Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Envy & problems
Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50902
Comments: 0

gkulka is offline IP: 195.13.38.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello

I envy you guys all those beautiful models. I wish, I had opportunity to shoot some of them. Right now, I have problems finding any reliable model, even when it comes to commercial shoot, not to mention TFP. Do you have the same problems?

Best regards

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gkulka Visit gkulka's homepage! Find More Posts by gkulka

Re: Envy & problems
Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 12.210.11.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkulka View Post
Hello

I envy you guys all those beautiful models. I wish, I had opportunity to shoot some of them. Right now, I have problems finding any reliable model, even when it comes to commercial shoot, not to mention TFP. Do you have the same problems?

Best regards

Greg
No problems when hiring from a reputable agency. Don't waste time with models that are not signed. Some are great, I have mant great ones hire me all the time, however if they are not signed, the ratio of no shows and hassles and wasted time goes wayyyy up. Sad but true, even if only a few ruin it for the rest. A pros time is valuable, that's why I never take a chance and just hire them from a god agency, if the client asks me to get the talent, but usually they have the talent lined up prior to contacting me. Jeffrey
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti

Solution or a direct line to heaven???
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.61.206

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffadamshti View Post

just hire them from a god agency
Now would that be Elite, Next, or just The Big Guy himself?

Always wondered how Victoria's Secret came up with those terrific angels...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

The serious answer...
Old 12-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.73.218

Okay, I had my fun with the last post. Time to get serious.

I shoot strictly as an amateur in a mid-sized rust belt city. It's 85 miles to the nearest major city.

Do I have problems with models? Yes, some. Not as much as some guys I suppose, maybe more than others. Would I hire from a professional agency? Probably, if there was such a thing nearby.

Do I have no shows for shoots. Yes. Do I not get answers to emails. Yes. Do I let it bother me much? No.

I have one simple rule. No show... no shoot, EVER. The model ceases to exist as far as I am concerned.

There are a handful of models I have worked with a number of times, I treat them well, they reciprocate. If I really want to shoot, I'll contact a few of them to see if they're interested.

The group changes on occasion. I'll meet a new model who I'd like to work with again and I add her to the list. Sometimes girls move, get married, whatever, and quit modeling. I wish them well.

The problem has existed since modeling agencies and especially internet modeling began. You're not going to change it.
Learn to relax and deal with it with a sense of humor. You'll save yourself a lot of anxiety...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: The serious answer...
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 207.119.69.173

Greetings from Arkansas to Poland. Look in the local phone book or do a google search for modeling schools in your area. If you can find one, go and talk with the teacher and see if you can come to a class and sit in back and listen. You may spend some time, but it could be time well spent in making friends with the people in the class. They may be willing to trade their time with you for pictures or a CD.
Many years ago, I was able to establish a relationship with a modelling school. I went to every show and took pictures and handed them out to the girls. Eventually, they asked me to come and talk to the class about how to pose for a photographer and what they may take to a shoot. I learned a lot about photography, got some great shots to show other potential customers, and built some great friendships. Plus I got to photograph some really pretty girls. Other pretty girls saw those pictures and wanted me to photograph them. I got paid for those jobs, though I did work pretty cheap.
This is what worked for me. Arkie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 12-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

gkulka is offline IP: 83.26.229.40

Quote:
Learn to relax and deal with it with a sense of humor. You'll save yourself a lot of anxiety...
But , the problem is I have to pay for studio, my own is to small and simple, so I waste money and time. Maybe You have some ideas how to make them come on shoot?

Best regards

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gkulka Visit gkulka's homepage! Find More Posts by gkulka

The solution may be elsewhere...
Old 12-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.210.25.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkulka View Post
Maybe You have some ideas how to make them come on shoot?
Nope, I don't know much about Polish girls (Well, maybe a little since I have a Polish heritage), but American girls are pretty independent.

But the key word in your question is how to make them come to a shoot. It can be hard to make models do something they would rather not do.

If you change that to how to entice them to come to a shoot, I think you may be well along to solving your problem.

So take at look at what you expect of them. Are they being rewarded for their efforts? Are the working conditions reasonably comfortable? Are they treated as an important participant in the shoot or just a dumb mannikin that needs to follow orders?

There's a book that's been popular in the USA for many years called "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. One topic of the book is that most people will do what you want them to do if they think it's in their best interest. What you have to figure out is how to make the models believe it's in their best interest to work with you.

Obviously, money is one way to do that. But it may not be an option for you.

So what else is there? Fame, recognition, celebrity, or in many cases notoriety...

Sure, those also work but it could be as simple as having a model's favorite snack or wine available at shoots, or letting her browse the latest fashion magazines between setups, or having her favorite music playing, or..

It doesn't have to be a big thing, sometimes a few smaller things work a lot better. But you have to do the work to find out what those small things that mean something to her are, and arrange to have them.

You have to make sure she knows that you are paying attention to her as a person and depending on her, and not just considering her a prop to photograph.

Get the model to want to shoot with you and I think you'll have a lot less headaches.

But that's just my opinion...

Last edited by Al_Nowak; 12-23-2006 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

gkulka is offline IP: 195.13.38.171

Quote:
It can be hard to make models do something they would rather not do.
I ment that if she says she will come - she will. I know I can't MAKE them come. I call or email day before shoot and zero reaction, no aswer, that is the problem. Anyway thanks for advice

Regards

Greg