Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Military Disparity & Abuse
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For those that know me, I served over 8 years active-duty, U.S. Army (E-6, Staff Sgt.) and over 8-years Air Force Civil Service (GS-12), so please understand, this is not a Democrat vs Republican rant, though some will probably argue this because it's about remarks made by Rush Limbaugh. I take no sides in politics, other than I vote for who I think is best suited for office. (Note: This is not about Rush, only the facts on how the military gets screwed, it's the same with divorces and disability for the military.)

That said, here is some of what was said and it's very sad (full post here: Military Disparity & Abuse )

The article focuses on the disparity of our military who die in service and those that die as casualties for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Keep in mind, our men and women who serve patriotically, serve voluntarily so we can enjoy the freedoms we have, including being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

While there is more in the article, much more, here is a couple of facts:

Compensation for Sept. 11 victims families averaged $1.185 million per person with the lowest at $250,000 and the highest so far at $4.7 million.

For those uniformed service members killed in action going after those that caused Sept. 11th and other atrocities, their family's first check is a $6,000 direct death benefit. Fifty-percent of that is taxable.

They also get $1,750 for burial & funeral costs. Today, that will buy you a pine box with no tombstone. If the service member was married, the surviving spouse also gets $833 a month that ends when she remarries. Obviously this forces some to never get married.

If there were kids in that family, each child would receive $211 per month until they reach the age of 18 and those payments end, no exceptions. Funny, divorce decrees normally make you pay child support until the child reaches 21.

Now the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing want compensation too, and that bombing atrocity was caused by an American citizen, not a foreign terrorist(s). Now embassy bombing victims are seeking the same, soon it will be school massacre victims too. Keep in mind, you have military men and women protecting embassies too. Where does this end? Regardless, why are military treated so bad in death benefits when our Congress voted themselves a pay raise and military pay raises are just enough to keep military families on food stamps?

When a Congressman(woman) retires after serving only once, their pension is over $15,000 a month. "They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didnít have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harmís way receives a pension of $15,000 per month."

I'll have to agree with Rush on this statement:

"I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting. When do we finally do something about this?Ē

Thanks, rg sends!

Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez
Last edited by rolandogomez; 04-01-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Re: Military Disparity & Abuse
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62760
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to luckystarsphotography

luckystarsphotography is offline IP: 71.171.150.162

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thank you for your service. Even after you've retired....old advice never gets stale......keep your head down and your boots moving.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to luckystarsphotography Visit luckystarsphotography's homepage! Find More Posts by luckystarsphotography

Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52070
Comments: 2

LarryK is offline IP: 70.145.233.139

Remember the draft, all of us enjoy great freedoms and it is due to the people that volunteer to fight and protect this nation, without them a lot of folks would be doing it whether they wanted to or not. The folks in service to this nation should be treated like royalty because we have a lot to loose without them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryK Find More Posts by LarryK

Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.40.237.54

Thanks for remembering, Rolando. It is unfair, but in my 20 years in the Air Force, I don't recall anyone complaining about this disparity. I believe that it is because as a military member, you are cocooned in a military lifestyle and are unaware of what is really happening outside the gate. Instead of Kroger's you have the commissary. Instead of Sears you have AAFEES (base exchange). There are usually Burger Kings and such on base as well as a theater. Little League, bowling, hunting, fishing and more are inside the perimeter fence.

I remember thinking a 40 year old sergeant was "old" because one did not see many people on base with gray hair. I knew everyone's pay from the general to the airman. I had free medical for my family and our needs were met. Why would I spend much time off base? When I did, I didn't know anyone because I was 1,000 miles from my home.

All these things add up to a blissfully ignorant force of patriotic families, doing their best every day and trusting their superiors and the elected officials to be there for them when they are in need. Sadly, when a tragedy happens, the family seems to be rushed off base post-haste. This keeps the masses ignorant of the way "we", our country, treats them once they have made the ultimate sacrifice.

And while I am on a roll, I also have to add how shocked I was at the pay disparity between military members and their civilian counterparts. I was not prepared for that. I severely underestimated my worth when I left the AF. (Luckily I came out OK.)

I hope this is not taken as a rightwing focus...it is my thoughts from my 20 years in the service of our great country.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 208.240.202.210

It's and absolute shame, a disgraceful shame, that so many get so little. And the ones who deside who gets what, get to choose what they take for themselves. we all should not only reply here in this thread but also send out a reply to this to our congressmen and senators and the white house. Will it do any good you may ask? How about we don't try to guess and just do it anyways. And keep doing it. And get our friends and their friends to do the same. And when someone asks if it will do any good or comments it wont do any good, tell them to do it anyways . I did, you should too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 66760

Chloe Taylor is offline IP: 110.39.207.16

Great pics, enjoyed watching them....

Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 66955

robert84 is offline IP: 218.65.120.73

I spend much time off base? When I did, I didn't know anyone because I was 1,000 miles from my home.

View Public Profile Send a private message to robert84 Find More Posts by robert84

Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 66760

Chloe Taylor is offline IP: 110.39.207.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert84 View Post
I spend much time off base? When I did, I didn't know anyone because I was 1,000 miles from my home.
Wow thats cool........