Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Ever Thought About Giving up photography
Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.195.167.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Lately, I've become very disillusioned and frustrated with everything photo related. People are avoiding me like I have a new and greatly improved form of both leprasy and the plauge. Like this one model, she told me that the images that I did for her got not only a great response, a large response, but they were better and more flattering than anything anybody had done for her before or since. Now, she will not return a phone call, or any sort of communication from me. I understand people get busy, but I can't believe that a person is so busy that they cannot return a phone call or a message once in a great while. Of course, this isn't the only example that I could state to prove my case, just one of many that I think illustrates my point. Throught all of this frustration not just with models, I am seriously considering just putting down my camera for good. Thank you for anybody who takes the time to read this, if you reply or don't, thank you just the same.

Isaiah

Re: Ever Thought About Giving up photography
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
Comments: 0
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.175.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There are flaky models and flaky MUAs and flaky clients and even flakey photographers. Photography is not my main gig and likely never will be for several reasons. I used to do lots of landscapes and architecture and abstracts and got awards, but could never get people to pay for what they wanted me to give them. Then I stumbled across some opportunities a few years ago to get paid to do glamour stuff. Since the guys at the camera store only take cash, not award ribbons in exchange for equipment, I figured it was a good idea. Even though it is not my real career, whenever money is involved, I always try to hold myself to the same standard.

One of the things that I have learned about this type of photography is that quite often, most of the people involved do not make their primary living from it. They usually do something else, often not involving photography at all, and this is a second or third thing. So, I am usually not the only one in the room doing this on the side. The shock came when I realized that I am usually the only one in the room holding myself to any kind of standard and thinking about anything other than the next five minutes. I don't just mean when they are being photographed. I mean on a daily basis. I think a big part is the typical age difference. What percentage of photographers are 18-25 vs 25-50? What percentage of models are 18-25 vs 25-50? Which age group is more likely to act responsibly and courteously?

I know it is just a phone call. How hard could it be? Here is an abbreviated true story: I had a tentative shoot with a model who had been bugging me to work with her for months planned for a Sunday afternoon. I speak with the model face-to-face on Thursday evening at model's primary job (waitress) and tell her that I will send an email on Friday with directions to shoot location on Friday. I send message on Friday with directions and time frame and ask her to call with confirmation of meeting time. On Sunday morning I initiate exchange of text messages because I have not heard from model. At this point I learn that she called Saturday AM in attempt to schedule shoot earlier but did not leave a message and I realize that I did not notice her call in my call log. Wishing to cut to chase and salvage the day, I call model instead of continuing text exchange, but she does not answer, just two minutes after last message. Shoot that she wanted so badly for months never happens and my day is wasted. Monday night I track model down for face-to-face chat. I take low key approach and apologize for missing Saturday AM call, but indicate that if she had left a message she would have been more successful at getting what she wanted and explained a couple reasons why relying on people to constantly examine their call logs is not a great idea. Her response was to blurt out "I don't f***ing leave messages" and storm off.

I haven't thought of giving up photography, but I have given up on her. I was at a workshop in August, and the person running it gave some great advice. The kind that is obvious, but that sometimes you need to hear anyway. "Don't get caught up on one particular model. God in his infinite wisdom made more." (I guess they are kind of like Doritos.) If they don't return your call after the second time, move on to the next one, and the next one after that if you have to. And models should feel the same way about photographers who don't return their calls, or provide promised images, or who pressure them to do things.

In short (um, I think I'm past short on this post) I know how you feel, but you just have to realize that you will meet a lot of people who will not take this as seriously as you do, and don't have the class to at least be polite about it. Do your best to forget about them and look for better people to work with. They have their lives and priorities and you have yours. Don't let them get in the way of what is important to you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35281
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Mitch is offline IP: 72.87.176.146

Hey Isaiah,

Remember why you first picked that camera up before deciding to put it down for good. Did you pick it up to please other people, to win friends, to amaze them with your work or did you pick it up to satisfy your passion, to create something to please yourself, to release your creative energy in your medium of choice? If you did it for the first set of reasons, by all means put it down. If the second set of reasons are more fitting, don't worry about what others do. It's just the human animal manifesting itself. Don't let the lunatics run the assylum!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mitch Visit Mitch's homepage! Find More Posts by Mitch

Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

Don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Nothing worse than coming on the net and looking for reasons to not give it up.

If IT is not inside you, then don't come here asking us why you should do it.

We're not your reason for existence. Or we shouldn't be.

Mitch said it perfectly. please re-read his post.

Good luck, you've always seemed to be a very decent person. You might be doing this for all the wrong reasons.

I'll miss ya.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 10-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

When people bug me, I get up really early and go looking for hawks.
They remind me what I bought this thing for to begin with.

Photography, like you, is not my main gig. I WILL NOT put my camera down because its in my soul. Not in yours perhaps Glen is right.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 98.192.161.107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey Isaiah,

Remember why you first picked that camera up before deciding to put it down for good. Did you pick it up to please other people, to win friends, to amaze them with your work or did you pick it up to satisfy your passion, to create something to please yourself, to release your creative energy in your medium of choice? If you did it for the first set of reasons, by all means put it down. If the second set of reasons are more fitting, don't worry about what others do. It's just the human animal manifesting itself. Don't let the lunatics run the assylum!
Lol, good post and thanks again. I picked up the camera because it's something I fell in love with some 20 years ago because I knew I could show the world as quite possibly nobody else ever had (to sum up, your second reason.) It just gets really, really frustrating when I have ideas that are dying to get out, they require a model, and I keep running into stuff like this. Thanks for replying.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58037
Comments: 1

Sarah McSib is offline IP: 24.11.113.185

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
It just gets really, really frustrating when I have ideas that are dying to get out, they require a model, and I keep running into stuff like this. Thanks for replying.

Isaiah,

First off, I just want to say you are a very talented (IMHO) photographer. You've been very helpful to me, through my learning process thus far. I appreciate your input, critiques and help. I would personally, find it very sad if you put your camera down.

Secondly, I understand frustration. I have several ideas that involve the kinda models, I don't have, and at the kinda places I don't have access to at the moment. I just figure frustration comes with the territory. No matter what career path you go down, you will always run into the "flaky" types. Just hang in there, as long as this is something you are really passionate about.

Thirdly... and lastly, Passion is a big thing with something like this. I couldn't imagine continuing down my learning path, and working towards my own photography goals if the passion I have about it, died. I really feel passion needs to be there. So maybe what you need to do is ask yourself, if you feel passionate about this still.

As I said before, you are very talented, and I have appreciated all your help in my learning. You are good for a conversation too, so be sure to keep in touch, no matter what you decide.

Peace & Love to ya Isaiah.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sarah McSib Visit Sarah McSib's homepage! Find More Posts by Sarah McSib