Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
On the Street approaches...works?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 50.98.26.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just out of curiousity, have any of the GG people tried a 'on the street' approach? You hand out a card stating that you are interested in photographing the subject for 'xyz' reason, etc.

Anything good come from this?

Re: On the Street approaches...works?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nearly a hundred viewings of this topic and no responses? Does this mean that no one has tried this?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641
Comments: 0

DanNV is offline IP: 134.197.0.21

I expect that's what it means. My guess is everyone was hoping htere'd be something here giving them ideas of how to make it work.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.34.163.36

I've never tried it. I've almost done it lots of times, but always felt like a skeez. I just think intentions can be misinterpreted in a situation like that. Online and agencies are probably the way to go. For me at least.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50522

randy1 is offline IP: 69.130.25.84

I think that too many perv's with cameras have pretty much shut that approach down and I a'int talkin about the guys & girls on this site, I hope !
  View Public Profile Send a private message to randy1 Find More Posts by randy1

Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

This is what I was not hoping for. It looks like this type of approach is just too creepy even if the intention was not. So I guess either no one has tried this at all or has not had any results worth posting? Oh well.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 173.202.90.128

I used to go to a modeling school and put on a one hour program of slides and talk about how to work with a photographer. I usually got a few responses on that and it was usually with me charging them a nominal fee (to cover costs) for the first session. Sometimes, if I had a special project or idea, I would call them and trade photos for time.
If you had a website or blog or even facebook page, you could probably hand a young lady a business card with the web address on it and suggest she take a look at your work and if she was interested, to give you a call. That would be less threatening to them and let them make the decision on their time and move at their pace. With all of the negative press given to male photographers over the years, it isn't easy to just walk up to a stranger and talk to them about posing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

You would think, that with the anonymity of the Internet and the lack of pressure for the subject to *have* to view a portfolio book/prints then and there, this type of approach would be a good idea. After all, the subject is under no obligation to view your work and, if they do do this, they don't have to pursue it any further if they don't want to. I guess it really depends on the approach.

If you fall all over yourself or stand there with your tongue hanging out you are just as likely to get a punch in the face than to get a positive experience or interest shown. But then you run into the old 'how do you take the first step' scenerio. Hell, it's just like Junior High all over again...you see the pretty girl and you get frozen in place because you are just too nervous to move forward.

I guess the only way to find out if this is a workable solution is to...try it. Well, I first need to get a 'bang on' website/page/blog happening...then get classy business cards done...and THEN start the approach...all the while hoping that my open personality and maturity will work in my favour....or your favour if you so decide to give this a try.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 98.117.203.118

Here's my approach:

“I’d like to give you my business card. I couldn’t help noticing your unique look, and I would love to have the honor to photograph you sometime, if you’re interested, and at no charge to you. My information is on my card. If you decide to follow up, just remind me where we had met. If not, that’s ok too. Feel free to look over my work on the website listed.”

or

“I am an aspiring photographer currently building my portfolio, and I would be honored to include your unique look. Obviously there’s no charge, and I would be happy to give you some images in exchange for your time. Here is my contact information should you be interested. Just remind me where we had met. I hope to hear from you.”
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

DaveB...while I agree with the vast majority of what you suggest I do have an issue with using the word "honor" or "honored"...at least in this circumstance. To me this would sound too 'needy' or 'subservient' on an initial encounter. We should not have to feel like we are bowing down even if it were the Queen of England herself that we are approaching (Well, maybe we should in this circumstance. ). There must be some other wording we could use to effectively say, "There is something about you that caught my interest as a Photographer, perhaps your face, your hair or the way you carry yourself?"...in not so many words?