Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Error message on uploading image...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.150.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

"Sorry, RHWeiner: Bad Type - File is of the Wrong MIME Type"

Huh? The image is a jpg and I believe is within the pixel dimension limits. What's this about a MIME type?

Richard W.

Re: Error message on uploading image...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.146.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Richard,

We've only had one other person with this problem. What we found out MIME type is on your end, not ours. Do a google and research MIME type. This used to be a very common problem, in the old days, with AOL, but it's gone beyond that. It's on your end, something you changed, did on your computer or your provider. Nothing we can do on this end. Thanks, rg.
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Okay I'll check it out. I'm doing this on a 'newer' computer with Win 7 and I think that MS hasn't really been on top of things. I've got issues with external drives and thumbdrives that access the computer via USB. Basically they aren't being recognized. They do work on the old computer with XP! Weird.

And, of course, Win 8 will be in the wings soon enough....probably with more Window Dressing and Bells/Whistles but no better stability! Frig...gimmee DOS again.

(a bit later)...
Well that was useless...sure there's lots about MIME type via Google but a quick glance didn't show anything that looks like the problem here.

Just for your information there's another thread here about someone not being able to upload but there's a workaround and I used it to upload an image in the Nude section. So I'm not so sure it's not on your side. I'll see if I can find the thread.

...found it...
It's from mfharper in the "I'm not on a rant" thread in the Main Community...

there are actually two portfolio systems on this site, but one appears to be broke for most people. The only way I can currently get images to post is on my profile. First make sure your images are 600 pixels on the long side. Go to your profile, on the right side of the page click on show all albums, click on add album, name it something, then click okay.

I did as suggested and circumvented trying to upload via my photos area.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.146.130

I just updated my Mac so it will run the latest programs, works like a champion, plug and play...once you go mac, you never go back, besides, macs are made for photographers
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

This may be true about Macs and Photogs but I am also a Drafter so I have AutoCAD and Inventor loaded on this computer. I believe that AutoDesk has finally made AutoCAD for Mac but I know nothing of it and I'm not about to try to switch over for that. I'm pretty sure that Inventor isn't Mac either.

Besides which I've got many programs I use...all Windows O/S based. A suggestion to migrate would be similar to saying "Change from Canon to Nikon"...too expensive to consider and too much of a headache, too.

Anyway, like I said earlier, there's a workaround as noted by mfharper...and it works.
So you may still want to check the coding in the program. Why does the front door not work but the back one does?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35352
Comments: 0
My Mood:

johnw is offline IP: 65.13.24.8

I'm getting the same message and I have not changed any setting or the way I upload images. Not until recently have I had this problem with GG, Have no problem uploading images to any other site. I'm on a mac and have been for the past 7 Years.

Message I get

Bad Type - File is of the Wrong MIME Type
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johnw Find More Posts by johnw

Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 173.170.231.246

MIME handshakes with SMTP which is the backbone of Internet mail applications. The SMTP standard is tightly controlled but MIME is not and can vary widely between applications. Even different ISP's can be running different MIME versions. This is probably why certain members encounter problems in uploading images to the GG Forums.

For me, even though it involves a few extra steps I always upload my images to my Member Talent Portfolio here on GG and then post then to the Forums for viewing and I have never encountered a problem.

Hope this helps.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35352
Comments: 0
My Mood:

johnw is offline IP: 65.13.24.8

I'm trying to upload to my members portfolio but will not let me! As I indicated had no problem in the past.

I get the message of wrong MIME type when trying to upload to my Members portfolio.

This site is the only one where I have problems uploading images.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johnw Find More Posts by johnw