Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Model Topics

Model Topics For for all general model topics (no model recruitment or contest vote posts allowed)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Going Rate
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57681
Comments: 0

SarahBee is offline IP: 216.132.222.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello Everyone!!

I am a 23 year old woman who has been working part time as promotional model for the last 6 years. I was approached by a company who is looking to do a onetime photo shoot with myself and some of my friends who also have extensive promotional experience. I have done research on the company and feel this is a credible organization and would be happy to work with them.

It will be a paid shoot, but I've never done anything like this before and I don't know what is a fair price....do things like this usually pay hourly or is there a flat rate charge, and is it customary to negotiate on price? Do people usually charge more depending on the type of clothing they are asked to wear (i.e. bathing suits will be an extra charge as opposed to pants and a top) Is it fair for me to request that I receive copies of the photos for my own portfolio? Do I need write up a contract and get it signed before doing anything?? And what kinds of things are necessary to have in a contract?

I realize the question of "going rate" in this industry is a difficult one, but any advice or your own personal past experiences would be super helpful.

Thanks for any insight /advice anyone can provide in advance!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SarahBee Find More Posts by SarahBee

Re: Going Rate
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The real question is what will they be using the pictures for? If they will be used for advertising locally it is one thing, for national ads and an "open release" or the ability to use the pictures for whatever they want you should get a much higher fee. In addition many do get higher rates for the less clothes they have on. The company should have you sign a model release, read it carefully this is the agreement which will spell out how the pictures can be used. Read it before you do the shoot. If you are not comfortable with the "deal" leave. Learn as much as you can about the types of photos to be shot and how they will be used in advance that will determine the amount to charge.

Good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Adding to Steve's response....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005380511,00.html

Mandy Coulton, 26, was paid $1500 for the iPod commercial, and her silhouette is known everywhere.

Just food for thought. There are no easy or proper answers, unfortunately. Good luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.227.80

Tear sheet for Apple opens a few more doors I would think!

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
Tear sheet for Apple opens a few more doors I would think!
If they're looking for a dancer in silhouette mode, then sure. Otherwise, you'd never recognize her, so I am not so sure. From the article, she didn't appear to be Living the life of Riley.

But if her image helped sell Billions (capital B) worth of iPods, you'd think she'd be worth more than a measely $1500? And if her next gig is going to sell only a $100 million worth of widgets, what price should she command? Or should she count on the tear sheet and more doors being opened in the future?

It's a tough business. I think the Apple example, which is all about cool and stuff, shows just how tough it can be. Intuitively, I would have thought Apple--with its good karma and cool advertisements--would have ensured that she was properly rewarded.

Just one person's thoughts....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Hi Stecyk,

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it. I've been finding that most people agree it's a pretty vague and open question....I guess i'll need to do some negotiating and see where that gets me.

Thanks again!

Sarah
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SarahBee Find More Posts by SarahBee

Old 02-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Hi Steve,

Yes, I never thought of this and it's really important. I am going to make sure I take this into account when I discuss this with the company. I think it'll be a great negotiating point to make!

Take Care!

Sarah

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Hi LSC1,

Yes I think this is a really common dilemma: when is the exposure worth more then the pay?! I am going to take this into account when I have my discussion with this company.

Thanks!

Sarah

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.227.80

Stecyk,

Perhaps my comment came off a little callous which is not my intent. I appreciate your comments. I guess I got the feeling from reading the article that it was a very big casting call and she was one of ten people chosen for silhouettes. I guess my thoughts were that she was a pretty unknown model (very big open casting call) and she got a paid gig with Apple to put on her resume. She certainly didn't make very much money but at the time she thought it was a nice paycheck. Now she can leverage that paid assignment from Apple into other work through aggressive marketing. As has been written here and elsewhere before, it's not always the most talented photographers and models who make the most money, it's the ones that know how to market themselves the best. One of the hardest things in marketing is getting in the door to be considered and I personally feel the Apple gig gives her a door opener she never had before. Anyway, my apologies for sounding uncaring and back to the OP's request.

Sarah, you sound like an intelligent person, just keep in mind it has to benefit both parties and consider all the opportunities and you'll do great. Do let us know how it comes out.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
Stecyk,

Perhaps my comment came off a little callous which is not my intent. I appreciate your comments. I guess I got the feeling from reading the article that it was a very big casting call and she was one of ten people chosen for silhouettes. I guess my thoughts were that she was a pretty unknown model (very big open casting call) and she got a paid gig with Apple to put on her resume. She certainly didn't make very much money but at the time she thought it was a nice paycheck. Now she can leverage that paid assignment from Apple into other work through aggressive marketing. As has been written here and elsewhere before, it's not always the most talented photographers and models who make the most money, it's the ones that know how to market themselves the best. One of the hardest things in marketing is getting in the door to be considered and I personally feel the Apple gig gives her a door opener she never had before. Anyway, my apologies for sounding uncaring and back to the OP's request.
HI,

No apologies required. I think it introduced a good discussion.

Yes, I am sure Mandy was part of a cattle call and was able to get the job. But if I had been a head honcho at Apple, after the mighty successful campaign, I would have added to her renumeration. And I would make sure she had a few iPods. I would NOT want an article coming out that mentioned how little Apple paid her.

Switching away from Mandy Coulton, many models' rates have come down. On G1, I've linked to a couple/few WSJ articles regarding modeling fees. It's a difficult business.

For Sarah, it's a tough call. She's probably just starting out, so she wants the exposure. Yet she wants to be treated fairly. So how does she determine her value? I don't have an answer. It's truly a free and competitive market and her value will be whatever she can negotiate.

Good luck Sarah and I hope it goes extremely well.

Regards,
Kevin