Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Re: The Real Color of White-Lighting & Alien Bees
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.86.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I must have missed the post about the Italians. The Grease remark seems to be clearly about a baby oil application to create high lights and a more 3D image and is now being twisted to mean an ethnical slur.

Let's not play games with words.

Clearly Paul and Aperaturesomebody(Roland?) have issues. Aperture dude just posts samples of Roland's work. Is that even allowed? He talks about "we" and websites, but doesn't show a link to any. Leave them to their problems.

This site is great and so are the people on it. Can't we just focus on that?

I may not always like Rolando's work or his opinions, but that doesn't diminish his body of work and credentials. I have learned a lot on this forum and it is helping me to jump start my transition from film to digital.

You can teach and old dog new tricks, just not very fast, but this site is helping to improve that speed. For that I am thankful.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto
Last edited by kgphoto; 10-24-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.99.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
Rolando, I have to say this, you have my admiration for standing up for yourself and for your ethnicity. What was being said about Latinos and Europeans by a corporate CEO amounts to institutional prejudice, there is no room for this in this country anymore whether it be in commerce or government. Telling a joke among friends to lighten up atmosphere is one thing, but to demean another's ethnicity, culture or religion is quite different. I'm seeing here a business competition between the companies that sponsor you and the white lightning/alien bee producer. It's too bad that his capitalistic exercise in competition got personal and ugly, there is no need for it. Hey, do you remember when I told the Mexican joke in Virgin Islands workshop and everybody laughed, you didnt get mad, just came back wth a couple Polish jokes. See, we're still friends so keep up the good work. Ciao!
OH GOOD LORD!!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572

DBA1 is offline IP: 75.82.18.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCStudios View Post
OH GOOD LORD!!!!!
Sheep... I hear Sheep.... Baaaaa... Baaaaa....

Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 74.244.39.137

So I read the Buff comment you have a gripe about - where you assumed a racial slur was made agin' ya (as we say here in thuh South).

Frankly, Rolando, you're wrong. Simple as that. It is VERY clear that Paul was talking about the habit of glamour/pretty girl shooters of oiling up our models, be it with baby oil, Pam, or grease.

Can Buff be rude and opinionated? Yup. But, Rolando, your Buff beef has gotten out of hand. It is one thing to preach to your choir, quite another to take your beefs to other sites and other forums to continue bitching about Buff and his Bees.

Since you've threatened Buff and others with legal retaliation based on their forum posts and such, one would think you would know not to air your dirty laundry so publicly.

As a friend of mine says, "Shush time for you."

...and there's a private wager with how you will respond to this post (if you do)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 205.188.117.141

Maybe theres more to this than what I see. I sure hope so. I take what Paul said was about the model and the reference to you is that being a (glamour Photographer) which in nudes it is common to grease up or oil up models. Is there more. I hope to God there is. Are you reading what you want to see in this. I dont see it. (I hate racism of any kind.) This whole thing just makes me sick. It needs to be stopped now. Rolando I don't know why you let it on this site. Its your responsibility to bring this to an end on this site. You started this along time ago and see what become of it. You sometimes speek harshly about products that you dont care for or had any experence with and when you say these things Your talking about peoples lifes work. I can understand somewhat how Paul feels. Hes got a great product and for years you have belittled it. You have done this to me face to face in one of your workshops. The bottom line is, This is not the place for your personal fight.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 205.188.117.141

There was never any remark about latinos. That is what you said. And as far as greasers, It was always a racial slur for Italians. When did latinos pick this up.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

For Ed and all...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

Ed,

First, it's funny how people who are of one race can say to someone of another race what is racial or non-racial to that specific race. Especially people that have never experienced racism as a minority. As an example, many people think calling Latinos "Hispanic" is ok, especially our own government and non-Latinos. I have no clue where the country "Hispain" is, do you? I didn't come from Hispinola, I was born a Texan, not a Hispanic. When you or anyone of non-Latino blood questions my interpretation of Paul referring to me as grease and greasy, you have no clue much less no right to tell me how I should feel or interpret his remarks.

Second, I never started anything with Paul personally. Someone posted here about lighting, I responded. He then took my remarks, out of context, and posted them on the Fred Miranda forum--yes, I said, "out of context," does that sound familiar?

I myself invited Paul to this forum to have a dialogue about his products after he did the latter--he of course did not show up--so nothing would be taken out of context. Instead he chose to bash me all over photography Internet forums. I have never bashed Paul personally, I've clearly stated my real problem is his marketing with the word, "effective" when it comes to describing the power of his lights--I'm not the only pro who has posted about this, one is Philip Greenspun of Photo.net. Does Paul bash him?

Paul started his own forum and in the beginning of it he does nothing but bash me and this site and even bashed me all over DPR. I ignored it untill I found statements that were not true--the Rangefinder/WPPI multiple comments and even other remarks I do not reference on my blog. He told the world publicly on a very popular photography forum that I was a "liar" a "whore," and banned from one of the greatest photography shows, WPPI, which I attend every year. If you think I will not counter to that, you wrong.

Did I ever call Paul a liar, unethical, greasy, whore, etc? These are all words Paul has posted and posted on more than one photography forum. All I ever said is I don't like his marketing and his products, he could simply say he doesn't like my photography and writing, not call me names and not tell the world I was banned from one of the top photo shows I attend annually--not the CEO of photography lighting company. There is no excuse for that, period.

Third, I never said I threatened Paul with legal action, I said I consulted with two attorneys over this matter. I did this because I'm a photo instructor, photography book author, photography magazine writer, photojournalist, photo industry speaker, etc., etc., and when you have the CEO of one of the leading advertisers in photography magazines publicly making slanderous and untrue statements about me on the Internet, were those posting are archived forever, it creates damage and future damages to what I do. He didn't write these remarks in the local newspaper.

I find it absurd that anyone would think I should ignore false "public" statements made by the CEO of a photography company considering I've been involved with the photo industry and photography for almost 30-years.

Fourth, this is not a Hensel vs WL/AB issue. Hensel is in a total different league. Hensel has nothing to do with this neither than Dyna-Light or Novatron. And for those posting that Dyna-Light dropped me as a sponsor, you're totally wrong, in fact I was asked back after being with Hensel for about six months and Dyna-Light is not only an excellent product, but the people there are awesome and the CEO certainly doen't make false statements about me.

Fifth, I only post by my name, not any other name on DPR and any other forum for that matter. In fact I haven't posted on DPR in at least six months, though Paul loves to accuse me of being various posters on DPR.

As far as your private wagers, gather up all your wager-buddies and head to Las Vegas next year for WPPI were thousands of photographers will be. I'll be there and I'll be happy to tell Paul and anyone how I feel about his untrue remarks and what I take as racial slurs--and that is not a threat, I'm a real approachable guy and always open for discussions.

All the best, rg sends!

Click for larger version
For Ed and all... 
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #38 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

Quote:
Maybe theres more to this than what I see. I sure hope so. I take what Paul said was about the model and the reference to you is that being a (glamour Photographer) which in nudes it is common to grease up or oil up models.
Why use my name? Why not say your point? Why even reference my name in something I was not posting on?

On your other points, I speak what I feel about products, whether I like them or not, I tell what I feel and I only accept sponsorships of products I believe in. Please read my response to Ed.

Thanks, and all the best, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #39 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

For a statement to be a slur (be it racial, gender, religious, etc.) it must have intent behind it. Two people can interpret the written or spoken word differently. While you have every right to feel slighted, unless it was intended as a slight, you're just mistaken. I've seen many of your images on your site and books -- on most the model's skin looks dry to me. You don't make oiling models a trademark by any means, so I agree that there was no reason to use your initials or name in reference to it except to dig at you somehow. But I no longer think it was racially motivated.

You may interpret it otherwise -- but without proof of intent, it's just interpretation. Frankly, I think there's more bad blood here between the two of you than most of us know. I read your posts and I feel you're portraying yourself as a victim .. but you're not ... you're taking shots at him too, you're just doing it in a less electronic forum.

Again, I'll point out that in both of your GC Chicago woekshops, you made the opportunity to slight PBC's products. It was the only part of your workshops I didn't find professional. I was there -- you were not responding to a specific question either time, you just launched into how his products were bad and then told the class about the Hensel dish offer. The workshops were so similar in that regard, I concluded it was part of your spiel.

You say you only have a problem with PBC's use of EWS in their marketing. However, you never mentioned EWS in the classes -- you talked about color balance being inconsistent. To say your only problem with PBC is the use of EWS isn't a reflection of what you're saying in the market.

By the way, I think I more than got my money's worth from the sessions. You offered some good insights and provided a well organized "pass the radio slave" shoot. I had great time and I appreciated the opportunity to shoot with the Hensel ring light. My next acquisition will be a ring light and pack. It was a nice piece of gear. My other equipment is WL ... so I'm hoping to try the WL ring as well.

In short, I'll attend another of your workshops when I get the chance. But I'll also hope to hear more about Hensel and less about other brands you don't like when I do.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58815

MontereyPro is offline IP: 70.134.87.132

Paul is just going to have his forum members sign up here and spam you with negative comments and take his side. That makes it useless to mention him although I did read the DPR posts and know that Paul is a few genes short of a full strand. He and his crew spammed DPR for months before he was banned a second time. His marketing crew is still posting there, but is being ignored for the most part. And yes, he was banned in part for being rude and attacking posters with semi race bating statements.

Just ignore him as most do his marketing crew on DPR.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MontereyPro Find More Posts by MontereyPro

Closed Thread