Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Too Much?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36309
Comments: 0

BigRock is offline IP: 66.91.12.209

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Good balance or too much PS?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BigRock Visit BigRock's homepage! Find More Posts by BigRock

There is a difference between. . .
Old 06-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.166

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

presenting an image as an enhanced photograph and one that is a work of art. I might try to judge the artistic merit but not the method. Since the tools the artist uses is not the issue in his work but rather the finished product who can say whether it is too much or not. How you arrived isn't the issue. Who cares if Michaelangelo used a sledgehammer or a Craftsman ballpeen, his statues are still masterpieces. Having said that, this is pretty good stuff.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: There is a difference between. . .
Old 06-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37265

DarkLeather is offline IP: 65.67.63.20

That's a good observation. I looked at this when it went up, but couldn't figure out what to say. Now I know why! As an exercise in Photoshop, it's well executed, and I bow to a good craftsman. I'm not entirely a fan as an aesthetic work of art, since I seem to focus on the symmetry of the background more than anything else. But that is an entirely personal observation of taste, not a fair criticism of the technical merits. Good job on the whole, worth the doing.
--Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DarkLeather Visit DarkLeather's homepage! Find More Posts by DarkLeather

Re: Too Much?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Mark,

I think CClesue hit it on the head... as long as we're appreciating your image for the artistic merit, the technical aspects of too much/not enough/just right are irrelevant, or at least should be. Of course, this being a forum of photo geeks, reality says we're all going to have at least some interest and opinion in the "how" versus the "why".

Did you start out to do the image this way with a specific idea in mind, or is this one of those "found and fortunate" images we've all be able to construct?

I really like your image and would love to see a large (3'x5' or so) print to better appreciate the changes in focus/background. I'm somewhat distracted by the purple coloration of the light/structure immediately behind the model. I'm thinking that a more neutral tone (have you ever seen a selinium toned fibre print?) might be less distracting, while still giving the effect of a muted coloration.

Good job!

Wayne

Wayne's web page
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Re: There is a difference between. . .
Old 06-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Very well said. Saying that a photographer or artist did a good job because of the tools they used is like telling a chef that the only reason they can cook so well is because he or she uses good pots, pans, and cutlery. Ya, right, and I have 300 feet of oceanfront property for sale in Minnesota if someone is interested. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 06-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.5.109.33

Not too much, in fact maybe not enough. I'm a fan of Jerry Uelsmann, which I'm guessing this is a homage to. IF you feel like playing around with it further I'd try the following and see if it looks better or not.

1: Get rid of the two horizontal shadows on the ground by her knees and calves. The reason is to make more of a frame and these two shadows chop up her proportions. Going in the oposite direction; I see where you could be using the scenery to accent her body sections by having lines running to her hips and knees, but I'd still get rid of the short thick shadow by her calves and lighten the shadows slightly to a closer match to the limbs of the trees.

2: Bring the material at her feet that drapes off to the left and fill it around to an equal amount to the right, mirror-like, to create more of a base to the model. By being the only asymetrical thing in the image it draws away from what should be the main interest. Keep the small branches that come up in front.

3: Add more branches to the empty spaces along the sides of the image. I wouldn't blur out the sides of the image but keep it sharp.

Again these are not criticisms, the picture is good as is, but suggestions that may or may not work to make the image better.

Good going!

Robert Jensen

View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 06-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Great Collaborator

Member GG#: 38299
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to geowulf Send a message via AIM to geowulf Send a message via MSN to geowulf Send a message via Yahoo to geowulf

geowulf is offline IP: 68.2.167.214

I agree with carlos and sam.

Its more of a piece of artwork than a "photograph". ;-)

That said, I like it!

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geowulf Find More Posts by geowulf

Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38735

GWheeler is offline IP: 162.40.171.66

Several things have been said about your image. All I'll say is I love it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GWheeler Visit GWheeler's homepage! Find More Posts by GWheeler

Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.129.82

It's definitely nice. I like it alot. Might have gone with blue instead of red/pink, but what you've got works.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike