Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Honest opinions desired....
Old 06-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 63.229.83.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

I would love to get your opinions on this photo. I cant get the portfolio link working when I posted this, so I placed it on a page that it will load from.

I would appreciate any and all honest opinions and comments on this shot.

It was shot on B&W film, only natural light on a sunny day here in Phoenix, Arizona. I was trying to get a good shot showing good contrast in light and shadows. No reflectors, no flash, no trap doors or hidden agendas.

Only Photoshop work was cropping and sizing.

Picture for comments.... (click here)

Thanks,

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Re: Honest opinions desired....
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.70.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Andrew:

I have a few problems with the image that I think you can correct the next time out with a reflector.

First and foremost, I can't see her eyes.

Second, the shadow under her chin-too wide-and by her neck which reinforces her neck tendon.

Third is the shadows across her chest makes that area look muddied. (shadow from a tree?)

There may be other things wrong with the image but these are the things that struck me right away. I hope this has been helpful.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 06-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew:

I have a few problems with the image that I think you can correct the next time out with a reflector.

First and foremost, I can't see her eyes.

Second, the shadow under her chin-too wide-and by her neck which reinforces her neck tendon.

Third is the shadows across her chest makes that area look muddied. (shadow from a tree?)

There may be other things wrong with the image but these are the things that struck me right away. I hope this has been helpful.

Rick D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

Thanks, I had a feeling that you would be the first or only comment.. (hehehe)

OK, I appreciate your comments, and I understand what you are saying. I am not going to ramble on with "defenses" as some would do.

I didnt use a reflector, as I dont have one. Yes the shadow across her chest might just be from a tree, I think there was a fairly large one just off to her right, I have other pictures of her from that location.

Thanks for your insights and comments.. I do appreciate them.

There are more of her at the page I created for her, and if you like, you can see them here (you dont have to but if you want):

Toni's page

Up in the right hand corner there are links to two pages of pictures all shot on the same day...

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 06-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Steve_Lockwood

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.118.232.102

At least on my monitor, the face is completely blown out of any detail, eye lashes and eye brows are visible but theres not a lot of facial detail.
A higher and to the right shooting angle would have minimized the look that she has a fat neck. The uneven lighting on the shirt is slightly disturbing.
I think just by bringing down the brightness you may get a little detail back.

Old 06-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.0.94

We all know the "rules" are there to be broken,but they are also there for a reason and should broken only by intent and for a good reason. Unfortunately in this shot you broke two of them, resulting in damaging the image.

First, the lady is attractie, but she is not a 'small' lady. Posing her with her shoulders square on to the camera maximizes her size. If you had used the same pose, but turned her shoulders at even a slight angle to the camera would have given a more slimming effect.

Another "rule" says the when the face is turned at an angle to the camera, the nose should not break the line of the far cheek. The reason for the rule is not esoteric, it simply means the nose is visually exagerated, drawing attention to it and making it look bigger. Compare this shot with the one you placed on her page and I think you'll see the difference.

With all that said, it's agod effort and you should definately continue.
My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 06-20-2004, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Andrew
I think others have given you some good feedback which I agree with. Remember a piece of white foam core board can be purchased at WalMart for probably $2. Also many fold up car window shades have silver or gold mettalic sides and also make good reflectors. I love the fact that you are posting your work. Keep doing that.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 06-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Great Collaborator

Member GG#: 38299
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to geowulf Send a message via AIM to geowulf Send a message via MSN to geowulf Send a message via Yahoo to geowulf

geowulf is offline IP: 68.2.167.214

Man it's been awhile since I have posted my two cents.

I would have to agree with the feedback of others. So not much I can offer you.

These were taken at superstition springs mall, right?

-G
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geowulf Find More Posts by geowulf

Old 06-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

Thanks, to all of you.. I do appreciate the comments.

And yes the pictures were all taken at the Amphitheatre at Superstition springs mall. In daylight, no flash no reflector, (Mike I dont have one of those car shades.. as I currently dont have a car.. my car shade was folded cardboard any way.. )

Again, thanks for the comments and the insights..

Andrew