Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Off Topic

Off Topic Absolutely no Politics or Religion--talk about anything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I wonder why???
Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 4.229.204.250

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

ok, SInce this is not directly related to photography I am posting this here.

I wonder why someone would take a great photography forum and turn it into what is possibly the worst forum I have seen. This used to be a place where anyone could post an image and get alot of great feedback on it. Where some of what I consider to be the best photographers from around the world would pass on their wisdom to the rest of us. I wonder why someone would make changes that would drive most of them away. I wonder why several months later it is still a mess. I wonder why those people judge their site based on some # of hits vs the actual posts and contributions. I wonder why we always hear that this is gonna be fixed or this is coming soon and yet it never is or does. I wonder why this site has become all show and no go when it comes to functionality and community.

I wonder if this is all just a big advertisements for books, workshops and DVD's and has little to do with photography except as it pertains to one person.

I wonder how long it will take for this site to recover....My guess is never!

I think I have been patient with the changes but I am afraid that I am feeling like that lifetime membership I bought was a waste of money.

I wish you luck RG but I am very disappointed in what was billed as great changes to this site. Garage Glamour rocked....G1...pretty much sucks!

Re: I wonder why???
Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.232.210.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

FWIW -

I won't go so far as to say this is possibly the worst forum I've seen - far from it. Nor do I think it "pretty much sucks."

But it has deteriorated, in my opinion. It started, I think, when the forum was first split into the main forum, a critique forum, etc. But the latest changes - in becoming G1 - have really impacted on the "spirit" of the site. I don't know whether it was any one thing - indeed, part of the problem may simply have been timing - participation DOES drop at the beginning of summer. But it should have recovered and hasn't...at least not to anywhere near "pre-restructuring" levels.

But then again, it's a free-market economy, so to speak. I don't feel that the lifetime membership I bought was a waste. But I do think I'm spending less time here now than a year ago.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

There many reasons we made changes, if you go back to the posts when all the changes were made, you'd see the reasons. I'm not going to rehash the past. Improvement takes time. We still the traffic, but we prefer quality of quantity.

Many forums use this software too. I hope your frustrations will fade as things do get better. Wishing you the best, I'm on the road, so I'm on/off right now. Thanks for your feedback, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 68.154.107.249

When the change first came, I really hated it. Now, as I have gotten used to it, I am beginning to really like it. I like that different areas of photography are being addressed. And I really like the concept of the multiple forums, and while the execution may seem daunting at first, it has some real power to it.

As a guy who is just now getting into PS and digital imaging, having the ability to go back and search through a specific forum for a how-to or tip is easier than in a general forum.

Many of the gripes I have seen have to do with this getting away from being a pure glamour site. I disagree with that. Every really successful business out there has multiple, diverse products while serving its core business, in this case glamour photography.

There have been complaints about ease of posting. Rolando, to his credit, has taken those to heart and is making an effort to address these issues. Change is a constant of any organization. No matter how you slice it, G1 is an organization and we all play a role.

We may not all like the look and feel of the new site, but like all changes, we just need to give it a try. I don't know Rolando well, but I do know he is a pretty sharp guy, and that if this format does not work, he will change it.

For me, I am finding useful new features here every day. You just have to look for them.

Paul Fletcher
Arrow Photography
Cumming, GA
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49690

I_B_Don is offline IP: 69.66.110.127

I will agree that GG was better than G1
  View Public Profile Send a private message to I_B_Don Visit I_B_Don's homepage! Find More Posts by I_B_Don

Old 08-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

If I had bought a lifetime membership to GG, I would ask for a refund.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory
I wonder why someone would take a great photography forum and turn it into what is possibly the worst forum I have seen.
I'm confident that wasn't the intent. Why did mega-corporation, Coca-Cola, once make changes to their household-name product and risk so much? When companies attempt to expand and reach larger groups of consumers, audiences, whatever, sometimes they forget why they became successful enough to consider the expansion in the first place. They put at risk the core-values that made them successful to begin with and, in so doing, sometimes alienate many of their most-loyal devotees.

IMO, the changes that took GG to G1 were mostly about image and perception. If you're going after bigger and bigger sponsors, for instance, some of those sponsors might expect a certain kind of image to be put forth if they're going to get on board. Having the word garage in your company name might not be the image they're looking for--or the company's owners think they're looking for--even if that word aptly describes many of the core values associated with the site and many of its members.

I guess it's all about being perceived as being prestigious and hoping that prestige will take the company and its owners to loftier places. Sometimes things like this end up being at the expense of what took you to the place where you believed you could make the jump to even greater success.

Just my take on it. Not intended as a personal attack on anyone. Sometimes questionable decisions are made for both wrong and right reasons.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.199.39

jimmy there were many reasons, already explained back in March and I have no intentions to rehash--it's done. Perception was only one. Security was another, hence the change from one forum software to another. The Law with 2257, nudity, etc., was another--in fact the main reason "nudes" are viewable by registration only. We're not the only site that practices this.

Thinks are moving forward, positively and in the long run it will be better for the community. In a nutshell, many reasons, not one, thanks for your feedback, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

I don't understand your remark, you have over 500 posts, joined two years ago, and now you post this remark while still posting here?

I just have one question, why didn't you buy a membership before the change?

Regardless, I thank you for your support over the years and wish you the best, rg sends!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Thanks for your positive attitude. We've changed the site many times, including the forum software, since 1999. When we made our last big change in 2002, same thing happened--some people left, some complained, and in the end many came back and those that didn't had done nothing for this place to begin with except cause problems and create issues we don't miss.

As we "grew back" and even bigger, the loyal ones since 1999 enjoyed the "new folks" and the forum took great shape--along with that great shape, came replacements for the problematic ones, with the new change, most are gone, though it's funny, as "admin" I can see who is logging in, where they are on the site, etc., and many who left are actually "lurking" and some are even slowly coming back--it's those we want, those that know we do put the glamour in photography.

Thanks again for all your support and for being a member of this community and family, rg sends!