Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
External Drives...given a choice...?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.150.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This probably is better suited for the Technical Forum but my question is more a 'perception' thing than a technical matter.'

Okay, so external drives really come in 2 flavors...either powered via the USB connection or powered by a power pack from the electrical outlet. Now I will also make some assumptions...

1) USB powered: Drives are smaller laptop sized and run at 5400rpm.
2) Power Packed: Drives are larger desktop sized and run at 7200rpm.

Connection in both cases tends to be USB (unless it's Firewire) so there's a throttling there either way.

Major benefit of the USB powered drives is that you move away from having an Octopus of power cords at the wall. I already have 2 desktops, 2 monitors, a printer, a scanner, powered speakers, modem, and stereo system...plus 2 power packed externals all running from 2 outlets. I'm sure I'm reaching the limit of the power drain.

One of the externals is always on (as long as the computer is on) and the only way to disable this is to remove the power cord to it. (stupid design I think). The other (which is currently having issues being recognized by the computer) has a power switch on the back side.

So, while I do have the 2 externals (first one is 1TB, the second is 500GB) I'm not happy with them but I'll keep them for now.

What I am considering on doing is to go with the smaller USB powered units in replacement as backups for the following reasons...

1)USB powered
2)Physical size
3)Portability

Those are positive reasons I would believe to sway staying away from Power Packed units. But are there any negative reasons? Are there any overpowering reasons to stick to power packed units instead?

Thanks...Richard

Re: External Drives...given a choice...?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 173.170.231.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Richard,

I have a power packed unit which I made from a hard drive I removed from a desktop computer when I upgraded the drive. I bought an enclosure that has a power switch, installed the drive in the enclosure, hooked it up to my computer via a USB 2.0 port, formatted the drive in Computer Management and have been living happily ever after.

One reason I would suggest for you staying with power pack units is that they are actually faster and more reliable. If you have even one USB 1.0 device on the buss it slows everything else on the buss down to USB 1.0 speeds. Also, the power to the drive is more consistent with a power pack. You say you are having trouble with a power pack unit. Could the power switch be failing?

FireWire is going to be hard to find unless you have an Apple computer (FireWire is an Apple protocol) or you buy a FireWire card and install it into your computer and in the real world you won't see much of a difference in read/write speeds. Plus, when the USB 3.0 protocol is released unless Apple has something on the back burner it will bury FireWire.

One suggestion I will make if you are concerned about clutter and want portability is for you to get a removable hard drive that fits in a drive bay in the front panel of your computer. The drive hard wires into the SATA or EIDE buss and is powered by the computer power supply.

I hope this helps but if you have other questions feel free to ask. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36333
Comments: 0

gr8shotz00 is offline IP: 67.177.6.49

I am an IT guy and take care of many Doctor, Dentist, CPA's. The ones that use the bigger drives are getting rid of them and moving to the smaller drives. Mostly due to portability. You will notice it is getting harder to purchase the bigger drives. A sure sign they are trying to move away from them. When it really comes down to power or no power, 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm on external drives I think it really doesn't matter much. Hard drive RPMs be noticeable if your main drive on your notebook is a 5400 RPM. But again on External drives doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. As far as reliability goes, I think both powered, and non powered have about the same life span. What I do see go bad, and one of the reasons why we replace clients drives is the power pack goes out on the powered units. And you can be sure after 3 or 4 years of use finding a replacement power pack for your old external drive is pretty tough.

One last note. Hard drives only have about a 5 year life span. If you are using drives that meet or exceed that time period you are living on borrowed time before it fails. I recommend, if your data is valuable to you that you keep your data in multiple places. Usually when I set up a data collection external drive for a client I sell them 2 or 3 of them and make sure they swap them out regularly so they are never caught off guard and one is easy within reach should an emergency happen, for instance one plugged into the PC. one in a safe or another offsite location, then swap them the next day.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gr8shotz00 Find More Posts by gr8shotz00

Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 96.49.129.155

@PhotoDave1...
I have, in the past, did what you did (putting an internal into an external enclosure, also having removable drives in bays) but found the cost in both cases coming close to 'off the shelf' externals so I've not pursued that route. As it is, the removable drives' caddys made for a very warm environment around the drives and, I'm sure, advanced their demise.

The good points of removable caddys were the powering issue and the connectivity. But once you go that route you are stuck with only current computer with the bays installed. So there was some portability but not to the extent of a USB connection.

The other aspect of this is that the drives would be continually powered on especially given that I tend to leave the computer running 24/7. So this could lessen their lives.

On the otherhand I could, if I go with USB powered drives, face the current problem I have and that is namely that the computer seems to lose recognition of the USB drives. The 1TB is currently seen in Explorer but I've noticed that occasionally it's not there. The 500GB drive just is not recognized no matter how often I turn it on/off or plug in/unplug the USB cord. I did have someone from HP take control of the box and there was a temporary fix but it was lost after a bit.

With every time being a 'hit/miss' I'm hesitant to try to back up that drive...it has most of my RAW files on it. I'm getting to the point that I'm considering on ripping it apart and doing a direct internal connect to the drive ribbon. I'd hate to do that as it loses the reason for buying it (an external able to be disconnected) but right now the data is more important than any money I've put into it. Oh and btw...it's only a couple of years old with minimal usage so I wonder if it's a lemon drive or a lemon USB connection? I do get power to it and I can hear the drive spinning so that's not the problem.

I had thought that USB connection technology was supposed to be pretty stable. With my experiences I wonder about that.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

@gr8shotz00...
As I ponder this and get replies back I'm leaning more and more towards the smaller USB powered units. I hadn't even thought of the powerpacks going. If anything I had thought that the drives would crap out before an issue of the loss of power and the difficulty in finding the appropriate packs down the road.

It is my intention to only access the externals when I'm backing up or needing access to a file but given my problems with the USB drives not being recognized or losing recognition I have a healthy mistrust of this being a stable solution.

It's a Human characteristic to 'conserve energy' (i.e. be lazy. ) so once plugged in I don't like to unplug the externals...just in case I can't get them recognized again. What would be great is to leave the cords plugged but the drive (or Win7) only 'wake up' the drive when needed.

In any case, if I decide to go the smaller drive route then I'll make sure to keep to the same make/model and buy at least 2 at once.
Last edited by RHWeiner; 01-03-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: bad spelling. :)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 173.170.231.246

Richard:

It seems as if you have done a lot of research and some to some valid conclusions that will work for you but I think you have missed a couple of important points.

One of the reasons you have trouble getting Windows to recognize your drives is that the USB buss does not have enough power to reliable power anything other than a flash drive or a card reader. A hard drive draws just as much power as a scanner or mid-range printer, would you buy an un-powered scanner or printer?

Also, even as long as it has been out USB is still not an exact science and still has hiccups. Even I have problems with USB devices not being recognized but I have never had a problem with a powered USB device not being recognized. As you said, I do as well. I keep my portable drive plugged in to the outlet and the USB cable connected to my computer all the time and only turn the drive on when needed and it works fine for me. If a power pack were to ever fail they can be gotten for approx. $20.00 at Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics.

As a suggestion, you may want to look at an external solid state or eSATA drive. They are reliable and fast. For an eSATA drive you may have to put an add-in card into your computer.

If you have a lot of images or if your files are getting large consider a NAS Drive or an off-site storage web site.

You may also want to consider a BlueRay drive. They have a storage capacity of approx. 25 Gb per disc and that will hold a lot of images.

All options have pulses and minuses but you make your living with your images and certainly need to safeguard them. There are a multitude of options out there all with good and bad points but I am sure you will find one that works for you.

Good luck and please keep us advised as to your progress.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Dave, yup I've been doing a lot of thinking on this and weighing the pros/cons. It's not so straight forward.

As to the drives that aren't being recognized they both are power packed so the USB Buss is not powering them...it's just not recognizing them, not seeing them at all (Explorer or Device Manager). Also, like I said, the 1TB drive does get recognized if I do a reboot with it connected and powered but somewhere in time the computer seems to lose it! I'm really wondering if this is something with the computer itself. This is a refurbished HP desktop...makes me wonder about the stability of the motherboard. I don't really have any other issues than this whole USB thing. If I were only accessing a thumbdrive I wouldn't be so concerned but we *are* talking about the valuable '1's and '0's that make up my photographic files. So far I believe they are safe on that 500GB drive but can't be sure until/unless the computer will actually recognize the drive *and* stay stable long enough that I can copy the files over to a stable drive...most likely internal.

Solid State drives are getting bigger and less expensive but I'm very much the reflection of a GG member...doing this for fun and not money. But if I were ever to *have* to rely upon my images for income then this discussion would be of the highest prioriy. In the old days of film you would have to worry about safe storage of negs and prints but outside of the initial high costs of film prices, developing prices and printing prices, we now suffer in these days with the high costs of storage and processing ...both in terms of money and in time. There's the continual upgrading of hardware and software and I dare say we worry more about the technical side of our 'little diversion' staying viable than our skills behind the camera. I am so happy when I'm shooting and not so when I start the downloading.

I'll take your advice and start looking at NAS drives as well as off-site weighing the cost and effort. As to BluRay...what's the current lifespan of these discs? I'd hate to load up 25Gigs on only to lose it if the disc fails.

Fudge! Sometimes I think the Luddites had the right idea! LOL