Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Decided to drop my two OMP portfolios...
Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.144.65

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I could say that it was a financial decision but more so it was that I just was losing interest there. I had gone on last night to see who was viewing my portfolios and there just wasn't a hell of a lot of action happening. One model had looked some months back so I figured I'd go and see what images she had put up. Well I got an email from her asking for my opinion of her work. I guess she had also checked her portfolio and seen that I had just lately looked into hers.

So the last person showing interest in working with her posted this almost a year ago. Not a lot of action, eh? Whoever had done the majority of the images she has obviously knew little about lighting (most were outdoors and deep shadows in her eyes), posing (more Hustler than Playboy) and had 'plasticized' her face WAY too much. The kicker to this? She's looking for Paid Only work and deems her status as Professional Experienced. !!! Really???

So she's asked for my comments and she'd better have thick skin as I'll have some very 'pointed' words to say.

Now Model Mayhem may not be any better but I've heard that the quality of models there is better. Let's see if this is so.

I'm at that point where I think I'll restrict my shooting by hiring and paying for REAL professionals.

Ahhhh, maybe I'm just tired...I sound miserable. But I can think of better things to do with my money and my time. Thankfully tomorrow is Friday and I'll have the weekend to relax. Maybe I'll go out and shoot some pretty flowers instead. At least they don't do 'no shows' or think so very highly of themselves.

(grumble, grumble...)

Re: Decided to drop my two OMP portfolios...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 66606
Comments: 0

Giselle is offline IP: 66.148.113.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
I'm at that point where I think I'll restrict my shooting by hiring and paying for REAL professionals.
That is such a rational idea, I came to this decision too recently. A miser pays twice as they say

watch live tv online
watch tv
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Giselle Find More Posts by Giselle

Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.63.140

I sympathize with your frustration. I think JimmyD's latest essay is relevant to this, too.

I wonder whether this is a general phenomenon on the web, though. Many of the forums-photographic and not-seem to have followed a cycle of growth, intense activity, then decline to little or no activity. Only some of the computer-oriented forums seem immune.

But flowers are good, too.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63576

ericski is offline IP: 206.207.77.30

Unfortunately, I think you will find a similar experience with Model Mayhem models. Around my town, it seems that after a model has done shoots with 3 different photographers, they're suddenly "very experienced" and want to get paid. Even if they've no-showed on a couple of other photogs.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ericski Find More Posts by ericski

Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Model mayhem, in a word, sucks. The models, for the most part, are the online divas pretending to be models. You hear on the forums there about all the no call/no show or the called and did not show, etc etc etc
I say let the amateurs have the online model wanna be's and just hire real models from a real agency.
The forum is a great place to watch the morons try to preach their brand of stupidity while a true pro tries to help. And the moron usually wins with the support of the site guardians. The pros who try to help and give great advice, usually give up and just go take great pics while the pinheads rule the forums.
The site guardians leave something to be desired as well.
All in all, model mayhem blows.(in the "not fun" way)

I watched while they jumped all over JIMMY D, and even Rolando.
It's like the site does not in any way want anyone who knows what they are doing, being a part of the site. It's sad and idiotic.

I stopped going there and don't regret it a bit!

Russ
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 184.41.18.227

Unlike Russ, I've had pretty good luck with ModelMayhem. OMP I haven't used much, but OMP's layout just seems way too cluttered and clunky, so I've used MM more overall anyway... But anyways, you can usually tell who will be a flake and who won't. For one thing, I don't work with completely inexperienced models, which helps with that some. And if they have a professional looking portfolio, the model is probably more professional overall, and less likely to flake.

And yeah, agencies are a good place to look, too, of course.

As for the forums on MM, I stay away from them.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner View Post
===========The kicker to this? She's looking for Paid Only work and deems her status as Professional Experienced. !!! Really???

============

Now Model Mayhem may not be any better but I've heard that the quality of models there is better. Let's see if this is so.

==========
It is about the same, on Model Mayhem. At least that has been my experience. Of course it depends on the type of model. They all seem to think they can ask for top professional model fees if they will pose nude, no matter how good a model they are. Many of the others are mostly looking for free images for personal use. There are exceptions, naturally, and it depends on where you are located. I hate to sound negative, just don't get your hopes up.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 173.170.231.246

Mr. Weiner, you made the right decision in dropping OMP. That site is not at all well thought of in the industry and books could be written (and maybe have) about all the problems they have.

The last straw for me was when I tried for two weeks to access the Premium account I had paid for and I kept getting messages that "We are temporarily down for technical difficulties, please bear with us". My emails to Brent the Owner/Admin at OMP got just as lame of a response and that was it for me.

As has been said many times before the entire photography is hurting and is in decline at one stage or another and it will be interesting to see waht is left after it all shakes out.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64134
Comments: 3

briankdonnelly is offline IP: 96.255.138.57

I considered using OMP, but have done ok with MM and one of them is enough. I use MM as a resource for my self-training - I need people to stand under the lights while I adjust, shoot, ponder, adjust, and shoot some more. Since it's not a money-making prospect, I don't pay the models, and they don't pay me - it's just TF. Of course, I get what I pay for - an annoying frequency of flakes, prima donas, and train wrecks. But more often than not I get to work with some nice folks who are conscientious and trying hard. If I were paying models, I would expect way more, and I'm not sure I'd find that at MM. For practice, it works out ok.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to briankdonnelly Find More Posts by briankdonnelly

Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.184.38.228

Like many of you, I too have decided to not renew my OMP membership. And like many of you, I too am concerned that the photography business, as many of us knew it, is undergoing a dramatic changes that will soon force all but the top photographers out of business ... and leave us remaining photographer to fight over what little paying jobs are out there ... jobs not taken away by soccer moms, executive secretaries and all the GWC's armed with the newest gazillion megapixel point-n-shoots.

I don't mean to sound braggadocious, but finding good models to shoot with has NEVER been a problem for me. I find them mostly through social media (mostly FaceBook today and MySpace before it imploded) ... and I have reached critical mass in that I get a lot of referrals from models I've shot with. In the past 2 years, I've gotten nothing from OMP (except the traveling strippers looking for paid jobs) ... and I've gotten a handful of "requests-to-shoot" from Model Mayhem girls who all thing that cellphone pix or GWC shoots make them a professional (paid) model.

I still magaged to get paid by over half the models who shoot with me ... but it's nothing I could ever live on ... and as the economy continues to tank, the number of models who are willing to pay, and the amount they're willing to pay is slowly tanking too.

When all the social websites collapse under their own girth ... maybe we'll all go back to actually being "social" ... and talking to each other.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart