all the time either. I always look at my shots later and think "if only I had that person lean a little more this way, the photo would be perfect".
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

P.S.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.139.234

Wow she has great legs...don't cut them off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Good Question!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Dman65 is offline IP: 24.74.54.246

Thanks for the comments Bob. They are very much appreciated. My reason for posting was to have some of those things pointed out so I can be on the look for them next time.

When you go to shoot do you have a pre-formed image in your mind that you are trying to create or do you just interact with the model and see where things go?

I guess I will just have to go out and find another beautiful subject to photograph and practice some more. Horrible thing isn't it?

Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Dman65 is offline IP: 24.74.54.246

Thanks again David. I do appreciate the critique. An honest opinion is what I am looking for. My goal is to get significantly better. I don't plan to ever be shooting for Maxim or SI, but I would certainly like to be good enough to someday.