Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Trying to help my friend become a model..
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65474
Comments: 0

DonMakaveli is offline IP: 69.150.212.239

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Not sure where this thread should go and hoenstly not exactly sure if this is the right forum for it but ima go ahead anyways. So I have this homegirl who is really a good girl and down to earth. Shes been through a lot of bull**** and she wants to do something with her life and I think she could honestly be a model. Not only I but a lot of people think shes beautiful. Shes been turned down in the past by 1 or 2 modeling agencies, I think, so shes kinda discouraged about trying again which is why I'm tryna do something for her myself. If anybody knows somewhere where I can get further help or if y'all know somebody or something etc. Here is a couple of pictures of her. Do you guys (and girls) think she has any potential?

View Public Profile Send a private message to DonMakaveli Find More Posts by DonMakaveli

Re: Trying to help my friend become a model..
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65416

SteveSweeter is offline IP: 74.226.132.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think she does have potential, but it is somewhat limited. Here's why:

From the full body shot you posted, she looks to be a little on the thick side, but still tight. It's hard to tell from the outfits she is wearing and the quality of these pictures. She doesn't appear to be short, but she's not tall either. I'm guessing she is somewhere around 5'5". She is Latina pretty (very pretty), but her features are on the heavier side, keeping her from being stunning or gorgeous. Once again, it could be the pictures.

Not meaning to be over harsh, but if these are the pictures she is showing agencies, I'm not surprised she is getting turned down. This is meant to be tough love, so please take it that way. They are over-processed and muddy with blown-out highlights and lost detail in the shadows. Her wardrobe sucks (sorry), the hairdos are lame, and I can't tell anything about her face, except that she needs to wax her eyebrows.

The key is for her to approach agencies that handle the types of modeling she is suited for and wants to do. She's not fashion or runway material, so if she approaches an agency that does mostly fashion, she is wasting her time and their time. I think she could do promotional and catalog work. That's good, steady work if she finds the right agency. If it is just the pictures that are making her look thick, she could also possibly do swimwear and nude.

If she has an idea that some agency will see her and suddenly decide she needs to be on the cover of Cosmo, it's a pipe dream. If she has an idea that she can get some steady work as a paid model, she can probably do it, but it will take a lot of work and time. She needs to network. She needs to seek out good photographers and get as much TF* work as she can. She may need to pay a photographer to shoot a portfolio. There are plenty of good photographers out there who will work with her on the money side. I know I would. She needs to sign up on the modeling and photography social networks: One Model Place, Model Mayhem, iStudio, etc. Facebook and Myspace are fine for what they do, but I can tell you from experience that any model who walks into an agency with nothing but her Facebook pics is in for a rude awakening. I know people on this forum are pretty down on MM, but there is no better or faster way for beginners to build a professional network. She is far more likely to find a photographer who will work with her on MM than if she just goes cold-calling. If she builds a reputation as a model who won't flake and who always shows up for her shoots on time and prepared, word will spread quickly.

That's my advice, others may have more.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveSweeter Find More Posts by SteveSweeter

Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.56.201.154

When it comes to stuff like modeling, acting, and more, nothing is more important than persistence and determination. Nothing.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.246.38

I think the suggestions here are good ones and I want to add to this discussion.

The most important thing is that your friend needs to have a plan and stick to that plan. She needs to decide what themes or genres of modeling she does best and work to maximize her presence in those areas.

One Model Place (OMP) was mentioned as a possible networking venue and while I agree 100% with the value of networking I would advise avoiding OMP. They were good when they first started but since then it has been a rapid decline. Their interface is horrible, the prices they charge for membership are outrageous, they allow so-called "model managers" (ie: sluggos) on the site, and basically the site has so many problems it just isn't worth the trouble.

OMP froze my Page along with a couple of thousand others due to a "glitch" and over two weeks later they still haven't been able to get it figured out but yet they keep asking their paying members to "be patient". Brent, the owner/manager is equally unimpressive and doesn't help OMP either. I get the feeling he things he is the ultimate GWC which I wouldn't see that as a compliment but perhaps he does.

The most important things are having your friend network and get herself out here and having a plan and saying with it. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 09-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65416

SteveSweeter is offline IP: 74.226.132.63

I mentioned OMP, but I have to agree with Dave. I am getting ready to drop my membership there. The forums have become a wasteland, and the "Showcase" and "Picture of the Day" features are pathetic. I've seen better-looking photos come from Instamatics. They posted a notice that models needed to stop posting self-shot and cell phone pics (yeah, really), but they don't enforce it. Lately, as Dave implied very politely, it seems to have become a haven for weirdos and perverts.

So, let me withdraw the suggestion that she join OMP.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveSweeter Find More Posts by SteveSweeter

Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.240.181.245

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
One Model Place (OMP) was mentioned as a possible networking venue and while I agree 100% with the value of networking I would advise avoiding OMP. They were good when they first started but since then it has been a rapid decline. Their interface is horrible, the prices they charge for membership are outrageous, they allow so-called "model managers" (ie: sluggos) on the site, and basically the site has so many problems it just isn't worth the trouble.
While I won't defend OMP or dispute a word of what you said, some of the same things could be said of GarageGlamour...

Now when is that new software rolling out? [said with tongue firmly in cheek]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.246.38

I want to add one more thing to this topic and to me it is important enough to put into its own thread and that is to as a model (or a photographer) always keep your word. You are your own best PR Agent and you never know when something you do that you don't think is a big deal will come back to haunt you.

I don't think anyone could argue that Model Mayhem is the largest model and photography sit on the internet (and large does not equal best) but with that said the flake rate there is enormous and at times out of control. I have actually had several people tell me that Model Mayhem was responsible for the creation of the term flake as it relates to model no shows.

It is never a good idea to believe everything anyone tells you because there are always two sides to every situation. Just because Sara told her BGF Nancy that George yelled at her at their shoot a week ago doesn't mean that is the entire story. What Sara left out was that she was 45 minutes late to the shoot and she didn't bother to call, email, or text. If Nancy decides to flake on George because of what Sara told her then she gets put on a black list, or a flake list, or a no-show list and we wind up with even more hurt feelings when all of this could have been avoided if the right questions had been asked.

Too many so-called "Models" in this day and time do not take their modeling seriously and they wind up out clubbing until 3:00 AM in the morning and then decide to blow off their 7:00 AM shoot without a phone call or a text and think that it isn't a big deal and no one will care. I can tell you for a fact that people who invest their time to set up a shoot and secure a location, and engage an MUA and everything else that goes into a shoot do care and they do not like having their time needlessly wasted by someone who does not take their modeling seriously.

There are way too many little girls on the internet modeling who should never be there and we all suffer because of it. Just because a boyfriend tells you he thinks you are pretty or because you think you look good naked in front of a bathroom mirror does not mean that you have what it takes to be a model and in many cases you don't.

Modeling is work and a lot of hard work and it takes a huge commitment and if a person is not willing to give 100% then they shouldn't be modeling. Take it seriously, represent yourself well, and you will do OK. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 09-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63976

douglas carl is offline IP: 68.112.181.157

Bravo. Well said Dave.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to douglas carl Find More Posts by douglas carl