Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Organization Formed to Promote Image Theft
Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Pirates have formed yet another lobbying outfit, based in Scandinavia. The following is from a newsletter by Glenn Folkvord, a leading advocate for what many Intellectual Property owners consider piracy. The website cited may be of interest to photographers, because it discusses changing attitudinal threats, legal threats, societal threats, and technological threats to producers of photographs. BTW, in an unrelated message, Folkvord discusses a software system which takes an image, breaks apart, and lets it be reconstituted later. Although this is at heart the same method that websites (and images themselves) are transmitted, Folkvord believes that the new software does an "end run" around copyright because the transmitted material is very different than the original material. At any rate, here's the post, and for those who don't understand copyright, let me mention that my posting of the following is covered by all four of the "fair use" criteria. For those who are tired of hearing about the actions of a well-known search engine named after a large number, please note that the "G" word is not mentioned infra. My own comments and clarification, if any, are in square brackets. "[ ]"

===================================

New international piracy collaboration launched

Following the raid against the popular file sharing [technically, the proper term is "file copying"] the The Pirate Bay, several Nordic organizations launch the international project The Pro Piracy
Lobby. Their aim is to create a common ground for further discussion and
cooperation [in lobbying for weaker copyright protection and more free distribution of protected material].

In Scandinavia cooperation across borders has already been fruitful. The
swedish Piratbyrån has acted offensively and succeeded in inspiring the
startup of both a Danish and a Norwegian Pirate Group. Together with the
international file sharing [copying] website The Pirate Bay, Scandinavia has
established itself as a prominent figure in the debate concerning
intellectual property and piracy [and infringement activities].

http://propiracy.org/

===============

glenn

Re: Organization Formed to Promote Image Theft
Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284
Comments: 0

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.195.185.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yo ho yo ho a photographer's life for me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56261

Dakewl is offline IP: 80.59.52.83

Your title for this post, it's a little unaccurated. This party don't promote any theft at all. One should read all their ideas before making a fast judgment.

PS. I don't support all their ideas, just the title didn't sound good to me

Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

A great looking organization. They have a sense of humour and use it to try and place the whole file sharing concept into perspective. I really found their platform statement quite amusing.
Strangely though, when I search there site, I could find no mention of photographs at all.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.195.185.106

On an unrelated note after reading your profile, I am picking up a new Diamond DA40XL next week. :>)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

[quote=R_Fredrick_Smith;241526]A great looking organization. They have a sense of humour and use it to try and place the whole file sharing concept into perspective. ...

Mr. Smith, who is an expert on technical aspects of the Internet, surprises us by using the inaccurate euphemism "File-SHARING" rather than the accurate and non-judgmental, "File-COPYING." As Smith knows, when a user of a P2P network "downloads" a file (or anyone accesses a website), the technology is CREATING A COPY and SENDING THE COPY to the accessor. After the P2P user has his copy, there are now TWO copies: the original one, and the copy just created and transmitted. These P2P systems are accurately described as file-copying systems. The term "sharing," is inaccurate, dishonest, and worst of all, paints infringers with the lauditory word "sharing."

When my colleagues hear the term "file-sharing" applied to P2P networks, they should realize that the user of the term is being either slovenly, casual about accuracy, and or deliberately dishonest.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41499

JimVanLuven is offline IP: 69.47.229.241

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuphotography View Post
On an unrelated note after reading your profile, I am picking up a new Diamond DA40XL next week. :>)
You just perked up my ears on my other passion. I am super jelous. I have to rent one. You will have to share how much you love it! Here is the one that I 'Borrow'. Took my dad for a ride before winter came.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JimVanLuven Visit JimVanLuven's homepage! Find More Posts by JimVanLuven

Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.149.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpics View Post
Mr. Smith, who is an expert on technical aspects of the Internet, surprises us by using the inaccurate euphemism "File-SHARING" rather than the accurate and non-judgmental, "File-COPYING." ... The term "sharing," is inaccurate, dishonest, and worst of all, paints infringers with the lauditory word "sharing."

When my colleagues hear the term "file-sharing" applied to P2P networks, they should realize that the user of the term is being either slovenly, casual about accuracy, and or deliberately dishonest.
Lauditory? Wow. Amazing.

A couple of things that I would respectfully suggest that you consider for the future:

1) You might (incorrectly) infer it, but that doesn't mean someone else is implying it.

2) File sharing is not an "inaccurate euphamism". It is a specific technical term, that refers to an activity that is distinct from file trading, both of which are covered under the umbrella term of file copying. As a lawyer, you might want to consider it something akin to a term of art.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57794

3rd Coast Twist is offline IP: 64.12.116.74

Just fly that cool plane over there and beat them over the head like baby seals. There's always a simple solution!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 3rd Coast Twist Find More Posts by 3rd Coast Twist