Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
From whom should I look upon to learn
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 91.150.78.111

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
I'm regular visitor or this site and I mean every day. Although I do not post too much images since I'm big amateur and my photos are still too far away from the ones that are shown here.
I know that there is lot of different styles and different techiques in photography but in some way I think that I could look upon somebody or several photographers and to start learning from them taking into consideration that many of them have been studied and learnt some basics in schools.....
The bottom line is that you could suggest some of them that are standing infront of the others by their specific work.....
I would appriciate your suggestions
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Re: From whom should I look upon to learn
Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well - this used to be a learning and educational board full of people that were eager to help and share.

Now it's a board geared toward seeing who's **** is bigger.

Good luck finding a willing mentor here - you'll have to dig deep to find the few that remain.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Howard View Post
Well - this used to be a learning and educational board full of people that were eager to help and share.

Now it's a board geared toward seeing who's **** is bigger.

Good luck finding a willing mentor here - you'll have to dig deep to find the few that remain.
Seems to me that there are lots of people in this group who help out all the time on the forums in giving critiques, advice, answering questions, and so forth, so I don't know where you are getting your idea.
Cheers,
Roger

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakd View Post
Hi,
I'm regular visitor or this site and I mean every day. Although I do not post too much images since I'm big amateur and my photos are still too far away from the ones that are shown here.
I know that there is lot of different styles and different techniques in photography but in some way I think that I could look upon somebody or several photographers and to start learning from them taking into consideration that many of them have been studied and learnt some basics in schools.....
The bottom line is that you could suggest some of them that are standing in front of the others by their specific work.....
I would appreciate your suggestions
There are several different schools of thought on photography. My view is that there is more to it than just good technique. Every photographer needs to have good technique but often just having good technique does not produce great photographs. Usually people learn good technique by either reading or going to workshops or working with a photographer as an apprentice. The other ingredient is lots practice to nail down and become comfortable with the basics of good technique.

Now, once a photographer as master the basics of good technique, he or she needs one other important factor. And that factor is an artistic sense of vision -- the ability to look at a scene and see in the mind a way of rendering it and then make the scene happen (in other words photograph it in such a way that it matches what was seen in the mind). Usually if this is done well, the viewer of such a photography will be effected on a emotional level.

One can learn various rules of artistic vision, composition and so forth, but rarely will just learning these concepts take you beyond a certain maximum level. The ultimate level, I believe, takes talent (which is a gift, not something that can be acquired). Talent has to be developed but ultimately I believe it is necessary to really accomplish true art. You can still create art at some level, even without true talent, but one will always reach a limit beyond which mere learning will not take you.

As to who to learn from? I would say, pick out the photos that you really like and imitate them. Ask yourself how they were lit, exposed, composed, cropped, etc. Then try to practice and apply the principles that you see executed in these photos. If you don't know how an effect was created, just ask and usually you'll get an answer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

Here's an idea:

I'd suggest that you take bits and pieces of things you like - that's how personal style evolves. Only chase the images you see in your own head.

Look around. See who's doing what you want to do. Those are the people to listen to. If someone offers you advice, and you examine his/her portfolio and see nothing you like - give it the due credit and move on.

If you want what they have, do as they do.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.252.85.186

Hi,
"to who to learn from"... (sorry for my bad English=From whom should I look upon to learn),
Thanks for your explanations specially to R_Fredrick_Smith....
what I was really wanted is to say for example the photos of the photographer "Rolando Gomez" are the most technically appropriate for the begginer to learn from, or the use of light that can be seen on photos of "MR....." is according to some basic rules that everybody should know, instead of me (amateur) judge what is good.... I could mistake a lot... maybe I like the model instead of the photo......
Enyhow, lot of things have been said and I thank you for your time....
Regards Zak
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50494

coffee_mon is offline IP: 72.134.97.150

Frank Doorhof seems to put things here from time to time and he's always willing to let you know what he did when you ask.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to coffee_mon Find More Posts by coffee_mon