Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Ahhhh the joys of being a Nikonian ...
Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 68.62.100.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, so I had to send my D50 in for repairs a few weeks ago, and I was very fortunate to have a friend who just happened to have a spare D50 body that I could borrow in the mean time. The required 4 to 6 weeks pass and I get my D50 back.

I trade a few text messages with my buddy to arrange a time and place for her to get her D50 body back, no problemo.

skip forward a few days... I'm downtown shooting one of Grand Rapids more famous sculptures for a class assignment, and after about 15 or so shots, poof ERR. I try the shutter again. ERR. Again. ERR. Error message after error message. But oddly enough the shots I'm taking are showing up on the screen and are being written to the memory card. So why the ERR I ask myself.

Skip forward another few days to Black Friday. The camera store I bought my D50 from has 2 stores, and the repair department happens to be in another city, where I just happen to be shopping, or rather, not shopping while my pseudo girlfriend and her BFF are shopping. I figure I'll take my not repaired D50 directly to the repair department manager and let her handle it, only... The malfunction that I experienced a few days earlier isn't malfunctioning. In fact my repaired D50 is behaving perfectly. Sigh, okay so maybe all those ERR's from a few days earlier were just.. what? apparations ? didn't really happen?

So I didnt take it back to the store that day, picked up my pseudo GF and her BFF and went home.

Skip forward again to today (Sunday November 25 2007 if you're reading this in the future) I have a senior shoot with a client who had previously hired me for portfolio work.

Yep, you guessed it, my repaired D50 malfunctions, only this time the ERR message did not capture the photo, it did however capture a lovely solid shade of black. Black, black, black.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tell the client whats going on. Try to call the buddy and see if I can get her spare D50 body long enough to finish the shoot. NO ANSWER ! GAHHHHHHH GOTDAGGITRENAEANSWERYOURFRICKINGPHONE ! ! ! !

Explain to the clients again what the situation is, and almost beg them to stick around while I go buy a new camera. The clients were very understanding, and didn't mind waiting.

Decide to bite the bullet, spend all of the money I've managed to save from weddings and seniors over the summer and go buy a NEW (WOOHOO!) D80 at best buy.

On the drive to best buy I realize 2 things. 1. I don't have my check book. 2. I don't have my debit card with me.

So, I have to turn around, head back to the highway, go home, get the debit card, and then go back to best buy.

At best buy I talk to the sales guy, who happens to be a friend, get a D80 kit and check out. YAY. I'm on my way and things are just grooooovy.

I get back to the location and the client are waiting patiently.

Open up the box, attach the new lens, slip the battery in and turn the power switch to "on"

AND !

Nothing. The battery is dead.

Okay, no problem, I've got a couple spare batteries. I open the battery door.

THE BATTERY WONT EJECT !

It's stuck, the spring mechanism in my G*&da&$% brand new D80 is broken. Brand new camera straight out of the box, and it's defective.

I take a deep breath and silently utter a couple of choice meaty profanities, and explain to my ever so patient clients what the situation is.

They understand, and agree to postpone the shoot for a week.

I drive back to best buy, exchange the defective D80 for a new one, and this time I check it out BEFORE I leave the parking lot.

Everything seems to be in order on the new new D80, and I call my second client of the day to tell them I'm on my way. The shoot with them goes pretty much as planned except... how do I adjust the aperture?

Re: Ahhhh the joys of being a Nikonian ...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 71.15.100.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Okay, so I had to send my D50 in for repairs a few weeks ago,... yadda...yadda...yadda...
I don't think this has so much to do with you shooting Nikon equipment (yeah, I know... Cannons / Pentax / Leica / Hassies / Mamiya / insert the name of your preferred camera here... they never break!), but rather with (1) not having a backup plan IN PLACE when you were shooting with paying customers and (2) assuming that batteries are charged and cameras are working right out of the box. Betcha don't make those mistakes again (well, at least you've got a backup, now, with the D80 - unless you plan on taking it back and getting a refund. I know a guy who did that - only thing is he forgot to take out the memory card and, uh... well, suffice to say that the images were a bit embarrasing and also cost him his refund - he apparently told them the camera had not been used, so they didn't charge him the restocking fee. That changed when the store started making noises about fraudulent claims, or some such. But, hey.. he has a backup camera, too, now!).

Tough lesson, to be sure, but at least your customers seem willing to give you the second chance. Not everyone would be so magnanimous.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 68.62.100.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd View Post

Tough lesson, to be sure, but at least your customers seem willing to give you the second chance. Not everyone would be so magnanimous.
Yeah fortunately it was senior photos that can be rescheduled, and not something like say, a wedding. Though, if I had had a wedding scheduled, I probably wouldnt have give my friend her D50 back quite so soon.

And yeah, once I get back from repair (AGAIN ! ) I'll keep my D50 as a back up.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 87.177.99.186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I'll keep my D50 as a back up.
I (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with my E-300 even after it took a tumble and was saved by the lens (which didn't survive). I'm buying a back-up E-330 soon...just in case!

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap