Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Model Topics

Model Topics For for all general model topics (no model recruitment or contest vote posts allowed)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Am I making too big a deal of a model's repeated cancellation
Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 69.30.154.251

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Colleagues:

I need a reality check so any comments will be appreciated. On another site (not ***), I had a model link to my profile. When that happens, I ask the model if she is interested in working together doing the type of figure work I do. She indicated she was and in fact hoped I would ask so I inquired about her references and compensation expectations. She gave me several references and indicated she did not need to be paid - that she simply wanted to work together so a TFCD was fine with her. As she is a very attractive young woman I agreed and began checking her references. As they all checked out more or less fine, we set up a shoot. For that shoot ahead of time she cancelled because of what was apparently an unexpected kid commitment - something I know well so I arranged a second shoot date. Now, please note that I am not photographer who makes his living off photography plus I have family commitments, need babysitters etc on those rare occasions when I get to shoot. As such, setting up a shoot entails far more than simply turning the lights on in my studio. Well in advance of the second shoot date, she cancelled again - this time because she got a better offer. She is doing a paid shoot out of state with an apparently well known photog who can only work the weekend we were scheduled so she politely (she apologized) blew me off for a better offer. She did not say anything about rescheduling again so I let the matter drop. In fact I was so ticked, I did not even respond to her e-mail. While I realize it was "only" a TFCD shoot, we still had an agreement. I also realize that for an aspiring model paid shoots are better than TFCD but I frankly don't care. My questions are - am I overreacting and because I donít find many models around here who want to do figure work plus have reasonable compensation expectations should I suck it up and put up with this?

regards

mark sharfman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Re: Am I making too big a deal of a model's repeated cancellation
Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.27.66.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharfman View Post
Colleagues:

I need a reality check so any comments will be appreciated. On another site (not ***), I had a model link to my profile. When that happens, I ask the model if she is interested in working together doing the type of figure work I do. She indicated she was and in fact hoped I would ask so I inquired about her references and compensation expectations. She gave me several references and indicated she did not need to be paid - that she simply wanted to work together so a TFCD was fine with her. As she is a very attractive young woman I agreed and began checking her references. As they all checked out more or less fine, we set up a shoot. For that shoot ahead of time she cancelled because of what was apparently an unexpected kid commitment - something I know well so I arranged a second shoot date. Now, please note that I am not photographer who makes his living off photography plus I have family commitments, need babysitters etc on those rare occasions when I get to shoot. As such, setting up a shoot entails far more than simply turning the lights on in my studio. Well in advance of the second shoot date, she cancelled again - this time because she got a better offer. She is doing a paid shoot out of state with an apparently well known photog who can only work the weekend we were scheduled so she politely (she apologized) blew me off for a better offer. She did not say anything about rescheduling again so I let the matter drop. In fact I was so ticked, I did not even respond to her e-mail. While I realize it was "only" a TFCD shoot, we still had an agreement. I also realize that for an aspiring model paid shoots are better than TFCD but I frankly don't care. My questions are - am I overreacting and because I donít find many models around here who want to do figure work plus have reasonable compensation expectations should I suck it up and put up with this?

regards

mark sharfman
Remember- Cash will always be king.
TFCD arrangements either way will always be an expense.
Unless you are in demand, don't expect your time to be taken seriously
by anyone other than you.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharfman View Post
Colleagues:

I need a reality check ... I ask the model if she is interested in working together ... She indicated she was ... we set up a shoot. ...she cancelled because of what was apparently an unexpected kid commitment ...a second shoot date. ...she cancelled again - this time because she got a better offer. ...am I overreacting and because I donít find many models around here who want to do figure work plus have reasonable compensation expectations should I suck it up and put up with this?

With deference to the wisdom of our esteemed colleague in the Bayou City, cash is only king for someone whose main interest is cash. There are other folks out there who value their reputation and when they make a committment, it stands.

So, no.. I don't think you're overreacting to this situation - she's blown you off twice, what makes you think you could trust her to honor her committment to you a third time?

Besides, again with deference to GG's ... err... G1's own Yoda-thinkalike, ask around and you'll find plenty of folks (me included, truth be known) that have been blown off when we were expecting a model to show up for a paid shoot. It ain't the money, Mark..

rwd

Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd View Post
With deference to the wisdom of our esteemed colleague in the Bayou City, cash is only king for someone whose main interest is cash. There are other folks out there who value their reputation and when they make a committment, it stands.

So, no.. I don't think you're overreacting to this situation - she's blown you off twice, what makes you think you could trust her to honor her committment to you a third time?

Besides, again with deference to GG's ... err... G1's own Yoda-thinkalike, ask around and you'll find plenty of folks (me included, truth be known) that have been blown off when we were expecting a model to show up for a paid shoot. It ain't the money, Mark..

rwd
Thanks for the comments. Clearly your reaction is consistent with mine. While Greg is right, I do not have time to mess with models like this. Unfortunately, I have had a run of dealing with flakey models who cancel, don't show don't return e-mails anywhere near promptly etc. Do note that I have been blown off by "professional" models on paid shoots as well.

regards

mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 10-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 60.224.6.218

I don't think you are over-reacting, but I do think this rates somewhat lower on the scale of things to be ticked-off over.

Highest on my list is unexplained no-show - you wait for someone who doesn't show, doesn't call, doesn't e-mail, and doesn't answer the phone - that's the worst and least forgivable.

Next on the list is the last-minute cancellation - flat tyre, a sudden bout of bubonic plague, whatever - sure, it might be real, or it might be that she just doesn't feel like getting out of bed. Had one recently where the model had decided to stop modelling, but her reason was a good one (I won't repeat it, because it was personal), and I felt compelled to forgive her (it helped that my first call to a replacement model was successful, and I got some great shots from the replacement shoot ).

Next on the list is the flurry of last minute changes - she wants to shoot 20 minutes later, she'll be another 10 minutes, she shows up half an hour later than that. Hmm, this might almost rate number 2 on the list.

So I'd say that being contacted well in advance to cancel or postpone is probably fourth (maybe even fifth) down the list, and I'd be less annoyed about that - still gives me time to find a replacement model.

I have had all of these in the last six monthes, and this is the order of diminishing ticked-off-ness for me.

I don't know if that helps, but maybe it does?
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 10-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

I think its just a fact of life in the modeling business and in the current world we live in. Many younger people (which most model's fit into) do not have the same work ethic that was the norm in "our" generation where one's word was one's bond. Now people think nothing of canceling out for the most trivial of reasons. We've all had it happen. It does seem to run in cycles, however. I've had the good and the bad and really the bad makes the good that much better.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-30-2006, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"Am I making too big a deal of a model's repeated cancellation"

Yes, IMO.

You indicated that the first time was understandable to you, so it's the fact that she cancelled with you to work with another photographer that gets to you. It would to me as well, I suspect.

However, as Roger said, her work ethic is not yours. Ultimately, you should base your decision on how much you want her image in your portfolio - if you want it enough to cover the expenses again, then do it. If not, don't. Don't take her cancellations personally.

It's OK, Mark. We still love you.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkdavis View Post
Remember- Cash will always be king.
TFCD arrangements either way will always be an expense.
Unless you are in demand, don't expect your time to be taken seriously
by anyone other than you.
Well said. That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic View Post
I don't think you are over-reacting, but I do think this rates somewhat lower on the scale of things to be ticked-off over.

Highest on my list is unexplained no-show - you wait for someone who doesn't show, doesn't call, doesn't e-mail, and doesn't answer the phone - that's the worst and least forgivable.

Next on the list is the last-minute cancellation - flat tyre, a sudden bout of bubonic plague, whatever - sure, it might be real, or it might be that she just doesn't feel like getting out of bed. Had one recently where the model had decided to stop modelling, but her reason was a good one (I won't repeat it, because it was personal), and I felt compelled to forgive her (it helped that my first call to a replacement model was successful, and I got some great shots from the replacement shoot ).

Next on the list is the flurry of last minute changes - she wants to shoot 20 minutes later, she'll be another 10 minutes, she shows up half an hour later than that. Hmm, this might almost rate number 2 on the list.

So I'd say that being contacted well in advance to cancel or postpone is probably fourth (maybe even fifth) down the list, and I'd be less annoyed about that - still gives me time to find a replacement model.

I have had all of these in the last six monthes, and this is the order of diminishing ticked-off-ness for me.

I don't know if that helps, but maybe it does?
I agree that this is not the worst experience I have had with a model either - thanks for the comments.

regards

mark

Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I think its just a fact of life in the modeling business and in the current world we live in. Many younger people (which most model's fit into) do not have the same work ethic that was the norm in "our" generation where one's word was one's bond. Now people think nothing of canceling out for the most trivial of reasons. We've all had it happen. It does seem to run in cycles, however. I've had the good and the bad and really the bad makes the good that much better.
Cheers,
rfs
Points well taken - when you add in the idea that many (some) models have a touch of the narcissist in them and as such are rather self-absorbed, it is even more annoying. What makes this worse is that my muse (Shiela) is moving to Atlanta so that wonderful working relationship is going away. I have a bad run of late with even professional models flaiking out on me - very frustrating. Thanks for the comments.