Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I am not on a rant, honest.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I only want to make a comment or two and maybe an observation or two.

Lately there have been some very old posts revived, and I expressed my thoughts about it on those posts. At least one person has expressed an opinion that this might revive the forum, and create new interest.

That reasoning is obviously because there have also been posts about the lack of participation on the forum lately.

With no disrespect intended to anyone let me say that reviving 3 and 5 year old posts will not add any excitement or bring life to the forum. In my opinion it will have the opposite effect.

As for me personally, I come to see new work, new techniques and try to learn new ideas about the fast changing world of photography.

With that said, I do not have time to start clicking on posts in the critique section, or any other section, only to realize it is 5 years old, and the the person who made the original post has not been active for 2 years.

I do not want to come across as a crabby old man, but when I click on those old posts it does me no good, and I feel I am just wasting time.

Honestly I am not trying to start a fuss, or be a crabby old guy. I just do not believe this is the way to bring life to the forum.

There are far more better ways to kick start the forum. Whether those will come about is something to be determined, I guess.

.....edit... You will find my post if you go down past the 16 "stickys" that are on this one page alone.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE
Last edited by BenE; 01-19-2011 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: added thought.

Re: I am not on a rant, honest.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I hear ya BenE. I revived a post because I figured it was worth reviving.

And you thinking it isnt, is ok by me I won't hate ya for having a difference of opinion :P

To revive a forum though,,, eeesh, that's a tough nut to crack.
In order to do so we'd need new blood and topics that would attract new blood and their opinions.

Right now there seems to be alot of lurkers.
Not many talkers.
But, be that as it may Let's, as many of us as possible, have fun with what we got, while we have it.

If only a few of us post, so be it!
We'll post the hell outta this place!
We'll start new topics, revive a few old, etc etc etc.
And maybe, along the way, attract some more people to start talking for the sake of, learning, teaching, talking.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 69.171.161.221

Lack of participation?? Where? here?...

I think that there are a number of reasons or the lack of participation on GG.

Now I must first state that this has always been a home for many of us old timers. And without the old timers, there wouldnt be any newbies.

I am sure that most of us can enumerate many of the reasons that this site and the forum has declined in the active users. I am not here to complain, or to criticize. I am not even going to point fingers.

I just wish that this site and forum would finally get back to being the powerhouse it used to be.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 173.170.231.246

Ben,

I don't think anyone here would take offense at what you have written because I think we all have felt the same way. A year ago I tried to inject some life into these Forums by asking the members to post images and let us know how they made the images and what (if anything) they did in post-production to get the final image and my idea and effort went absolutely nowhere.

These are different and difficult times we live in. Good Photographers are dropping like flies due to the economy and also to the "Digital Debbie" scourge and it isn't looking to improve. I spoke recently with a friend here where I live about teaming up and collaborating on a few joint ventures this year and he told me he would like nothing better but the work simply isn't there. He also shared with me that he hasn't turned a profit in the past several years but he doesn't fear having to close because everything is bought and paid for plus he has a great retirement income. Not every Photographer is that fortunate.

Garage Glamour does not aim to be the most popular site on the Internet so we don't get the run of the mill photographers here. On the bright side we don't have all the flame wars and trash that infests certain other sites either.

This is a different time than it was a couple of years ago and things do change and sometimes not for what we think is the better but they do change. Even Rolando is feeling the changes as evidenced by his cutting back his workshops. For me, I haven't done a shoot in probably 5 months due to a recent marriage and other things. Some of the real heavy hitters of the past are gone also. I see some new faces and also some familiar ones as well so we are definitely still here just in a different form. To the new faces and especially the ones who are doing all the jumping up and down and screaming and yelling I say thank you and please continue.

Please keep doing what you are doing and contribute here in anyway you can. The only thing in life that is constant is change, it's how you handle the changes that counts.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 01-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: SP

Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.129.100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post

I do not want to come across as a crabby old man, but when I click on those old posts it does me no good, and I feel I am just wasting time.
Honestly, how much time does it take to click on it say "seen it" then hit the back button? Your not still on dial up are you? I agree that some of these old topic hold no interest for me. I ignored them 5 years ago too. But some of them are interesting and I'm interested in what the new blood around here has to say about it. You say that "clicking on those old posts does you no good" "well I feel that the community of this forum is about far more then you or me, we should be worried about what is good for the community. I believe that much of the old content on this site would do wonders for some of the beginners, and quit honestly I'm sure that I have not explored all of it myself and I can still stand to learn a thing or two.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Ben,
These are different and difficult times we live in. Good Photographers are dropping like flies due to the economy .
How Bad Is The Economy?
The economy is so bad that...

Wives are having sex with their husbands again, because they can't afford batteries anymore.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 96.49.129.155

At a General meeting of the strata owners there was one owner who basically took over the meeting to complain (actually bitch) about a particular thing. Then over the next few weeks she sent out letters to all the owners with a continuation of her theme. At some point my wife turned to me and said, "She should have offered a solution instead of bitching about how it wasn't working".

So to the young guys I say, yes do shake us from our complacency but offer viable solutions that may revive this site instead of complaining. Believe what others have said, this malaise is not just here at GG but throughout the WWW.

The Internet is still young but it matured quite rapidly and so there's a glut of 'how do I do this' and 'attaboy' sites out there...after a while too many to keep focused on. If GG is not for you, so be it. Hopefully there's enough here to keep you coming back.

Also something to consider is that the complainers I've been seeing are all Free Members. Put your money where it will show your interest in maintaining the site...buy the Paid Membership. Remember it's for Life! So the initial cost is minimal considering what you can get for the next 20, 30 years...or more.

As to dragging up the old threads, yes sometimes it can encourage an exchange of opinions or bring new answers but most often these are dead in the water and really should be archived/locked for reference only.

Anyway the life of a site will depend on the Newbies making the committment of being the Future Old Timers. So bring it on, keep it topical and current. Things may yet turn around but there's no guarantees.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

I waned to point out, that had the old threads not been brought back... this post wouldnt have been posted annnnd it wouldnt be getting so much action now would it?

It's working! BRING BACK MORE OLD ONES, and they will come!!
HEH!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65805

geredd60 is offline IP: 99.224.119.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTA_NEWBIE View Post
I waned to point out, that had the old threads not been brought back... this post wouldnt have been posted annnnd it wouldnt be getting so much action now would it?

It's working! BRING BACK MORE OLD ONES, and they will come!!
HEH!

I was going to ignore this thread as altough reviving 5 year old posts sort of annoyed me I was overall ambilavent. But I think your last comment highlights was bothers about many that are complaning these days. As I've said before I am a lurker and until I have something to post, I read posts and try to get what I can from them. But there is nothing topical that I can get out of this thread. You may have gotten many replies but have any of them helped you learn one photographic related technique? More specifically glamour related phortographic technique.

It seems some new users want this to be the end all be all of photo critiques and learning. This is but one of many sights and many are much more appropriate for many of the postings I've seen lately. When I come to GG it is to browse threads related to Glamour, same as when I visit ProGlamour (THanks Dean!). When I visit DPS (digitalphotographyschool) it is to read articles and forum on more mainstream photography topics. Then I might visit a couple of blogs or online magazines. GG is a great place, it seems that I may have missed the good old days but I am still appreciative for what it is. I am thankful to have a site run by RG as I've read many of his books and I think he has a lot to share and if I get to hear from him once every couple of weeks then I will take it without complaining that it's not enough.

Thank you RG, Thank you "Old Timers", and f*** the rest
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geredd60 Find More Posts by geredd60

Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geredd60 View Post
You may have gotten many replies but have any of them helped you learn one photographic related technique? More specifically glamour related phortographic technique.

Thank you RG, Thank you "Old Timers", and f*** the rest
I think
FIRST we have to get people used to the idea of posting. ( even if it isnt a post that is the end all answer to life itself)

Secondly Once some people are posting regularly, it will draw people to post, even if they are just lurkers and only post when they have something to say.

Third F*** you too.

Fourth No body has to post anything. We want to get people to post and get involved because they want to. ( Hopefully it wont all be negative posts expressing how they want to be lurkers and **** like that. BUT even if it is, it got them involved too.)
It's really easy to sit back and be nobody. to just lurk in the shadows etc etc etc.

Keep smiling