Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nothing on PhotoSig -- how about here?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.195

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A bunch of views on PhotoSig for this image, but not a single rating on it. Thought I'd try it here...

View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: Nothing on PhotoSig -- how about here?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37265

DarkLeather is offline IP: 65.67.63.20

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There is something profoundly weird about either the angle you shot from, my monitor, or my eyes. Could go either way, I suppose. It sort of looks like the picture got compressed vertically to me. I like most of your work, but this one, not so much.
--Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DarkLeather Visit DarkLeather's homepage! Find More Posts by DarkLeather

Old 06-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

The perspective on this image combined with a model who is normal sized makes everything not work visually. It compresses a woman who I do not believe is 4' 10" and 140, into looking like one.

I agree with Sam I've seen lots more from you that was better.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 06-18-2004, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.137.62

I would loose the cooler. Neither the lines or the color works with the rest of the picture. The perspective causes the car to dominate the image and pull the focus away from the model. A tight crop on the model, even if she is on the left side of a horizontal picture, will draw the eye to her because of the bright colors in her dress. I like the color of her dress with the car, they work together. Her attitude has a story to tell. With a different background that story will be more interesting. Something like a long stretch of road, interesting signage, or a run down motel. Composition possiblies are limited by our imagination.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 06-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 68.78.202.27

I would agree with most of what was said already... However, I like the cooler in the shot. the outfit, car and cooler set the era. The models expression is probably the big thing for me and that is really a nit pick kind of thing. I would expect a woman in that era and in a shot like this to have a bit happier expression. I also think the angle is a little weird for me. Take is for what it is worth and good job.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 06-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

I really like this idea, however I agree with much of what has been said. I believe a higher angle would have worked better for this image. Maybe if you pulled back a little and shot from a higher angle you could show other cars behind this one. Kind of pulling the whole drive-in theme togeather. Of course you may not of had any other old cars to work with, but again I like the idea. I may even steal it, we have a real old drive in theater in my home town. 50 foot high concret screen and original speaker posts. Thanks for posting.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 06-19-2004, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 68.219.133.213

Actually, she about 5'00" and 140 -- so....

Thanks for the critique
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 06-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Then the perspective is better than I thought. I meant to say also that I do like the concept and even though others don't I like the cooler in the image because I've been there done that in about that time frame.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 06-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Hi Ed,

That car is a serious BOAT! Gosh, those things must have weighed four tons..hehehe Great for drive-in movies though. I remember those days well. Every Friday night, $5 a carload (but they never checked the trunk). And who could pass up a cooler full of ****s, er, Schlitz malt liquor? Of course, I don't drink (never have) but I always went to the parties to watch my friends make complete asses of themselves as they attempted to enhance their personalities with various and sundry concoctions (usually mixed in a bathtub with fruit thrown in).

I'm going to be doing a shoot this summer with a model whose husband owns a gun shop and we are going to do a Mafia theme. I'm trying to find a replica Tommy gun from the 1930s era for the shoot. We already have the wardrobe and there is a classic car dealer by my house who I need to talk to about using one of his cars for the shoot. Should be fun. I just hope I can pull it off. I have zero creativity and so I'll probably end up looking for examples and emulate them but hell, how else am I going to learn?

Have a most excellent weekend, kind sir, and I'll catch ya later.

Mike

This is the model that I'll be doing the mafia shoot with. Sorry for the crappy picture....lots of jpeg artifacts. Shot it with a cheap, consumer digital. I should have my D70 within a week or two if Jason finds that they have them in stock at Youneek Foto. One can hope! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 06-20-2004, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Great Collaborator

Member GG#: 38299
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to geowulf Send a message via AIM to geowulf Send a message via MSN to geowulf Send a message via Yahoo to geowulf

geowulf is offline IP: 68.2.167.214

Forget the technical critique.. I like the story it tells. ;-)

G
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geowulf Find More Posts by geowulf