Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Re: The Real Color of White-Lighting & Alien Bees
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Perhaps this will clear up the issue on this particular slur and its origin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greaser_(derogatory)

See the very end of the article for the term that was sometimes used in reference to Italians.

Also see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greaser_%28subculture%29

for the 50's use of the term (and remember movies like Grease).

cheers,
rfs
When it comes to Italians, the term greaser doesn't really apply. Usually, the equally delightful term, greaseball, is used. Also, greasy Italian, greasy wop, and greasy guinea are popular amongst those who enjoy using racial and ethnic slurs.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340
Comments: 0

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I both enjoy my WL strobes and RG workshops...is it wrong?
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
glennusdin
This message has been deleted by rolandogomez.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
I both enjoy my WL strobes and RG workshops...is it wrong?
I think its perfectly okay. I enjoy by Novatrons that I've had for 30 years and also my ABs. They work just fine for the type of photography I do. The Novatron Power pack and the 4 heads give me a maximum of 240WS. Doesn't sound like a lot? Well it was enough to shoot covers for magazines, hundreds of wedding formals, numerous catalog pages, and so forth over the years. In fact I often dial the pack down to 1/2 power to get the needed results. But if I wanted to do the overpower the sun thing, I would be hard pressed with the current WS that I have available. So it all depends on what you need in the way of equipment. My view has always been that the ABs and WLs and Novatrons, etc. are perfectly okay for those on a tight budget and will give great results if properly used. The EWS controversy has never been much of an issue to me since it had been a subject of conversation for the last 30 years. It did make sense at one time when there were lots of higher end systems that really didn't produce as much light as some of the WLs as they should have based solely on WS. But that is mostly not true now days, so I think EWS will probably go away. Take a look at the new Buff ads of Zeus and you'll not see the same EWS thing any more.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 10-23-2007 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 69.38.75.221

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCStudios View Post
Thats what I was wondering....did the slurs get mixed up? cuz I thought it was the italians too that had the "greasy" slur. Im just glad they left us Peckerwoods, and White cracker asses out of this one!

Don,

Well said! But what about us mutts? I have Jamaican, Scot, Irish, English, African American, etc., etc.

I don't know what to be offended most about!

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 10-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37459

Dalmar is offline IP: 71.229.105.30

I like their products. Considering I'm not a pro, I can afford their stuff and it's good enough for what I do. That said, his comments are outrageous and I find them very offensive. I don't care what the history is, there's no excuse for comments like that.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
...I think EWS will probably go away. Take a look at the new Buff ads of Zeus and you'll not see the same EWS thing any more.
Yep, EWS is going away on the Zeus -- but the larger issue is that there's still no real established standard for comparing different strobes. WL publishes more data on their flash units...WS, EWS, Guide Numbers and Lumens than any other site I've seen. Hensel has some technical data in their manual, but unfortunately does not include lumens. Here's an interesting comparison:

WL X800 : 330 WS : Standard reflector @ 10', f16
Hensel 500: 500 J : Maxi-soft reflector @ 1m, f90

Good luck comparing those without knowing the angle of reflectance!
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

#1 standard for flashes...... Did it go off? #2 Did I have my camera sinked (That aun't spelled rite is it.) and set right. (G-- I hope so!!)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

What about us hill billies (mountain williams in plite company) and red necks?
sheesh. Left out again.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

Thanks, take out the "grease" and even the "banning from Rangefinder" for a minute, then read the remarks about Italians. Regardless how you interpret them, inexcusable. The post, both here and on the blog is about those comments, not is brand X better over brand y..thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.173.110.63

Rolando, I have to say this, you have my admiration for standing up for yourself and for your ethnicity. What was being said about Latinos and Europeans by a corporate CEO amounts to institutional prejudice, there is no room for this in this country anymore whether it be in commerce or government. Telling a joke among friends to lighten up atmosphere is one thing, but to demean another's ethnicity, culture or religion is quite different. I'm seeing here a business competition between the companies that sponsor you and the white lightning/alien bee producer. It's too bad that his capitalistic exercise in competition got personal and ugly, there is no need for it. Hey, do you remember when I told the Mexican joke in Virgin Islands workshop and everybody laughed, you didnt get mad, just came back wth a couple Polish jokes. See, we're still friends so keep up the good work. Ciao!

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 10-23-2007 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: correct a typo

Closed Thread